#24 explorer2770

explorer2770

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon VanNess, Ph.D.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

Finally got these back out and started working on them.  While I wait for some plastruct parts to arrive so I can start the plumbing work, I decided to cut one of the cabs down to a regular.  Not perfect, and it still needs some work after the milliput sets up (not shown in these photos).  I used some tape to trace the door curve, then carefully cut out the center section. 

543bf146-fce2-4eaf-bbb3-a49a18139ce4_zps

Once that was done, I measured the cab and then cut down the interior to fit (yes, it still needs more work and some putty). 

94653ef6-853b-4dbb-8bc7-b48dcd8bcf2f_zps

Things to do yet, way too many.  Now to work on the chassis and get both set up for a makeshift stock 4x4 wth dual rear wheels. Time to get a jig ready for leaf springs, then wait for Spring to arrive so I can start painting these trucks and maybe get them done by April.

#25 explorer2770

explorer2770

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

I did get some progress done on the chassis for both trucks this week.  The frame rails were not that difficult to make, what took forever was the mounting brackets and rear leaf springs.  The rear suspension will not be 100% prototypical since I'm not adding the helper leafs above the main leaf springs and will pin the rear mounts to the frame rails once I get the ride height correct.  The front suspension on the extended cab is from the Revell Escalade kit and I'm currently waiting on the two part mold to cure to get it back.  I will be using the solid metal axle wheels and tires from the AMT Silverado 3500 kit, so that part works just fine for me.  Wish I could get my hands on a few more of these suspension parts as I hate parting out the Escalade kit just for that part.     

IMG_2623_zps966275b8.jpg

A closer look at the bottom of the chassis shows how I adapted my scratch built parts to the kit part chassis.  Not pretty or prototypical, but the bonds better hold the weight of the model otherwise I'm up a creek without a paddle.

IMG_2629_zps40111fe6.jpg

My check list is slowly getting smaller.  Need to make a trip to Columbus this weekend to get more resin, styrene, and sanity.

#26 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:52 AM

Looking good!

David G.

#27 DrGlueblob

DrGlueblob

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Full Name:Chip Johnson

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

It looks RIGHT to me so far. Fun thing about fire apparatus is that most all of them are bastard children.. A mish-mash of factory stock, ALF-etc add ons, local dept. necessities.. Must be heck to judge at a contest.

#28 explorer2770

explorer2770

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

Thanks guys.  This is slowly progressing along.  I was able to pick some stuff up 2 weekends ago and have been busy ever since, mainly working on copying and improving the front suspension for future builds. 

As far as judging goes, two years ago they picked up the models to check the chassis detail.  I about fainted because I had a pickup bed full of semi-loose equipment.  That's what I get for the "I just threw it in there" look.

#29 race06

race06

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Full Name:Tracy Simet

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Awesome work my friend!! Where did U get the deck plate at?

#30 explorer2770

explorer2770

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Tracy.  The deck plate is Plastruct 1:100 diamond plate, the newest release that you can find in the LHS or their website.  If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, check to see if they have they are getting rid of their JTT Scenery Products, as JTT sells single diamond plate pattern in 3 scales: 1/100; 1/48; and 1/16 scale and double diamond plate in 1/24 and 1/16 scales.  I have some of the JTT double diamond plate in 1/24 scale that I picked up on clearance, which I consider to be too big in size for my builds, but will use up eventually.  I used up 2 sheets of Plastruct to make the 2 flatbeds and wish I had found the JTT sooner as it is a cheaper than the Plastruct product. 

#31 kymdlr

kymdlr

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Swans

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

pretty sweet built, This is the first ive heard of the duplicutter. I could use one of those. 

#32 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,372 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Brandon, very nice work so far

About the diamond plate,  check out Don Mills, he offers diamond plate, and from my understanding, its more accurate then everyone else, and his price is not to bad

http://www.ebay.com/...s-/321332627553

#33 explorer2770

explorer2770

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

There is no truly accurate 1/25 scale diamond plate on the market.  The DM product comes closest in pattern, but it is 3 times as thick as the Plastruct and JTT materials. 

If you have a project that already has diamond plate on it, such as the AMT LaFrance or Trumpeter LaFrance kits, you can copy that pattern using aluminum foil and epoxy.  Burnish the pattern into aluminum foil and gently apply epoxy to fill the holes.  Wait for the epoxy to fully dry before you handle the pattern.  Once it is dry, cut to desired size and then use a little more epoxy to glue it to your build.  That way, the pattern matches what is already there.

We each have our own build styles and products that we frequent, so finding what works best for your style is a must.  DM, Plastruct, or JTT all make diamond plate.  I recommend starting with the JTT since it is the cheapest, and if you screw up a cut, you don't end up wasting a lot of money.  But that is my own opinion on the matter.

I'll get some updates once I get back from break...and the weather finally warms up enough to paint.

#34 Duntov

Duntov

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Lucianno

"Mi sono perso"

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

I like your approach to scratch building with sheet styrene---nice work!!!

#35 explorer2770

explorer2770

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Well, here's where my extended cab's chassis work is currently: 

chassis1_zps71948bb1.jpg

chassis3_zps9c98cadf.jpg

The helper leafs didn't turn out well, but after 6 tries, I finally just went with these.  Rear axle is a resin copy that I made of a Dana 60? with a 1/8 metal shaft, then covered with 5/32 tubing to accept the rear axle from the AMT Silverado 3500 dually.  The shocks came from the Revell snap-tite Peterbilt and I used paper clips for the U-bolts.  The fuel tanks are scratchbuilt from styrene and have gone through 3 iterations to get the right look.  Not perfect, but all 6 tires sit nice and level. 

Now to focus on the transmission...what was I thinking trying to make these AWD?