buffalobill

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Mathewson

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

Harry P. wrote "huh ??? - explain, please"

re: the clear plastic hood on '49/'50 Oldsmobiles - they were offered to Olds dealers (from GM) to showcase Olds' new ohv V8 engine.   

In 1949 - the first model year that the new Olds V8 was offered - the hood was mostly clear Plexiglass, and was a lift-off only type of hood that was intended to be only used on new Olds V8-equipped models in Oldsmobile dealers' showrooms as a promotional display. . . There's an original for sale on eBay as of today - it's offered @ $750 (ref: eBay item # 360287360995.    Sorry - for some reason, I'm unable to post a direct link to that eBay auction -??)    The one on eBay is supposed to fit on the Olds 98 series; and I'm not sure if it would also fit on the smaller 88 body series, or if there was a similar hood for '88s, too.

In 1950, Olds dealers could display a new Olds w/ a metal hood that had two smaller Plexiglass 'window' panels that were on each side of the hood's centerline, as opposed to the type used on '49 models.    The '50 model year hoods were hinged & latched like their all-steel counterparts.    Some sources state that the general publc were able to purchase these hoods as an accessory from the Olds parts department.  

And, similar 2 window type hoods may have been available thru '53 on Oldsmobiles.

And, for even more trivia -

'33 Desoto had a promotional display of a car w/ a clear plastic hood to showcase it's engine - but, only for export markets.

'40 Pontiac - actually was a re-bodied '39 that was displayed @ the NY World's Fair in 1939.   It had clear plastic (Plexiglass ?) body panels; not just a clear hood.

'53 Dodge had a hood w/ a clear Plexiglass insert - most likely the 2 window type as on the '50-'53 Olds hoods - it was a dealer promo item to showcase Dodge's mini-hemi Red Ram V8.

'54 Ford had a promotional display type hood w/ a relatively large clear Plexiglass insert set in a steel hood.   1954 was the first model year for Ford's new ohv V8 (Y block) that replaced the venerable flathead V8.

'60 Chevy Corvair - GM supplied Chevy dealers w/ an almost completely clear Plexiglass engine cover - complete w/ louvers - that was a showroom only, lift-off type of engine cover over it's aluminum air-cooled flat 6.

all of the above info is courtesy of the H.A.M.B. forum.

Edited by buffalobill, 27 October 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#22 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Peter, I'd like a side-shot, too. A most interesting creation with your superb talents.

I like the taillights- remind me of the ones used on 1984-85 Buick LeSabres, which I always thought had one of the better tail designs of the downsized B-bodies.

Great everything on this. I hope you bring it to NNL next year; I'm planning to be there and would love to see it myself.

Charlie Larkin

#23 S. Svendsen

S. Svendsen

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Svendsen

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:37 AM

Cool custom work.

#24 ChrisR

ChrisR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Roos

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Great build!

#25 Kaleb

Kaleb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Full Name:Joshua

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

Peter, would you mind if I posted some of these gorgeous pics on Instagram? All credit goes to you.

#26 rv1963

rv1963

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Vaglio

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

Well done, nice top chop and I love the paint work.

#27 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

Nice work Peter! I have a project that I need to redo that uses a 60's roof on a 40's car. Yours came out beautifully!

#28 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Very Nice...Looks great!

#29 Island rods

Island rods

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Full Name:Graham Hughes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Like this a lot , the colour scheme is a good combo,

#30 Albie D

Albie D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Full Name:Albie DeFusco

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

This thing is tasty! 

#31 Peter Lombardo

Peter Lombardo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Full Name:Peter

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Guys, thanks so much, I really appreciate the very kind words about this build......I didn't expect it, so it really makes me glad I got this posted.......a few asked to see a side view, so here is a side view and a bottom view, since the chassis follows the same color combination as the car.

Side view

10544950244_d43daa26b2.jpg

and underside view

10545134853_ea1c6bf8c1.jpg

Again, thanks for looking.

#32 ctoelle

ctoelle

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Toelle

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

Holy moley, the bottom view is fantastic! I gotta quit painting mine mostly black

Edited by ctoelle, 28 October 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#33 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,382 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

The side shot is a WOW!

#34 Peter Lombardo

Peter Lombardo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Full Name:Peter

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Peter, would you mind if I posted some of these gorgeous pics on Instagram? All credit goes to you.

Absolutely, by all means go ahead.......thanks, Pete

#35 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,585 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Harry P. wrote "huh ??? - explain, please"

re: the clear plastic hood on '49/'50 Oldsmobiles - they were offered to Olds dealers (from GM) to showcase Olds' new ohv V8 engine.   

In 1949 - the first model year that the new Olds V8 was offered - the hood was mostly clear Plexiglass, and was a lift-off only type of hood that was intended to be only used on new Olds V8-equipped models in Oldsmobile dealers' showrooms as a promotional display. . . There's an original for sale on eBay as of today - it's offered @ $750 (ref: eBay item # 360287360995.    Sorry - for some reason, I'm unable to post a direct link to that eBay auction -??)    The one on eBay is supposed to fit on the Olds 98 series; and I'm not sure if it would also fit on the smaller 88 body series, or if there was a similar hood for '88s, too.

In 1950, Olds dealers could display a new Olds w/ a metal hood that had two smaller Plexiglass 'window' panels that were on each side of the hood's centerline, as opposed to the type used on '49 models.    The '50 model year hoods were hinged & latched like their all-steel counterparts.    Some sources state that the general publc were able to purchase these hoods as an accessory from the Olds parts department.  

And, similar 2 window type hoods may have been available thru '53 on Oldsmobiles.

And, for even more trivia -

'33 Desoto had a promotional display of a car w/ a clear plastic hood to showcase it's engine - but, only for export markets.

'40 Pontiac - actually was a re-bodied '39 that was displayed @ the NY World's Fair in 1939.   It had clear plastic (Plexiglass ?) body panels; not just a clear hood.

'53 Dodge had a hood w/ a clear Plexiglass insert - most likely the 2 window type as on the '50-'53 Olds hoods - it was a dealer promo item to showcase Dodge's mini-hemi Red Ram V8.

'54 Ford had a promotional display type hood w/ a relatively large clear Plexiglass insert set in a steel hood.   1954 was the first model year for Ford's new ohv V8 (Y block) that replaced the venerable flathead V8.

'60 Chevy Corvair - GM supplied Chevy dealers w/ an almost completely clear Plexiglass engine cover - complete w/ louvers - that was a showroom only, lift-off type of engine cover over it's aluminum air-cooled flat 6.

all of the above info is courtesy of the H.A.M.B. forum.

Ok... so the clear hoods were for display only. You never could buy an Olds with a clear hood.

#36 donb

donb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Full Name:Donald Betterton

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

The side shot is a WOW!

Agreed!

#37 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

Very cool Peter, nice work as usual! B)

#38 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

WOW Peter! When you  comeback you REALLY  comeback!! what a build. That and the TIMBS...

#39 DrKerry

DrKerry

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts
  • Full Name:Kerry Ingram

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:09 AM

Sweet!!!

#40 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana