gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

I am getting some ideas for winter projects and it's all Thunderbolts

What is the best rattle can choices for both the Maroon ( and Gold )  on the Tasca Ford and the Phil Bonner cars ?

Butch Leals car was black correct ?

Was the Conner Ford car a bright white or more of a milky white ?

#2 berr13

berr13

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Full Name:James Berry

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

I've gotten really close matches to the Ford burgundy color with Testors burgundy red.  I've used Testors light blue as an undercoat, and the result is remarkable.  I own a Heritage Burgundy '63 Falcon Sprint, and it's amazing how similar the painted model is to the real car.

#3 walterbog

walterbog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Full Name:walt bogdan

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:38 AM

butch leal`s thunderbolt was vintage burgundy, it was never painted black.the conner ford t-bolt was Wimbledon white,a creamy off-white.

#4 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

I guess no Duplicolor colors avail  thats reasonably close  ( reason being  they are avail locally and one can will do several cars )

What about the Bob Ford car ?

#5 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

Wimbleton White is still around as a Duplicolor truck and Van color in the tall 16 oz cans ..........

#6 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm no expert and don't have access to the full size paints you mention, but I have built most of these cars using Tamiya paints.  The Tasca car used the cans mentioned by Carl.  I picked up a can of Champagne Gold car paint to best match a picture I had of the Bob Ford car.  As an aside, I believe all cars came with tan coloured interiors.

I hope you have as much fun as I did, they are great kits to build with very few issues. :)

004-2.jpg

bobford2_zps458e032f.jpg

Edited by maltsr, 01 November 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#7 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Many Thanks fellas.

I will pick up the Tamaya paint next week if my local hobby shop has it, if not I will get some ordered.

Already have the Champange color on hand ( used it for a 1965 Dodge Interior color )

I think these kits set the bar for Revell  and I have maybe 10-12 kits unbuilt . Already have the Hubert Platt and Gas Ronda cars done.

Platt2_zps603a1b94.jpg

Ronda1_zps84ff28ca.jpg

Edited by gtx6970, 01 November 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#8 PappyD340

PappyD340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,260 posts
  • Full Name:Larry Dailey

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

WOW some great looking Thunderbolts, as Ed mentioned Duplicolor makes Wimbleton white!  :D 

#9 walterbog

walterbog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

I bought one from Yates Ford in Chicago, it was Baby Blue with a two tone blue interior!! I wish that I still had it, but with a new baby, I had to get rid of it!

when did you buy your t-bolt?was there a sponser name on the car?the reason I ask is I was not aware of the interior color other than gold/beige.of course anyone could have had the car painted blue after delivery.

#10 afxmustang

afxmustang

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Full Name:Karl Smalley

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:58 AM

The Butch Leal Thunderbolt with the 427 logo on the door was Burgundy. The California Flash car was in fact black. Try Krylon Brushed Metallic Champagne Nouveau for the interior. It is a satin finish and looks pretty close to the T Bolt interior color.

#11 SS Clone

SS Clone

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Full Name:Tomas Eriksson

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

take a look at paintref.com, there you will find the factory paint code. and then google "duplicolor search program" where you will find the code that duplicolor uses

#12 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Great info.

I will ck the Krylon color for the interiors .

I looked thru my decal sheets and I have 2 different sheets for the Leal car. A white lettering sheet that has ' Frank Leal and Sons '  on it.

And a 2nd sheet that has both white and gold lettering on it ( Fred Cady sheet ) maybe it does both cars ?

I also have sheets to do the Archway Ford car, the Bob Ford car, Reynolds Ford, and the Al Means Ford

I think I have my work cut out for me over the next 6 months (give or take 6 months )

#13 walterbog

walterbog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

like any model the color you paint your car is your choice but the facts are when butch leal received his thunderbolt it was vintage burgundy and he raced it with the gold mr 427 on the door later he changed the name to California  Flash in gold  but the car was still vintage burgundy.fred cady was incorrect in saying the car was black with white lettering.a lnternet image search will show several color photos of the mr 427 car and at least one color photo of the California flash car.

#14 oldcarfan

oldcarfan

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Full Name:Gary

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

You can go to this site: http://www.tcpglobal...4-Ford-pg05.jpg and it has color chips. There may be some variation due to being on a screen, but if you put it on your smart phone or print it out and take it to the store, it should get you pretty close. I have used Duplicolor quite a bit. I found that a lot of the GM colors came close. I don't have the cans anymore, but there was a GM color that matched Vintage Burgundy quite closely and I also found a pretty close match for the 1962 Ford light green in GM colors.

#15 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

I don't know if you can find it,but the Wimbledon white color was available in the Testors line.

#16 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Ok,

A couple more questions in regards to T bolts, whci ones were auto and which ones were 4 spds  ?

Al Means Ford  car - 4 spd ?

Conner Ford  car -  4 spd ?

Butch Leal car , pretty sure was a 4 spd car ?

Archway Ford car  ?

Bob Ford car ? I found several pics of this car, some gold wtih black roof , some all yellow . Same car - different time period ? or 2 completely different cars?

Tasca Ford car - 4 spd ?

#17 afxmustang

afxmustang

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Full Name:Karl Smalley

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

I did some more research on the Leal car and Walt is correct, the car was not black. The Cady decals are wrong .Bob Ford sponsored several T-Bolts. The Len Richter 4 speed car was gold with a black top. In 65 it was painted yellow and driven by Kenny Vogt. It ran mostly in A/MP.They also had a gold & black automatic car. It did not have Thunderbolt on the rear quarter panel. A third car was T Bolt Too. Whole car was same color with a dark hood bubble. Most likely gold/black. They also sponsored a car for Emmett Rattlesnake Austin who ran it down south. It was white. He converted it to an altered wheelbase car and painted it black.

Edited by afxmustang, 04 November 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#18 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

I don't know if you can find it,but the Wimbledon white color was available in the Testors line.

Was available, it is scarce now.

#19 250 Testa Rossa

250 Testa Rossa

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Full Name:Maxx Kominski

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Any info about Mickey Thompson's Ford Thunderbolt?

#20 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Any info about Mickey Thompson's Ford Thunderbolt?

It's the Butch Leal car, he was hired as a driver by Mickey Thompson.  The Archway Ford was a four-speed.