#21 250 Testa Rossa

250 Testa Rossa

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Full Name:Maxx Kominski

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Is it the one that says M/T Prepared on the front fenders?

#22 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

That's the one you can check it out here

http://www.butchleal.com/home.html

#23 walterbog

walterbog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Full Name:walt bogdan

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:56 AM

thank you karl,i too thought the butch leal car was black till someone corrected me and further research verified it.the California flash name change came after the indy nats win when ford sent butch fiberglass doors which put the car in a/fx but it did not matter as a independent  he was going to match race the car because that's where the money was.now for bill,according to my t-bolt vin list the conner ford was delivered with a automatic.it was first raced by don bowles in s/sa but later the designation on the car said s/s which means he converted to a 4 speed he also ran a/fx which let him run 10" slicks.many automatic t-bolts switched to the borg warner 4speed and later in 1964 the ford toploader 4 speed.the bob ford car driven by paulk Harvey and bill Humphrey was delivered and raced in 1964 as a automatic, in fact it was the first automatic car built. it was later converted to a 4 speed by Harold turner ford. the rest of the cars on your list were all 4speed cars.hope this helps.

#24 Burnout

Burnout

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Smith

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

Info on MT's ("hemi") Thunderbolt:

http://www.woodyg.co...lane/mt64tbolt/

#25 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Many thanks to all.

I really appreciate it .

Now, I just need to get to work

Considering the cars were all very similar . Outside of exterior color - 4 spd versus auto. this should be pretty easy builds to do ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should be .

I know the slicks in the kits are technically wrong for the builds . And I knew the best rear slicks were the Johan slicks. And I doubt I have enough of them to do all these. And I know the AMT tires packages were to wide/tall for the years and S/S class designation to be replicated.

Are there any other good sources for an accurate rear tire besides going aftermkt or is that my best option ?

#26 walterbog

walterbog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

bill, the t-bolts originally came with 9.50x15 firestone drag slicks but most teams switched to m&h slicks because the firestone rubber compound was too hard to get good traction.early on the t-bolts ran a/fx till the nhra required number were built.the problem with the revell kit slicks is the wheel size is too large.finding correct width s/s  7" pie crust(recap style) slicks without going the aftermarket route is possible.another thing to remember is all nhra legal super stocks had to have a exhaust system with muffler. even the nhra legal a/fx cars had to have this type exhaust system although it was removed for match racing and most meets.the muffler used was a aftermarket Monroe goldtone muffler. all the 7" and 10" slicks were the pie crust style, usually m&h.even if you find the correct width cheater slicks they wont have the grooves cut in the slicks that you can find in the aftermarket. it depends how accurate you want to be.

#27 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:04 AM

So these are my best option for the S/S cars  ?

I want them to look accurate,, at least to a point. But not enough I want to have a big money tied up in aftermkt stuff either.

http://speedcityresi...ubberSlicks.jpg

I'll have to look thru my stash and see what I have in the parts box without robbing from unbuilt Johan kits . Then decide how to procede..

Something I just thought of,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is if I change the rear tires , it'll require a wheel change as well, which will require a Ft tire / wheel change as well to look right,,,,,,,, decisions decisions decisions

#28 walterbog

walterbog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

bill, let us know what cars you are doing in super stock and then I can check my photos to see what wheels they ran. nhra would not allow a lighter wheel  than the ones that were offered with the car.t-bolts came with steel wheels and rader wheel were an option.

#29 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

bill, let us know what cars you are doing in super stock and then I can check my photos to see what wheels they ran. nhra would not allow a lighter wheel  than the ones that were offered with the car.t-bolts came with steel wheels and rader wheel were an option.

Thanks . When I get to the point I am ready to start these I post with questions  ( probably a winter project ) If the weather holds out I may try to get bodies painted in the next few weeks .

I have the decals to do all the cars I have listed in addition to the 2 I already have finished

#30 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Thanks . When I get to the point I am ready to start these I post with questions  ( probably a winter project ) If the weather holds out I may try to get bodies painted in the next few weeks .

I have the decals to do all the cars I have listed in addition to the 2 I already have finished

When painting/decaling the bodies, watch out for the colour insert in the side-trim, could be black, white or body colour.  And don't foil the driprails, these were painted on the full size cars.

#31 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Stevens International used to have the formerly Johann style of slicks in a four pack. Maybe someone still has them.

#32 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:12 AM

When painting/decaling the bodies, watch out for the colour insert in the side-trim, could be black, white or body colour.  And don't foil the driprails, these were painted on the full size cars.

All the T bolts shared the same color and trim of interior correct? only differences were auto or 4 spd

Were some column auto - versus floor shift  ?

16095_Interior_Web_zps25f34256.jpg

#33 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

different car - same interior trim

hrdp_0001_11_z1964_ford_thunderboltinter

#34 walterbog

walterbog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

bill, all interiors were the same.column 3spd automatic shifter.floor mounted 4spd shifter.

#35 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

I wonder whos car this was then ?

No idea when or where I snagged the pic off the net .

Something else I've noticed none havea roll bar, and almost every T-Bolt interior pic I've found they all have the back seat in them. So I assume that was required by the NHRA at the time ?

800px-1964_thunderbolt_interior_zpse5e14

Edited by gtx6970, 07 November 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#36 250 Testa Rossa

250 Testa Rossa

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Info on MT's ("hemi") Thunderbolt:

http://www.woodyg.co...lane/mt64tbolt/

Yes, this is the car

#37 Burnout

Burnout

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Smith

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

At some point roll bars became mandatory (obviously) but in the early to mid-sixties, for S/S cars, roll bars were not required but the back seat had to remain in the car.  Then, there was a period where, the back seat could be removed but only if it was replaced with a roll bar.

Good luck with your project.  I'll be following along as I've got the 'bolt on my short list.

#38 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

At some point roll bars became mandatory (obviously) but in the early to mid-sixties, for S/S cars, roll bars were not required but the back seat had to remain in the car.  Then, there was a period where, the back seat could be removed but only if it was replaced with a roll bar.

Thanks, thats what I figured. I usually build to replicate the time frames when the cars were new . But at the most nothing newer than about  1974 time frame  on just about everything.

Once I get rolling  I'll post a few pics along the way . I restore 1/1 cars for a living and at the moment I am quite busy . So model bench time is not easy to come by right now , so these will be winter projects

#39 ToyLvr

ToyLvr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Adams

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Bill:

The Testors "Wimbledon White" was available at Villa Hobby when I was in there recently....

Mike

#40 250 Testa Rossa

250 Testa Rossa

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

Is the Street Machine release different than the other releases of the Revell Thunderbolt?