Model Cars Magazine Forum

Olde Pot Belly Gangs Show - Sunday, Nov. 3, 2013

Ramfins59

I'm surprised that no one has posted anything about this show being held tomorrow at the New Stanton Vol. Fire Dept., 108 South Main St., New Stanton, PA The show is 9 AM to 4 PM. Admission is $5 at the door which covers your first model entry. Additional models entered are $1 each. Peoples Choice Awards for 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place Awards. Best of Show is a Cash Award (Doesn't say how much). Registration and voting until Noon and awards will be presented at 4 PM.

Model Classes are;

1 Street Rod - Pre 1960

2 Street Machine - Post 1960

3 Custom Automobile

4 Competition - All Types

5 Commercial Vehicles

6 Factory Stock Vehicles

7 Dioramas - Limited to 12" X 12"

8 Other - Military, Sci-Fi, etc.

9 Junior - 16 or younger

Hopefully some of us local modelers will be there if you haven't already made plans for the day. See you there.

Yeah Jeff, I met George at the show today. It was a small show by some standards... some nice vendors,,,

I went to this show last year and won a Third Place award in Street Rod, but they ran out of their award ribbons and had to mail one to me over a month later.

Today I took 3 Third Place awards (Street Rod, Custom & Factory Stock) for which I was very pleased...... However, for the Factory Stock award, they AGAIN had ran out of their award ribbons and said they would have to get one to me......AGAIN......!!!!!! and they couldn't tell me which car the award was for (I had entered 2 cars in the Factory Stock Class). Believe me, I'm not upset that I didn't get to bring home another little ribbon as I know it'll show up in my mailbox eventually. My question is:

How does a model club who advertises First through Third Place Awards in 8 or 9 Classes run out of the awards 2 YEARS IN A ROW...??? Can you say poor planning or what? Plus, I had mentioned to a couple of their club members at the admissions table that no one from their club had listed any info on this show on this model car Forum. The response was "Yeah, we should have done that." Ya think..??

I will have to give serious consideration about attending this show in the future.

Well Turbo, that's not necessarily the best way to run a model show. Yes, you want vendors to buy your tables (obviously to help offset the cost of putting on the show) and to have a good, wide selection of goodies for the show participants and spectators to hopefully buy, however, the first and foremost consideration should be for the show's participants and entrants in order to make them want to keep coming back to the show in the future.

I'm not just talking out of my hat here. When I lived back in NY, as a longtime member of the Long Island Auto Replica Society (L.I.A.R.S Club). for about 12 years I helped to plan, set up, get vendors, get trophy sponsors, promote, advertise, judge, and whatever else might have been needed in order to help the club to put on the best show we possibly could.

Hopefully the powers that be within T.O.P.G. Club will take the necessary steps to be better prepared and organized for future shows.

I got the flyer at the Castle Shannon show and was surprised that there were not more details posted on here. Kinda glad I didn't make it to this one then(not really) I was going to go but my truck blew up on Monday, found a new truck on Saturday and thought about still going but needless to say I didn't want to spend the money. I realize I could have went and not spent a dime but we all know how that goes...lol. Its a shame that there are not more local shows, as in more than once a year.