#21 Tom Kren

Tom Kren

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kren

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I buy a case of the wagons!!!!! we need more wagons!!!!

#22 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Wagons are cool.....Wagonrod's are even better !!! ;)

#23 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

The Del Rio had the Anodized Piece. 

The Ranchero came in Two trim level's

Base level No side trim, Deluxe had the Single Full length Chrome.

The Del Rio added the Anodized piece and upper trim, And most of the

Fairlane 500 options that would fit.

One thing about getting a Fairlane 500, or even Fairlane Victoria out of this kit.

The Base level Custom & Custom 300 are shorter, and have a Shorter wheel base

than the Fairlane & 500!!!

Only the Chrome & Engine would carry over. Everything else would have to be

replaced, including Chassis frame!

Yes I would Love to see the Skyliner offered, As well as a Fairlane 500 Sunliner, and the 'Squire!!

#24 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

How 'bout a Meteor?    B)

57metrnch1_zps93b2496f.jpg

mike

#25 buffalobill

buffalobill

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Mathewson

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

The '57 Ford Custom (as is Revell's kit), both 2 & 4 door wagons, and the Ranchero shared the same 116" wheelbase, while the Fairlane and Fairlane 500s, incl the retractable, had a 118" wheelbase.   The Rancheros & wagons shared much under their exterior sheet metal, incl the wagon's floor that was also use under the Ranchero, as the pickup bed sat on top of the that sheet metal floorl.   The Ranchero had a spare tire was inside the cab and mounted behind the passenger seat.   

It seems that if Revell did either a Ranchero or a 2 door wagon, they could both utilize a considerable number of the '57 Custom tudor sedans pieces for both a Ranchero and a wagon.   They could also do a Custom 300 tudor sedan version of the current kit, as the main differences would be the side trim, and a need for upgraded seats & interior side panels.    

Something that I'm not sure of is whether Ford offered more than 2 trim levels on the Ranchero in '57. . .I've see them w/out any side trim - not even the short piece found on the Custom tudor sedan.    And, I've also seen them w/ the same piece of side trim that's on the Custom tudor (as in the Revell kit).    And, I've seen them w/ the long single sweeping piece that runs front to back - that seems to be the most common trim level produced.   However, I also have seen more than a few w/ the anodized trim piece above that front to back piece; exactly as found on Custom 300 sedans and on the Del Rio wagons..     Could that have been a dealer installed option, as I haven't found a reference to it in any '57 Ford brochures?

#26 PeeBee

PeeBee

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Boucher

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:28 AM

Huh. Never knew that about the different wheelbases on these cars; I always assumed that they were distinguished just by trim levels. I thought it'd be cool if Revell released a Fairline 500 convertible (not a Skyliner), and maybe a Country Squire based on this new tooling. Oh, well.

#27 66belair

66belair

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Boyle

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

I'm in on a couple of wagons,that is a beautiful 50's design.

#28 buffalobill

buffalobill

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

Lots of good info here re: history, specs, images, & details on each '57 Ford body style produced in that model year -

http://www.1957ford.com/index.aspx

There seems to be some misinformation concerning the wheelbase of some '57 Ford wagons on the internet.   (surprised? - nope)    The above site has multiple references to all wagons having A 116" wheelbase (same as all other models except the two Fairlane series that had a 118" wheelbase).

But, there's other on-line references to '57 Ford wagons - specifically, 4 door wagons - being on either 118" or 119" wheelbases.    

Back in the day there were discussions re: the compromise made by Revell concerning the wheelbase of their old tool  '57 Ranchero that they based on their '57 Country Squire tooling.   Not sure why that would be an issue, as the Ranchero utilized the wagon's chassis and rear floor sheet metal.

#29 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,018 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

There seems to be some misinformation concerning the wheelbase of some '57 Ford wagons on the internet.   (surprised? - nope)    The above site has multiple references to all wagons having A 116" wheelbase (same as all other models except the two Fairlane series that had a 118" wheelbase).

That seems to be what most 'sites have listed- 118" w.b. for the two Fairlane models, and 116" w.b. for the rest, so the two Fairlanes are probably out from Revell. I say the Ranchero, Tudor Ranch Wagon, and Country Squire are all coming from Revell eventually.  ^_^

#30 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,667 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

So I'll throw a rock in the pond!  

All the speculation as to which 1957 body style will follow....   IF I was Revell, I think my follow up would be a '58 Ford 2 door.  I think that would be a better seller than another '57, especially since there hasn't been a '58 since.... maybe '58!

#31 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,220 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

A new tool 59 would be great as well.

#32 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Before Bill Lastovich passed away, who worked at Revell, he was a guest speaker at one of our club banquets and he indicated to us that the wagon or Ranchero might follow the newly about to be released '57 Ford kit. How soon is anybody's guess. I can wait, especially at the rate that I complete model kits.

#33 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,670 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Looks like we have something to look forward to...

#34 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,240 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

A wagon would be the best next option. A two door has never been released , and they are still hot with builders . If they wait to long the next big thing will be rolling.

The Ranchero will always be a good safe bet. If they want to cash in on the wagon craze they better hurry . 

#35 mrknowetall

mrknowetall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Full Name:Don Banes

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

I'd vote for a longroof '57, although I'd really like to see a '58 Ford instead.  But that's just me. 

#36 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

NO INSIDE INFO HERE..........But.....

Look how the industry works today,  Moebius tools a 52 Hudson.....and in the mold is a 53 Hudson and a 52 or 53 convertible. (and more I'm sure)

Revell tools a all new 49 Mercury coupe. Then we find out it has a Mercury wagon in the tool.....and I bet a 51 down the road....

Revell tools a 57 Ford.....you know they did it because it lends itself to OTHER kits without tooling a whole kit.

It's a no brainer.......

Just build something and see what happens later in the year....

Edited by Dave Van, 08 November 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#37 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:44 AM

Either a wagon or a Ranchero would be very cool. I would welcome either or both. The 58 Ford would be great also.

#38 Nxr

Nxr

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Full Name:Eugene Zaets

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:13 AM

any ranchero would be cool, i really like the 70,71 and the 72 versions, the dual tone 50's racheros are really cool though.

#39 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Heh.  John Mueller is said to have handled Revell's '57 Ford, right?

Maybe that was the only way for smarter heads to prevail...

#40 buffalobill

buffalobill

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

AMT's '58 Edsel's chassis and much of the drivetrain can be used to upgraded their much earlier tooled '57 Fairlane 500 hardtop kit. . .note: the '57's V8s were Y-blocks, while the Edsel had an FE series engine that was also introduced in the '58 Fords.    

More trivia:

- the grill found on the (Canadian) Meteor version of the '57 Ford is found in AMT's '57 Ford FaIrlane 500 kit, and should be an easy mod if one's building Revell's '57 Ford.

- back in the day, '58 Edsel station wagon ('boomarang' shaped) taillights were used on many customized '57 Fords - esp Rancheros and '57 Thunderbirds.   On the full size Fords, it was necessary to add a small 'flare' along the lower portion of the rear fender for the lower portion of the taillight, but on Thunderbirds, the lower portion of the taillight was essentially tucked in behind the bumper.   Those Edsel taillights are also found in AMT's '57 Fairlane 500 kit. 

- one last thing: another popular (and super easy & cost effective) change seen quite often was to use the '56 Ford's F-100 headlight buckets & trim to 'french' in the '57 Fords headlights, as many thought that the stock '57 Ford headlight buckets gave a bug-eyed look to an otherwise attractive front end. 

Edited by buffalobill, 08 November 2013 - 07:48 PM.