#41 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

For some reason, I keep thinking of James Dean and his Porsche Spyder in relation to this wreck. Ken, I too have wonder about this car, 6 owners in 8 years and what sounds like well under 5k on the clock (I put similar mileage on my Jeep last winter alone), and then to find out it that these cars are difficult for even more experienced drivers (like Stig #2) to control and that this car had separate issues of it's own...............

Kinda waiting for Barris to say he told Walker that this was a "bad" car like he says he warned Dean of on that Spyder.

#42 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

CNN just reported that the Carrera GT is disappearing at a rapid rate because people don't know how to drive them. For example, they say there were initially 15 of them in Las Vegas and now there are 6.

#43 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,870 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm still surprised that any yahoo can rent a Viper or similar hot car on the strip, regardless of whether or not he knows how to handle one.

#44 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

... indicated straight skid marks into the pole and a trail of power steering fluid.  If Roger had been able to steer the car, then obviously the skid marks would swerve away from the pole....

Well, see...not necessarily. When brakes are locked-up, like if the ABS was malfunctioning OR dis-engaged, locked wheels DON'T steer. The car slides straight on the course it was established on when the brakes locked up. Steering does not return until the brakes unlock, and the wheels begin to turn again.

Of course, a trained professional driver should know immediately to take his foot off of the brake to unlock the wheels and regain steering control...assuming the brakes WOULD release. I don't know all the possible failure modes of the systems on this particular vehicle...obviously it's so rare and expensive I've never even seen a real one...but an ABS failure coupled with a steering failure is surely conceivable in a vehicle that's supposedly been plagued with problems.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 03 December 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#45 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'm still surprised that any yahoo can rent a Viper or similar hot car on the strip, regardless of whether or not he knows how to handle one.

...Or buy one.

When ABS first hit the market on top line vehicles, I witnessed several destroyed by untrained owners who thought you could go into any turn way too hot, and the ABS would save you. Nope.

#46 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

As far as renting or buying an exotic car, there are NO qualifications other than havin' the "cash to flash." Simple.

#47 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Well, see...not necessarily. When brakes are locked-up, like if the ABS was malfunctioning OR dis-engaged, locked wheels DON'T steer. The car slides straight on the course it was established on when the brakes locked up. Steering does not return until the brakes unlock, and the wheels begin to turn again.

Bill, I think you and I are barking up the same tree...only you are on the way up a little faster.  I hadn't thought of the locked steering with locked wheels factor.  But still yet, as you said, a professional driver should have had the presence to lift off the brakes and regain steering UNLESS the brakes were stuck and he couldn't.  Locked brakes, failed steering, or both could have played roles.

#48 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have been wondering Ken if they have a clear video they have not shown. They have shown the distant views. They did say the autopsy was complete on both tonight and a freeze of the results has been put on releasing the information.

#49 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

That's an interesting question.  I have not heard whether there have been clear videos released.  You would think, being in a business park, the cameras would be running everywhere.  On holding the autopsy information, I am sure they are busy either using the data to help sort out what happened or they are deciding just what to let the public know and getting their collaborative stories straight.

#50 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:11 AM

Ken, watched the news this morning and they reported that there was no fluid leaks any where and there was 60 seconds after impact before the car blew up. so this was new to me. Really seems like little bits and pieces keep coming out..

#51 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

Yeah, it's really starting to bug me how much this story makes less sense every day.  If the car didn't blow up until 60 seconds after impact, then I can't help but wander if they were knocked unconscious or killed on impact.

#52 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

If the autopsy results are released it might tell us their condition before the fire. Wouldn't think one of the reporters would try to find previous owners and see if they had problems with the car...

#53 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

If the autopsy results are released it might tell us their condition before the fire. Wouldn't think one of the reporters would try to find previous owners and see if they had problems with the car...

What's to say they haven't tried and don't want to be involved from a respect for the dead and/or any possible legal reasons. Does seem like Porsche has a PR nightmare on their hands, and that will get worse if the investigation indicates that it was the vehicles characteristics or other problems that caused the wreck.

#54 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

I don't think previous owners have any legal issues here. The guy driving was a professional and speed was a factor. so after it was sold who knows what happened. Past owners l am sure can tell their experience with the car. l bet there are computer records everytime the car was ever touched

#55 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

Thing is, it's really easy to blame the car, but there was a serious lapse of judgement and taking personal responsibility that actually was the primary contributing factor to this tragedy.

No matter how you analyze this crash, it's absolutely and completely 100% obvious that the vehicle was traveling at a rate of speed completely not-appropriate for the location and conditions.

Cars do not disintegrate and explode when crashed if they're traveling at sane speeds for a "business park" that has fixed objects around.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 04 December 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#56 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

OK, the autopsy report is released.  Now take what is said here with a grain of salt because it is a tabloid.  Then again. TMZ, another tabloid was one of the first places my wife got the news.  If I am reading this correctly, Roger died before the cabin caught fire and Paul was injured and well, yeah.  I will give him the courtesy of not describing the rest...certainly not a passing of deserving of someone who did so much for others in life.  Just read for yourself.  Very sad situation folks.  Count your blessings for your friends and loved ones.

http://omg.yahoo.com...-184538201.html

Edited by Skydime, 04 December 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#57 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the info Ken and I do count my blessings everyday for my friends and loved ones. I can think of a few times over the last 50 years behind the wheel, that I could have met my maker. I guess it just wasn't my "time" and I'm very thankful for it.

#58 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thing is, it's really easy to blame the car, but there was a serious lapse of judgement and taking personal responsibility that actually was the primary contributing factor to this tragedy.

No matter how you analyze this crash, it's absolutely and completely 100% obvious that the vehicle was traveling at a rate of speed completely not-appropriate for the location and conditions.

Cars do not disintegrate and explode when crashed if they're traveling at sane speeds for a "business park" that has fixed objects around.

Thank you, if these had been 2 unknown guys they would be up for a Darwin award. Sorry thing too, it seems they were real standup guys.

#59 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

OK, the autopsy report is released.  Now take what is said here with a grain of salt because it is a tabloid.  Then again. TMZ, another tabloid was one of the first places my wife got the news.  If I am reading this correctly, Roger died before the cabin caught fire and Paul was injured and well, yeah.  I will give him the courtesy of not describing the rest...certainly not a passing of deserving of someone who did so much for others in life.  Just read for yourself.  Very sad situation folks.  Count your blessings for your friends and loved ones.

http://omg.yahoo.com...-184538201.html

Thanks for the link Ken, if the car had not had went up so fast he may have had a chance. Very sad way to lose your life. l read the results on People mag site. Not as much info...

http://www.people.co...nk2&pLid=414811

#60 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

Here is another article I just found.  Although it veers off center into the entertainment industry toward the end.  It's more on the level of actual journalism than a lot of what I have seen so far.

http://gma.yahoo.com...ews-movies.html

Edited by Skydime, 04 December 2013 - 05:51 PM.