#21 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,833 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

I have a pretty strong idea that if they ever were to offer a Mod Top, it would be as a decal, not a separate, die-cut vinyl piece. It's a matter of $$$. You can add another decal to the sheet for a lot less than outsourcing for the die-cut and printed vinyl appliqué.

#22 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

Really going to depend on the thickness and quality of the decal material in question.

I tend to think it would be easier than it sounds,

http://www.decalsbyl...R_Mod_Tops.html

As an FYI, there was at least ONE 1970 Hemi Cuda that came equipped with a mod top ( and it still exists today leading a pampered life )

http://www.mooresmop...m/modtop93.html

Edited by gtx6970, 09 October 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#23 VRM

VRM

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Full Name:Steve DeVaux - Vintage Racing Miniatures

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

A 340-6 would be appropriate for an AAR. The previous releases of AAR were also kinda 'funky' and Revell knows this.

As for Mod Top - I've been unhappy with the ones currently available, so.....

Oh, and decals work very well for vinyl roofs - I do them in 5 parts. I use low tack masking tape to make a pattern for each section. First is the A pillars, then the outer sections including the sail panel, then the centre section. Apply them in that order and give them a coat of semi clear. If a car does not originally have a vinyl roof, just make one with the smallest Plastruct half round for edge trim, end a thing strip of plastruct for the seams.

Steve

#24 topher5150

topher5150

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Full Name:Kristopher Hop

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

I've never seen a kit with separate trim for the vinyl top (or second color roof paint) border, and it would have to be very thin to be in scale.

It's not hard at all to add the trim to a body, though. Here's a '70 'cuda with the yellow floral top option. You can see the location of one of the top seams more clearly on the car to the left:

Posted Image

Why does the roof of this car remind me of my Grand mother's cupboards?

#25 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

LOL Craig! I was thinking one for the Hemi, and one for a small block....but the chassis has the 'Hemi only' torque boxes.

Although torque boxes 'are supposed to be ' A hemi only thing, it's been well documented they showed up and numerous drivetrain options . So technically they are correct on at least some cars, including 340 cars

#26 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Those mod tops are wild..never seen one in person. My MPC '70 Cuda was builtup in orange w/ a well done black vinyl top when I got it.

#27 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Probably because they were done around the same time.

#28 Deano

Deano

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Full Name:Dean Eubanks

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

I'm probably alone in this but I was 10 years old when I first saw one of those tops. A cousin bought a Challenger with the Mod Top. Being 10, and an honest, outspoken child, I hurt my cousin's feelings by telling her that it was hideous. My opinion hasn't changed.

#29 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

I was 10 years old when I first saw one of those tops. A cousin bought a Challenger with the Mod Top.

Not to say that it's not possible , but I've never seen nor heard of Dodge continuing their "Floral Pattern" for 1970 . Who knows ? Anything's possible !

First time I can remember seeing a Mod Top was in ca.1972 or so (when I was 2 years old) . The car was a 1970 Barracuda . I'd see it frequently at the local mall , in the parking lot by Hinshaw's .
I'd asked my mother , "Why did someone put wallpaper on their car ?".

I'd not seen the Dodge "Floral Top" until sometime in the 90's ...
... at a self-serve salvage yard , on a '69 Dart :( . I saw remnents of it wedged in the driptrough moulding and thought , "What the heck is this ?!?".
I've long preferred the Dodge pattern , as it looks more like a Peter Max illustration .

#30 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

I built a Meyers Manx dune buggy back in 1970, and floral pattern tops were right in the Meyers parts catalog, so it was just part of the times. As far as a 2 and 10 year old saying that they looked bad? Well, it was a child who had the guts to say the Emperior had no clothes.

#31 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

I built a Meyers Manx dune buggy back in 1970, and floral pattern tops were right in the Meyers parts catalog, so it was just part of the times. As far as a 2 and 10 year old saying that they looked bad? Well, it was a child who had the guts to say the Emperior had no clothes.

Ha ha ha ! I never said that the Mod Top / Floral Pattern looked bad !
Perhaps my choice of words implied that I believed it to be odd ; but I truly LOVE these tops !
I was the one whom suggested that Revell add a Mod Top decal to the sheet of this kit :)

#32 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

I'm probably alone in this but I was 10 years old when I first saw one of those tops. A cousin bought a Challenger with the Mod Top. Being 10, and an honest, outspoken child, I hurt my cousin's feelings by telling her that it was hideous. My opinion hasn't changed.

You are not alone. I think they're awful too.

#33 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

You are not alone. I think they're awful too.

Yeah, not my thing...kind of one of those 'you had to be there' things, like the fashion of that era. I do like Mopars of that era w/ regular vinyl tops, which they seemed to have a lot of.. I wouldn't mind doing a Cuda in a period color scheme w/ a regular vinyl top.

#34 Deano

Deano

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Full Name:Dean Eubanks

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Not to say that it's not possible , but I've never seen nor heard of Dodge continuing their "Floral Pattern" for 1970 . Who knows ? Anything's possible !

First time I can remember seeing a Mod Top was in ca.1972 or so (when I was 2 years old) . The car was a 1970 Barracuda . I'd see it frequently at the local mall , in the parking lot by Hinshaw's .
I'd asked my mother , "Why did someone put wallpaper on their car ?".

I'd not seen the Dodge "Floral Top" until sometime in the 90's ...
... at a self-serve salvage yard , on a '69 Dart :( . I saw remnents of it wedged in the driptrough moulding and thought , "What the heck is this ?!?".
I've long preferred the Dodge pattern , as it looks more like a Peter Max illustration .

OK, as far as getting the dates exactly correct, we moved from that neighborhood before I was in 8th grade (would have been 1972), cousin had the Mopar when we moved, I may have been 9, maybe 10, maybe 11; hard to remember 42 years ago with any clarity especially since I wasn't really much into cars (that was a few years down the road). All I remember is it was a kinda green car with a totally ugly multi-colored vinyl top. It took the place of a blue 1959-60 Chevy Convertible. I thought the convertible was much cooler! :)

#35 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Here's a little inspiration for a drag version of this pending kit : an early 70's SS/DA Hemi 'Cuda :

Attached Files

#36 caine440

caine440

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Full Name:Roger

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

I have a story on that car somewhere as it was built at the Sox & martin shop.

#37 fastram

fastram

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Full Name:Paul

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

I've read all the coments on this Cuda kit and not one person has said anything about the proportions of the front fenders, From the center body line to the top of the fender, it appears too wide. Like the wheel opening is too short. Over all it looks good, but the fenders look too fat to me. Not that it would stop me from buying this kit. It wouldn't. But if all the talk is about proportions, look again. I realize this is a TEST SHOT, and maybe it will be something they will change, maybe not.....

I think Revell will do a great job with this kit, and I know it will sell VERY well. As far as the wait for it to be released, March will be here before you know it. Heck, it's almost Christmas now!

#38 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

Didn't the Hemi 'Cuda's and AAR's have larger front wheel openings than the Barracudas?

#39 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Didn't the Hemi 'Cuda's and AAR's have larger front wheel openings than the Barracudas?

Yes .....and No, sorta

Hemi Cudas received ft  fenders with modified wheel lips, meaning the inner lip is rolled differently to accomodate the larger tires but externally / visually / outward appearence they are the same as any other 1970-74 Barrcuda .

Only the Hemi Cuda received the F60-15 tires, all other cars max ft tire size was E60-15 which use the standard ft fender

Standard tire on a non Hemi cuda is F70-14 with the optional E60-15

Only the AAR received the mix tire sizes- E60-15 on the ft and G60-15 on the rear .

Also, AAR received re-arched rear spings and bigger tires to accomodate the rocker panel area exiting exhaust tips.

PS, if the Cuda kit comes exactly the way It's shown here I am still going to do the happy dance when my case of them comes in

Edited by gtx6970, 14 December 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#40 Darin Bastedo

Darin Bastedo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

It looks good enough for me. I'll probably build several, a few of them I'll probably cut up beyond recognition anyway.

91004_005-vi.jpg