#21 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Full Name:dan smith

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

thanks you guys! went to take some progress pics, darn card maxed out after 3 pics.

really getting into this decal printing, ran off some "lino & countertop" for it

Attached File  152_opt (1).jpg   39.16KB   0 downloadsAttached File  154_opt.jpg   37.43KB   0 downloads

#22 Edward Gore

Edward Gore

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Full Name:Pacific Ocean

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

Your scratch building skills are off the hook. This is really looking real!

#23 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

thanks Edward! camera issue resolved.

threw together a table, experimenting with some 1/8 floor underlay for mattresses, pillows, & couch cushions. had to glue 5 layers together for the mattress, & 3 for the pillows. wife is going to take me to fabric shop & see if can't find something green & sort of look to scale, then make blankets & pillow case covers. if it looks not bad, i'll start the kids bunk & couch.

once the top bunk area is done, i'm pretty much at a standstill inside 'till parts show up in a couple of weeks. 

Attached File  472_opt.jpg   33.11KB   0 downloadsAttached File  465_opt.jpg   51.19KB   0 downloadsAttached File  466_opt.jpg   42.22KB   0 downloads

added a patio light, got some finer mesh for the screen door, have a couple minor things to add, door grab handle, wiring plug, plates for the tie-downs, some marker lights.

Attached File  470_opt.jpg   46.33KB   0 downloads

the front half of the roof will be glued on, after the OH bunk is done & my escape hatch gets here so i know how big a hole to cut. the back half of the roof i won't glue down for access

Attached File  471_opt.jpg   50.18KB   0 downloads

#24 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

I am blown away Dan...!!!  Very awesome work...love campers!

#25 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Full Name:jesse corbett

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:02 AM

This is cool.  Gives me inspiration for doing an old 50's style teardrop.

#26 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

thanks, i'm really enjoying doing a camper, like been said though, i too wish someone would tool up some rv stuff. it has been a challenge finding anything camping related. not alot out there. i used to pull a tent trailer with my '68 gmc, thats been kind of in the back of my head for another build sometime. that should be fun, fabric sides!

#27 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

I seen a old style Shasta camping trailer once in a book that was made as a kit...love to have one of those. I use to own a 16 foot Jayco had a lot of fun with it...be great to put behind a station wagon/van/pickup build.

#28 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,277 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

Looks great !

#29 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

I seen a old style Shasta camping trailer once in a book that was made as a kit...love to have one of those. I use to own a 16 foot Jayco had a lot of fun with it...be great to put behind a station wagon/van/pickup build.

yeah, it adds a whole new look to your models, pulling a trailer, haulin a camper. future plans for my truck & camper-build a quad hauler with 3 atv's & a cartopper to pull behind it!  

like this >>Attached File  569_opt.jpg   61.71KB   0 downloads

the trailer wont be a problem, even if i have to build scale quads (looking at modifying hot wheels), scale atv tires are so far a big hurdle. after spending months looking for a cartopper, Chris's chris craft conversion to a fishing boat just blew me away. in fact after seeing what he did, i ordered a pt boat (hull matches my boat a little better) & will be trying something similar.

got some green fabric for the beds & couch. i tried a couple times on the pillows, blah!, wife rescued me & i think she did not a bad job!

Attached File  177_opt.jpg   37.01KB   0 downloadsAttached File  357_opt.jpg   38.92KB   0 downloads

#30 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

Very nice Dan...you both did great work on it!...nice truck too.  We have a 84 Chevy 4x4 long bed 1/2 ton been wanting to build one like it just need to locate the resin long bed and Chevy grille to fit the old Fall Guy pickup kit.

#31 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Mark, i hear you! it's a downer when you have to chop up kits to make a longbox. i prefer a longbox to a shortie myself. i bought three '84 GMC kits to make my longbox crewcab. luckily Ron at RMR resin cast a couple chev crewy's  a few yrs ago, before i cut up my '84's. nice quality, but more expensive than my three '84's put together! in fact that crew cost me around $150 for the body, donor kit, tires & rims, & a mess load of misc. but you know what it's like when you just HAVE TO HAVE it...!. 

i dont know if he has made more (haven't seen any anywhere yet), but i plan on getting ahold of him, i need another crewcab for a work truck project, & i like you, could use about a dozen longboxes!

#32 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Mark, take a look, here's something you don't see everyday, a 73-87 chevy crewcab WITH an 8ft box

Attached File  058_opt.jpg   58.77KB   0 downloadsAttached File  136_opt.jpg   51.85KB   0 downloadsAttached File  066_opt (1).jpg   71.38KB   0 downloadsAttached File  033_opt.jpg   75.35KB   0 downloadsAttached File  098_opt.jpg   81.39KB   0 downloads

#33 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

That is SWEET Dan...!!!  I love the crew cabs wish ours was one.  I have no access to extra beds and might not be able to convert the bed into a long bed myself...great work!  Our truck has 33x12.50x15 Micky Thompson Baja MTZ? tires I found some from a toy that look sort of close to them.  The 84 Chevy grille would be another problem for me the kit has a GMC grille....keep up the great work its very very cool!

#34 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

yeah, i used the gm grille even though my trucks a chevy. i have a spare gm grill i was going to fly at with the dremel to try match the billet grille on my truck, just another thing to add to the list!

have you looked at BNL resin's selection of tires & truck accs? he has Yokohama mud diggers & General grabbers that look similar to your MTZ's if you sand off the names. i have been keeping my eye open for some Toyo mud countrys. when i haul my camper i run radial toyo's, without my camper i run my bias swamps, would be nice to find some toyos for the crew before i drop this camper on it.

BTW, sounds like you got a nice truck, post a pic, mines an '85 with 38.5" toyos for the camper & 40" swamps for everything else!

#35 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

Dan mine was an old farm truck since 1985 or 86 it never left the farm it was on or was given a bath and it shows...it only has 43,000. miles on it but its kind of rough had a hard life till now.  I found tires close to mine on a toy armored personnel carrier...close enough for me anyways.  Its a 84 Chevy Silverado power everything...not much of a gear ratio 308. and a 4 speed auto.  I know someone use to make a resin long bed for these and a resin Chevy grille but have not been able to find one anywhere yet for my project build...I am one of those guys that wants to build a model of ever car/truck/van the family has owned.  If you can send me your home e-mail i could send you a photo of our truck...someday hope to make it look better...right now its all about the mechanical things...body parts as i can find them cheap...disability income does not help with it or model building...LOL... 

#36 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

i'm the same way-i need to build everything we've owned! i have a couple of resin chevy grilles, but there not for '81-'87, had them quite a few yrs, but i can not remember where i got them from.wish i could.

i will be using the bottom one on my recently acquired chev stepside

Attached File  177_opt.jpg   30.85KB   0 downloads

#37 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:22 AM

i'm the same way-i need to build everything we've owned! i have a couple of resin chevy grilles, but there not for '81-'87, had them quite a few yrs, but i can not remember where i got them from.wish i could.

i will be using the bottom one on my recently acquired chev stepside

attachicon.gif177_opt.jpg

Those look like resin copies of the old MPC 75? Chevy step side pickup kit grille to me...which is a good kit i have one from my old childhood build days.  My home e-mail address is posted under my profile here...send me a message and Ill send you a photo of our old truck Dan. Glad I am not the only one that wants to build a car/truck of everyone the family has owned.

#38 Greg Cullinan

Greg Cullinan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Full Name:GREG

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:06 AM

Camper looks good. Surprised we don't see more campers. So cool.

#39 tbill

tbill

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts
  • Full Name:tom billings

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

that camper is amazing! holy cow what a beauty..............

#40 dieseldawg142

dieseldawg142

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Those look like resin copies of the old MPC 75? Chevy step side pickup kit grille to me...which is a good kit i have one from my old childhood build days.  My home e-mail address is posted under my profile here...send me a message and Ill send you a photo of our old truck Dan. Glad I am not the only one that wants to build a car/truck of everyone the family has owned.

pm'ed