#1 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,922 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Yep, I'm gonna say it right here on a family-friendly forum.

SNOW!

I just came in from shoveling our first "real" snowfall. We've had a dusting or two in the past week or so, but this time there was enough to be "shovel-able"...  maybe 2-3".

Not a big deal as far as snowfall goes, but it's just that first one of the season that hurts... because it's a reminder that we're in for another loooooong winter.  :rolleyes:

#2 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Unfortunately, you nit the nail on the head. It's too cold to do anything here, I haven't left the house since I got home from work Friday.

#3 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

I envy you Harry. My part of the country is cold, wet, and miserable overcast. Snow would at least give me a reason to go out and shovel or hike. The weather here is just useless for much of anything.

#4 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

Snow ???....Snow and traffic are the only 2 things about Chicago I don't miss.

#5 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I envy you Harry. My part of the country is cold, wet, and miserable overcast. Snow would at least give me a reason to go out and shovel or hike. The weather here is just useless for much of anything.

Where are you located?

Snow ???....Snow and traffic are the only 2 things about Chicago I don't miss.

What about the pizza and Chicago style hotdogs?  :wub:

#6 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

I don't know Harry, those last couple snowfalls we had were pretty real ;)

Actually, that last one was pretty much one big sheet of ice from the time I crossed the Dupage/Kane Co. line until I got to the store! I thought I was having problems with my 15 year old Jeep until I saw much newer cars and trucks having the same issues I was!

#7 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

I just drove from Fort Worth to Spokane. Vernon, TX was 82 degrees on Tuesday. Got into Sheridan, WY on Wednesday and it was -21. Yeah, over 100 degree swing. Hit snow through Denver and pure ice from Casper to Butte. Fun drive. Now just waiting for the bitter cold to break here and unleash the snow...

#8 Furiousgeorge

Furiousgeorge

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Full Name:Trent Lawrence

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

We haven't hade a huge amount of snow up here in central Saskatchewan yet, maybe 6-8" total, but the cold has set in! The other day it hit -42 c! It took 20 mins of driving before my tires warmed up enough to be round again! I'm convinced the battery in my 2011 Charger won't survive much longer, being in the trunk it never gets to thaw out. I used to work at the security desk at the Potash mine where I'm (at the moment) employed, and being an American owned company (Mosaic Potash), we get a lot of guys from the southern states in for tours. We had a few guys from Texas I think last year during a nasty cold snap that had never been this far north, or experienced such cold. They looked like they wouldn't survive the 100' walk from their parking spot to the door! They just couldn't wrap their heads around such extreme cold. All I said was "it's not bad if the wind stays down". By the time they left, the wind was howling. I felt so bad for those poor guys!

#9 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

"Shovel-able", you're great at making new words Harry, I gotta give you that. Enjoy the snow!

#10 azers

azers

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

No snow here in western washington just cold and frozen pipes. Supposed to warm up tomorrow and maybe get a little snow then back to rain on tuesday.

#11 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,561 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

We got our first plowable snow Wednesday. 8".

#12 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

So far, all we have gotten are a couple of dustings. It's been years since we've had a good one in my area.  :(  I love a good five or six inch snowfall. It makes everything look so clean and neat. I also welcome the quiet that it brings here, especially at night.

#13 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,326 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:44 AM

I lived the first 27 years of my life in and around Chicago. I am now in Arizona and sometimes I miss the snow. Then I remember having to mount snow tires, going out 15 minutes early to try and start the car and turn the heat on, frozen door locks, wipers frozen to the windshield, having a scraper in your car with a plastic scraper on one end and a broom on the other end. Oh how about the big clumps of snow that would pile up on the fenders behind the wheels. Cars getting stuck in the snow and helping push out. Calling the service station for a jump to get your car started. I worked at a Texaco gas station for awhile and I would go out with my boss in his International scout with a snow plow and a jumper unit. We would have about 10 calls on a run and when you went to a call other people on the block would pour out of their homes needing a jump.  It was crazy busy. Then go back to the station for another list. No cell phones and he did not have a 2 way radio. On second thought maybe I don't miss the snow and cold weather.

#14 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Full Name:Junior

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

-10 here right now, with a -37 windchill, and more snow expected today. We have 8 inches already.

summer_zps489eeb2a.jpg

#15 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,130 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

I lived in Chicago until l was 16 and will never miss snow and chopping ice. I walked to school as a kid and it was miserable. I don't wear anything more then a sweat shirt hear all winter. I  do miss the hotdogs, pizza,and going to Cubs games. I don't like the summers here but its better then snow...

#16 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

I do not miss snow, ice, and all the other little annoyances that come with winter weather. It is currenty 36 degrees here but, there isn't a cloud in the sky. We had some rain earlier in the week and it snowed in the mountains but that is it so far.

G

#17 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,922 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

Isn't 36 unusually cold for Las Vegas? I didn't realize it got that cold there.

#18 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Full Name:James Scott

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Here in Virginia we got a dusting and some sleet.

Soccer moms cleaned the shelves of bread and milk

and the men folk got booze and donuts.

#19 BKcustoms

BKcustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Kaune

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

We've got around five inches here with more possible later tonight. I can't complain though, It's caused school to be canncelled for three days so I've been able to work on some stalled projects.

#20 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

We had a slush-storm with a little snow mixed in, with more to come tommorrow...well, later today, supposedly, and more end of the week.

Tra-la, tra-la....

BLECH!

To add injury to insult, I came home and found the heat not working- most likely need some oil. I'll go get some diesel in the morning (read: after dawn) to re-start the boiler and call the oil man.

Charlie Larkin