Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "S" word...

Harry P.

Oh yeah... the blizzard of '67! My dad left work the afternoon the blizzard started. He got home three days later. No joke.

Lake Shore Drive, 1967.

Hmmm... I know I left my car here somewhere... :lol:

Chgo67_zpsf5315578.jpg

If it wasn't for the age of that Caddy and the other cars, you would think that was a black and white taken just 3 years ago!

Just out of curiousity, just how many of us worked at a Jewel/Osco at one time?

I worked at the West Chicago Osco from Aug '92-Nov '97 and Mom worked at that same Jewel from '90-'09.

Edited by Joe Handley

I live in Southern California and I own a snow shovel!

Why? Because I grew up in Nebraska, spent my Air Force career in northern Michigan and Eastern Washington state. When I left Michigan, the high temperature for the month of February was 17 below zero and there was an accumulation of over 3 feet of snow. My first winter in Spokane Washington, it got so cold the buried water meters at the street froze. I learned about stuffing newspaper around the meter and setting it on fire to thaw it out and letting one of the faucets in the house run just a little to keep it from happening. I remember doing my morning run(military you know) through the street with a foot of snow to get through. I remember the anger of shoveling your driveway in the morning and coming home to a two foot tall berm of ice that the snowplow deposited when he came through.

Yes, I own a snow shovel and keep it so that from time to time when I am moving stuff around in the garage, I remember why I moved to San Diego. ;)

Edited by Pete J.

I remember the blizzard of 67 very well. I lived in Chicago at the time ( actually Oak Lawn ) and we had a snow drift on the side of the house in the driveway which completely covered my dads 62 Ford. All you could see was the top of the radio antenna. Took some time to uncover but the thing fired right up.

Spring of '68. U of W, Laramie, Wyoming. I looked out at the parking lot and all you could see were the very tops of cars and their antennas. Only time in recent history that the University closed due to weather. Of course that didn't stop some students from strapping on cross country skis and trekking down town and hauling a keg back. Town was sold out of beer by 2 o'clock. Best blizzard ever! :blink:

Edited by Pete J.

I live in Southern California and I own a snow shovel!

Why? Because I grew up in Nebraska, spent my Air Force career in northern Michigan and Eastern Washington state. When I left Michigan, the high temperature for the month of February was 17 below zero and there was an accumulation of over 3 feet of snow. My first winter in Spokane Washington, it got so cold the buried water meters at the street froze. I learned about stuffing newspaper around the meter and setting it on fire to thaw it out and letting one of the faucets in the house run just a little to keep it from happening. I remember doing my morning run(military you know) through the street with a foot of snow to get through. I remember the anger of shoveling your driveway in the morning and coming home to a two foot tall berm of ice that the snowplow deposited when he came through.

Yes, I own a snow shovel and keep it so that from time to time when I am moving stuff around in the garage, I remember why I moved to San Diego. ;)

With as crazy as the weather has been all over the country, you just might need that snow shovel.

Anyone else get bothered by the weather people on the on both the local Chicago ABC and NBC news always saying "code, or coder" instead of "cold, or colder"??

All the in-laws are off for the holiday, thank goodness. They are located all over the Chicagoland area from Huntly to Antioch.

The blizzard of '67 came all the way to St Louis. I was 12 and remember shovelling our newly purchased homes driveway. We had just moved to the 'burbs from the north side. Biggest slab of concrete I had seen to that point.

We had big snows in '81 and '82 as well. '81 shut the city down and they activated the National Guard. It was an engineer unit that used it's earthmoving equipment to plow the streets. In '82 I had just purchased a house on the south side, see a pattern?, and made it to work on a wing and a prayer. I was the first copper to show that day.

Fast forward to '08, Henderson, Nevada, second winter in my new home and we get upwards of 8" of snow. This is in the freaking Mojave Desert for goodness sakes. It must be me. :blink:

Chilly 59 here today.

G

Maybe we'll get enough snow Thursday / Friday to finally try out my 3 year old NOS snow blower! I missed the blizzard of '67, I was living in sunny Izmir, Turkey back then. Of course the army made up for that by sending us to Pirmasens, Germany where our favorite winter pastime was digging for cars.

And to those of you in Florida and Arizona (you know who you are!) who keep chiming in on the winter threads... I hope a lizard bites ya or something! :P

Gee thanks Tom. No lizard bites but I did remove the rest of the pine cone ginger from the yard. It's a pleasant 65, partly cloudy day so I went ahead and transplanted 2 full wheelbarrows of ferns. Every 6 feet or so I transplanted a palm tree. Should look nice in the summer and will help hide the wood pile.

It's snowing right now... we're supposed to have a series of waves of "shovel-able events" over the next 24-36 hours... total snowfall by Friday morning is forecast to be anywhere from 6" to a foot before it's over, depending on where in the metro area you are.

We'll see... the weather guys (and weather babes... :P ) have been wrong before. ^_^

Just checked the forecast, Mondays low......-5 !! Spring can't come early enough this year. :angry:

Couldn't agree more on an early Spring. Had a "high" of -1 up here today. Supposed to dip down to -17 tonight. This winter is picking right up where last winter left off.......

Born and raised in Missouri for my first thirty years of life then met my soon to be wife got married and moved to sunny Southern California. I do miss the snow though because it doesn't seem the same at Christmas when its 70 to 80 degrees here. But the up side is that I can ride the Harley all year round and be able to paint my builds also.