#1261 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

When my wife and I sold our house on Long Island, NY and moved to western PA back at the end of 2006, we said we had both had enough of mowing grass and raking leaves.  We're now both in our mid to late 60's.  When we bought our home we hired a local Landscaping Co. to cut the grass.  To us it is totally worth every penny of the $100 per month we pay them from mid April through November to cut the grass every 2 weeks and mulch up the fallen leaves on our acre piece of land.  We don't own a lawn mower or a weed whacker anymore.  We also had the hedges along one side of our property removed because it was an annoying chore to keep trimming them every couple of weeks.  It works for us.

#1262 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:26 AM

Rich, whatever works is good, and what works for one may not work for another.

#1263 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

When my wife and I sold our house on Long Island, NY and moved to western PA back at the end of 2006,

Wow Rich, I hadn't realized you were in PA that long. Time does fly!  And yes it does, hard to believe I've been here four years myself!

And as as far as the island... last Friday afternoon.. it took me 4 HOURS to get from Staten Island to Smithtown! 

#1264 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,323 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

I've heard that the Long Island expressway is a real mess during rush hours.

#1265 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

You heard right Harry.  It's more like a long parking lot than an expressway.

#1266 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

I've heard that the Long Island expressway is a real mess during rush hours.

You're being very polite about it.

One of my friends, through the wonders of the Internet, met a girl that lives on Long Island, and where he doesn't drive, I drive him down every so often. Having been caught in that giant cluster at exactly the wrong time, "parking lot" would mean it would actually move every so often.

Now that she might be moving here (fingers crossed,) I won't miss that drive. I'll gladly continue to do it for the LIARS show, and probably to go visit some stuff down there (like TR's house,) but...yeah, all set with that traffic.

Charlie Larkin

#1267 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,323 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

A little update...

The "S word" is definitely in the rearview mirror now. We have been having just spectacular weather here lately. For the past two weeks or so, daytime temps in the 70s-80s, nighttime lows in the 50s... plenty of sun, rain mostly at night... couldn't get any better. My lawn looks like a freakin' golf course! :D

Maybe God is rewarding us here in the midwest for making it through the incredibly harsh winter he stuck us with.  ^_^

#1268 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,119 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

A little update...

The "S word" is definitely in the rearview mirror now. We have been having just spectacular weather here lately. For the past two weeks or so, daytime temps in the 70s-80s, nighttime lows in the 50s... plenty of sun, rain mostly at night... couldn't get any better. My lawn looks like a freakin' golf course! :D

Maybe God is rewarding us here in the midwest for making it through the incredibly harsh winter he stuck us with.  ^_^

Nice..wish I was there.. here in opposite world our 'winter' is kicking in... 4 more months of triple digit horror..

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 June 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#1269 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,323 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

Nice..wish I was there.. here in opposite world our 'winter' is kicking in... 4 more months of triple digit horror..

But ya gotta remember, Rob... around here we get this perfect weather about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it's either 20 below zero, or a foot of snow, or 90 degrees and 90% humidity, or tornados, or... well, you get the idea. In the midwest, nice, calm weather is a rarity. If it's not one thing, it's another. So now while we're in this pattern of actual good weather, I have to be thankful!

#1270 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,119 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

But ya gotta remember, Rob... around here we get this perfect weather about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it's either 20 below zero, or a foot of snow, or 90 degrees and 90% humidity, or tornados, or... well, you get the idea. In the midwest, nice, calm weather is a rarity. If it's not one thing, it's another. So now while we're in this pattern of actual good weather, I have to be thankful!

I know, I'm from the Midwest......sometimes I think I'd rather have that climate than what I'm stuck with now....I can handle cold better than extreme heat..I think I belong more in a maritime climate, though.

Edited by Rob Hall, 09 June 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#1271 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

At least you don't have anymore snow to deal with Rob.