FuelishSpectator

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Full Name:John Hilkert AKA:Fuelish

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hey Now.....

“NHRA TAXI”. Was built from a Revell 1950 Austin Drag Car for the club monthly contest that I belong too. I “HATE” the operable doors because they don't seem to hang correctly even with modified with sturdy hinges that I custom built. The wheelie bars are made of brass tubing and silver solder together. The motor is a little less than I desired due that I only put plug wire and port line for the blown motor. I also used Carbon Fiber Decals on the Valve Covers and Injector Hat. The paint is all rattle can with a generic flat white base with liberal mounts of Boyds Aluma Yellow Pearl, That when I got into making decals by a simple inkjet printer. The only decals I did not create are the ones on the front window in white. But everything else was done by my inkjet printer. I use Krylon Crystal Clear to clear the decals to set the ink on the decals. Yes these decals are a special type where the water factor was used at a very mininal use... (Long Story in it's self.)..
One last thing the decal for the grill was scan off a photograph that I took at a drag race.....
Fuelish

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by FuelishSpectator, 23 November 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#2 fordsixty

fordsixty

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

nice little austin. looks really cool. awesome decals. just one problem, there is no phone number so i can call and get a ride. he-he.
i remember building that austin and it's brethren, thames panel and henry j, when i was a teenager. lousy body fitment, spindley front axle and all that chrome to scrap off (wheels had to roll).
cool car!

#3 AZ Boy

AZ Boy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

John,
Always have liked this build! I haven't worked with solder for headers yet. Is it difficult to work with?

Aaron :lol:

#4 Brent

Brent

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

Now THAT is cool. :lol:

#5 FuelishSpectator

FuelishSpectator

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Full Name:John Hilkert AKA:Fuelish

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:34 AM

John,
Always have liked this build! I haven't worked with solder for headers yet. Is it difficult to work with?

Aaron :)

Aaron... Please don't use the solder for headers like zoomies.... because they look bulky and not hollow on the end. Probably will work if you were building a set of pro-stock headers with collectors.... easy to bend but not great for zoomies style.
Fuelish

#6 Tim Pentecost

Tim Pentecost

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:45 PM

John,

Aaron B)

Aaron,
Use solid silver solder. Way more expensive than regular solder, but a little harder(as in, more solid less give). Drill out the ends and touch up the holes with your favorite "exhaust look" paint.

TimP

#7 Brent

Brent

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

I am a firm believer is soldier. Just make sure you don't get the flux core type or you will need to seal the ends with super glue (Or it makes a big mess, it corrodes)
On this car I made zoomies out of soldier. Easy to shape and easy to drill the ends out. If you shop around you can find different diameters.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

That is really nice!! I really like the taxi cab theme!!

Keep up the good work.

#9 coonster

coonster

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:23 PM

That is way too cool man.

#10 MoparMarc

MoparMarc

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:26 AM

Awesome build!!! Love the cab theme and the carbon fiber on the valve covers and hat........nice work.

#11 racer X

racer X

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Full Name:scott garner

Posted 29 December 2007 - 06:40 AM

awesome work.i like the wing and the taxi cab theme.

#12 chris coffey

chris coffey

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 08:35 AM

great Looking Austin, John!! i really like the front end decals for the nose you created, too!! Looks like something the late Wally Parks would have ran!!! God bless his soul!! I also love what you did in the cockpit as far as the roll cage went!!