#21 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

I really appreciate all the help guys but now you really got my head spinning. Can't figure out what to do from here.

Well jason, first of all most of the advice you get here in my opinion is correct, these guys are great. As for me i use to be strickley spray cans.I bought airbrush items here and there until i had everything to use it correctly.I bought my airbrush at hobby lobby with the 40% coupon. you can also get the airbrush online just as cheap if you shop around. This place has good deals(http://www.coastairb...m/index.html).I now use both techniques. I personally like the plastikote primers and dupli that you can get at most car parts stores. I stick to mostly hobby type paints like tamiya,testors and model masters. As someone else mentioned i purchased the donn yost DVD's and his technique of cutting the bottle enamels with lacquer thinner works well.i tried the rustolems once but personally didn't like the results. good luck with what direction you decide to go with.

Jason,

Check your newspaper want-ads, your local shoppers, Craigslist and other local advertising outlets. As Bill noted, you can pick up airbrushes inexpensively, sometimes a complete unit with a compressor, or at least get a compressor for short money.

A Badger 250 is about $20 and is a good simple starter airbrush. :I have a Paasche H and like it, just be sure to clean it VERY thoroughly, as it can clog easily.

Cutting enamels with lacquer thinner works well, as does de-canted spray paint, which requires little or no thinning. Except with Testors or Tamiya lacquers, which have their own thinners (trust me, nothing else works that I've run across), you can cut everything with hardware store lacquer thinner and use that for cleaning the airbrush. Simply block the nozzle with a paper towel and spray. This back-flushes the brush and does a pretty thorough job of cleaning it. Spray it normally and disassemble and clean prior to chagning color, though, to be safe.

Charlie Larkin

Compressors are the least of the expense these days. I recently saw a small pancake type tank unit at HF for 39.99!!
I've also picked up some decent airbrushes (paasche VL and a badger 100 and no name for about $40.00 TOTAL!!.)
I disassembled them and cleaned them and they shoot fine. This was at Ultimate Consignment.

Thought a lot about what you guy have said. If you can do me a favor and check out my other post about airbrushes maybe that will help me make a decision. Thanks again for the help.
http://www.modelcars...showtopic=82891

#22 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help. People got me thinking about getting an airbrush but after I did research the airbrush I wanted was way out of my budget. I ended up with a couple of models and some spray paint.
Michael's had junk everywhere and a piss poor selection of paint. Cans opened and used. Even the employee who unlocked the cabinet was spraying them all over everything. So I picked out the two models I wanted and hit up HomeDepot. The only paints they had were Rustoleum's and there was neither all lacquer or all enamel paints so I'm hoping these will work together. I did the best I could with what I had to work with.
LMK what you all think.
ab522713961666f62fc58a7495eb1e8b_zps2448