#121 bbowser

bbowser

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Bowser

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

So sorry to rain on this parade... but I got a job!  Funny thing how your business contacts come into play.  My old VP from two companies ago called me. He's now VP of a consulting company and hired me over the phone to run an account at, get this, my original employer in my industry.  So I'll be going back to my old stomping grounds.  I'll be working at a facility that I had originally purchased for them.  No financial risk, good pay. 

So I'll have to abandon the idea of a hobby shop for now... 

Congratulations Tom!  Priorities you know, food and shelter come first.  Hobbies are a distant second. 

#122 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Here in the UK a lot of model shops are closing simply becuse its cheeper to sell on the net . You have to take into account the running cost of a shop rent electric gas before you even get some models to sell!

I'm not sure that a local (To Me) would be a great success, as pointed out having a high street store cost money before you even start to sell anything, business rates, lease for the shop, electric & phone line/internet, Fuel now running at £6.30 (Just over $10.00) a gallon many shoppers are abandoning the High Street and ordering on the 'net, even buying in the Euro zone can be cheaper than buying from shops here in the U.K

#123 cdan delivery

cdan delivery

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Location:one foot on a banana peel, the other in the twilight zone
  • Full Name:pat wilkins

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

I know that this was posted to see about a new employment adventure, but I have to put my 2 cents in. I would be lost without a real LHS.

The internet is a great thing and you can find a lot on it and you can go thru the aggravation of paypal  or whatever and waiting...........and hoping what you get isn't smushed in the mail and dealing with people if it is, etc. etc. After the shipping charges are figured in and the forthcoming sales taxes I fell as others have said that there is really little difference price-wise, but the instant gratification of getting something in person is, indeed, very satisfying.

I am lucky in the fact that because of my job I have to do quite a bit of local (within a 25 mile radius of my employer) driving for customer and vendor interactions and - the big and- there are two independent and pretty well stocked hobby shops nearby.

Last Friday I was near both and did stop in at Turn Hobbies in West Boylston, Massachusetts to grab 2 of the Revell Merc Woodie, hot off the truck, then also stopped at the Spare Time shop in Marborough, Massachusetts to stock up on some Evergreen styrene that I need. 

Neither store carries all of what I want, but there is a good selection and they are accommodating and willing to help (**and listen to what you want/like/need** very important).There are other national chain shops within the same basic radius, but I find them colder and focused on other things than I care about.

My opinion.

#124 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,881 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

The internet is a great thing and you can find a lot on it and you can go thru the aggravation of paypal...

The "aggravation" of paypal?

I buy with one click. Find what I want on ebay... log onto paypal. Then literally one click. The whole process is over in less than 30 seconds. And ebay/paypal offer 100% satisfaction or your money back.

That's not "aggravation." That's fantastic customer service.

#125 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

I buy with one click. Find what I want on ebay... log onto paypal. Then literally one click. The whole process is over in less than 30 seconds. And ebay/paypal offer 100% satisfaction or your money back.

Agreed

#126 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,582 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

Agreed. Buying online is quick and easy.  Right before Christmas I broke my digital camera.  I went right to eBay and instantly found the latest model of our camera, and determined the lowest price. I hit that Buy It Now button around noon on a Monday.  The package was delivered around 11am the next day.  Can't beat it.

#127 cdan delivery

cdan delivery

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Location:one foot on a banana peel, the other in the twilight zone
  • Full Name:pat wilkins

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

No matter, as I said, my opinion...........reaching in your pocket for your wallet is the easiest - still. No fees. Don't forget, on the internet you pay for convenience.

#128 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:39 AM

The last 5 kits I've bought were all from hobby shops, but my aftermarket parts all come from the net, unless there is a swap meet soon which is where I really like to buy. 

Online kit prices WITH SHIPPING cost more than what I can buy for at my LHS, plus the wait.

#129 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

>No fees. Don't forget, on the internet you pay for convenience.

actually, I think you will find it cheaper to buy on the net, and think clearly when adding up the extras: shipping is certainly an expense, but it is often offset at least somewhat when you do not have to pay sales tax, like  you do in most states in brick and mortar situations. and certainly you can find kits cheaper than at a typical mom and pop hobby shop, even with shipping charges. you might even say you pay for convenience of having the shop on the corner with real people you can talk to. unfortunately its going that way for all "customer service", you might have to pay to talk to a bank teller one day soon.

jb

#130 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:35 AM

>No fees. Don't forget, on the internet you pay for convenience.

actually, I think you will find it cheaper to buy on the net, and think clearly when adding up the extras: shipping is certainly an expense, but it is often offset at least somewhat when you do not have to pay sales tax, like  you do in most states in brick and mortar situations.

Those days of Sales Tax free transactions are on their way out.  Not making any sort of political statement, just a fact.  When I ordered my wife's birthday present from Amazon I was charged Sales Tax on it.  When the largest internet retailer does that, everyone will have to follow eventually or risk the wrath of the various State Taxation Departments, because we all know nobody willing admits to and then pays the requisite sale taxes on their state income tax forms.

#131 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Those days of Sales Tax free transactions are on their way out.  Not making any sort of political statement, just a fact.  When I ordered my wife's birthday present from Amazon I was charged Sales Tax on it.  When the largest internet retailer does that, everyone will have to follow eventually or risk the wrath of the various State Taxation Departments, because we all know nobody willing admits to and then pays the requisite sale taxes on their state income tax forms.

True. Since Amazon is placing warehouses in all kinds of places, they will charge you the sales tax if you live in that same area. Also, I just filed my own taxes and the State of Wisconsin asks for any items purchased online or from another state. If I drive to Illinois to buy something, I have to pay tax in Wisconsin.

#132 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

True. Since Amazon is placing warehouses in all kinds of places, they will charge you the sales tax if you live in that same area. Also, I just filed my own taxes and the State of Wisconsin asks for any items purchased online or from another state. If I drive to Illinois to buy something, I have to pay tax in Wisconsin.

I use Amazon Prime, and I do pay AZ sales tax on orders...

#133 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

I placed an online order this weekend for $16.00 worth of parts.  Shipping cost $8.00.  The only reason I ordered online is that they were not available locally.

#134 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

No, you only have to pay sales tax once.  If anything you would have to pay the difference if WI is higher than IL, but usually that's just on big stuff like cars. Or if you did paid tax in IL for a large purchase, WI will file to get the tax money from IL.  But still, you only pay once, or pay the difference. 

Edited by Brett Barrow, 20 January 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#135 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

While Amazon has a Distribution Center in Carlisle, PA, my order was shipped out of Cincinnati.  I paid PA Sales Tax at the Amazon checkout, they know where you live (with the whole drone delivery idea that sounds way more ominous these days), and charge the appropriate tax rate.

#136 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,028 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

While Amazon has a Distribution Center in Carlisle, PA, my order was shipped out of Cincinnati.  I paid PA Sales Tax at the Amazon checkout, they know where you live (with the whole drone delivery idea that sounds way more ominous these days), and charge the appropriate tax rate.

After Amazon opened their center here, is when AZ residents had to start paying local sales tax, but the nice thing about it is, I am only about 20 min's away from it , so when ever I buy something from Amazon direct , I get it next day, or second day, and dont have to pay for that extra , it is nice

#137 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

ok so yes amazon bent to the pressure and is charging it. and it is possible others might have to do the same. "possible" being the operative word; so far it is not countrywide (though I do have to pay CA tax for stuff originating in CA on ebay for instance).

but the thing about amazon: over 35$ (used to be 25 but that's another post) qualifies for free shipping, so having to pay the tax is again cancelled out by not having to pay the postage.

don't get me wrong; I don't think its right to local hobby shops, but its the reality: you are paying for them to serve you through the prices they have to charge just to be profitable.

jb

#138 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Example, the cheapest Revell 49 woody on ebay right now is $17.50 plus $6.00 shipping, and my LHS has it for $17.95 plus 7% Indiana sales tax, or $1.26. And I'll have it in hand as soon as the money changes hand.

No, I don't find it cheaper to buy online.

#139 jrherald420

jrherald420

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Full Name:James Herald

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

The cheapest i have found it around here is 26.00. In my case its a lot cheaper to buy online when you factor in the 9.75% tax and the 40 mile round trip.

#140 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

My LHS doesn't charge retail and is only 5 or 6 blocks from the feed store I go to twice a month, but I do admit most people aren't that lucky.