#141 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Sanded off all the drip rails and redid with Evergreen .010" x .020" strip.  The one over the rear window was incorrect (too short) and the ones on the sides were wonky on the rear pillar (especially on the passenger side)

merc001-vi.jpg

#142 gman

gman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Peters

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Sanded off all the drip rails and redid with Evergreen .010" x .020" strip.  The one over the rear window was incorrect (too short) and the ones on the sides were wonky on the rear pillar (especially on the passenger side)

merc001-vi.jpg

Nice job...you took care of the slight bulge in the passenger's side C-pillar at the same time I see.

#143 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

I would try copying the decals onto thin paper then use a water based glue so the paper could be buckled then scraped away carefully to expose the base metal beneath. Just an idea.

Except that there were no Ford or Mercury woodies built with wood veneer over steel panels.  In 1950, due to the deepening Korean Conflict and the military buildup at the outset of the Cold War, Ford cancelled the planned replacement of molded plywood with steel stampings after only a handful of these bodies were built that way, and went back to using the molded plywood (which in the case of the car pictured, is what that is--splitting, delaminating molded plywood, so no steel panel would show behind the distressed wood.

Art

#144 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Nice job...you took care of the slight bulge in the passenger's side C-pillar at the same time I see.

X2!  Good, subtle work there, Brett.

#145 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

i think norm at replicas and miniatures of maryland has "mod" squad figures too.

He also repops the roof rack and surfboards from the Mod Squad kit. Just putting it out there. B)

#146 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Got mine.  The chrome on the hubcaps is jacked up, missing on half of them. Bummer.

#147 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

If you want a flattie for your woodie, check out the AMT 53 Ford f-100, sharp detail, right distributor, fuel pump on the intake, single exhaust crossover also

#148 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,468 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

AMT 49 Merc is best engine for a stock build.

#149 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,946 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

AMT 49 Merc is best engine for a stock build.

Or the Revell '48 Ford convertible or woody, or '50 Ford truck...

#150 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

Or the Revell '48 Ford convertible or woody, or '50 Ford truck...

Pesonally, I would use the AMT '49 Merc engine.  It is well designed, correct for the marque and model year, and includes desirable features like correct, separate exhaust manifolds.  

The '50 Ford truck would be an OK swap, but the '48 Ford is a prior generation Flathead, with the distributor in a different location and the water hoses from the radiator connecting in a different location, so it would not be a prototypically correct choice for a '49 Merc Woody.....TIM  

#151 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

I've used the '50 F-1 Flattie engine in this kit (well, the chopped '49 Coupe anyway), and getting it to fit was no big deal. I used the ARDUN heads and three-carb intake, though, so I can't say how well it work as a stock-only application! I don't even think I had to mess around much with getting the headers to match up with the Merc exhaust.

#152 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

I've used the '50 F-1 Flattie engine in this kit (well, the chopped '49 Coupe anyway), and getting it to fit was no big deal. I used the ARDUN heads and three-carb intake, though, so I can't say how well it work as a stock-only application! I don't even think I had to mess around much with getting the headers to match up with the Merc exhaust.

Chuck...that is a great idea! 

For those of you considering this, just make sure your Ardun is from the second issue of the Revell '50 Ford Custom pickup (circa 2007 or so), as the Ardun in the first version of the Custom Ford Pickup was wrong in several areas (including siamesed exhausts that were great for a regular Flathead but completely wrong for an Ardun which has four separate exhaust ports on each head).  TB 

#153 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

If you use the '50 Ford engine, you would also need a different tranny for an accurate stock build. Replicas & Miniatures offers both the '50 block and a '49 Merc tranny cast separately; that might be the easiesr route if you don't want to use the engine from the AMT kit.

I'm using the '50 Ford flathead, with the tranny cut off and replaced with the transmission from the AMT '49 Merc (easy swap BTW).  I've found that the pickup oil pan is incorrect for a passenger car, won't clear the Merc's tie rod unit with the engine set forward as it needs to be.  

Pics once I get the front engine mounting points built for the front crossmember, and the oil pan shapes corrected.

Art

#154 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

for some good detail photos of a Merc woodie look here...

http://www.dupontreg...?itemid=1077999

#155 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

Would anyone care to speculate what (if anything) the next version of this tooling will be? 

#156 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

Would anyone care to speculate what (if anything) the next version of this tooling will be? 

I suspect there will be no next version, and this Woody is the end. This kit is already a custom based on the engine, so I don't think they'd try to squeeze another period custom out of the tooling, as it'd be too close to this kit.

A stock coupe is out of the question with the Cadillac engine, and I'm not sure I've seen more than a handful of stock coupes built from the AMT kit, so I can understand the decision not to go that route.

Shoebox Fords are a different width and wheelbase, so those are out, too. If Revell wasn't wiling to change the engine to a Flathead, I don't see them wanting to change the wheelbase, body, interior, etc.

I don't really see any other viable option for this tooling to be honest. I suspect the original custom has done very well, and this recent Woody, too, so maybe that was the plan (and the hope) from the start-- two good selling kits which will be in and out of the lineup for years to come.

#157 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:48 AM

how about a 49 Merc panel truck?

#158 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

Or custom convertible with Carson top.

#159 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

I don't really see any other viable option for this tooling to be honest. I suspect the original custom has done very well, and this recent Woody, too, so maybe that was the plan (and the hope) from the start-- two good selling kits which will be in and out of the lineup for years to come.

À custom convertible with carson top maybe?

#160 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

À custom convertible with carson top maybe?

What else would be different from the original '49 Custom Merc kit? And would the parts be different enough to justify a third version? I have my doubts, especially since the original Revell chopped coupe included two sets of wheels, three grilles, two different styles of bumpers right from the start.  

I think this subject was limited from the start, but since the '49 Mercury coupe is so iconic as a custom, it was probably leaning closer to a safe than risky when it came time to decide whether or not to proceed with creating an all new kit. I think this was discussed in the original Revell '49 Merc topic found HERE , but IMHO a chopped top right out of the box is a huge plus to most potential customers, and is probably the #1 reason Revell decided to proceed even when AMT's '49 Coupe will always be available.

I just feel Revell could spend its Hobbico allowance on other subjects, subjects with better and more bankable future sales potential.