#421 cswilliams1963

cswilliams1963

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Full Name:Cliff Williams

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

Brake Fluid.  I put the body and hood from a build that was done years ago in a gallon zip-lock bag with a quart of fluid and shook it up real good and within 30 minutes parts of the paint were gone all the way down to the original finish

#422 Snake45

Snake45

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Full Name:S. Mesner

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

I haven't read all 22 pages but here's what I use:

1. 91% rubbing alcohol. Fabulous for many old AMT and Pactra lacquers, for SOME Tamiya paints (not all), many Krylon spraybomb paints, and for most of the new Testor Model Master lacquers including the one-coat clear. Put a little on a rag and try it on the paint to be stripped. If ANY of it comes off, it should ALL come off with a 24 hour (or less) bath. If none comes off, time to move up.

2. Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner. Great for Testor and Pactra enamels, old and new, also works on some other Tamiya paints. What I like about it is the speed--no 24 hour soak involved. Spray on, let sit 15-20 minutes, attack with an old toothbrush under warm running water. Repeat as necessary. It usually takes three or four applications to get all the paint but I've stripped multi-coat enamel paint jobs this way in one to two hours. If the first application doesn't take ANY paint off after 15-20 minutes, give up and try something else. If the first ap takes ANY paint off, keep at it, it will eventually get it ALL.  BTW, I've seen the AMT lacquers shrug off Easy Off but yield immediately to rubbing alcohol.

3. Brake fluid. Only had to use this once, on a body that was apparently painted with Pontiac Engine Blue Paint. The above made no dent in it, but a weeklong soak in brake fluid eventually got it all. I really should use it more, I guess, but I'm comfortable with the other two methods.

I assume that somewhere in these 22 pages, someone has posted the standard warnings about dealing with Easy Off or anything else with lye in it. Nasty stuff that can really mess you up if you don't respect it, which I do.

#423 1hobby1

1hobby1

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Avalade

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

So I have had a hood sitting in purple power for about 2 days and the paint has not stripped yet. Usually by now I see some paint coming off but it almost looks untouched. I used dupli color primer and paint 2 coats each.

Anyone else have this problem? Might have to give the brake fluid a try this round.

#424 Bullitt

Bullitt

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Full Name:Phil Justason

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

I have a small metal  model of the Old Navy Truck and I would like to strip it & used is as a test bed for the weathering process. Any ideas as to what I could use for the paint removal, it almost looks like a laquer based paint.

Thanks