#1 Patrick2005

Patrick2005

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Myers

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

I just got an airbrush and was wondering what everyone here uses for paints and reducers? Also where do you buy yours? I see a lot of people using HOK paints and would love to know where to buy them.

#2 Chris White

Chris White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  • Full Name:Chris White

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:32 AM

being a "nube" to airbrush, I will share my small amount of wisdom, I use Tamiya paints, cut 50/50 with the Tamiya thinner, or Valejo air paint with a few drops of the Valejo airbrush thinner. Thankfully I have a new LHS that is well stocked

#3 Dinky

Dinky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Full Name:Arno vd Schoor

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:12 AM

I use Vallejo air without thinners, its airbrush ready. The Vallejo clear I thin with Vallejo's own thinner.
For the rest I use Zero paints which is also pre thinned and airbrush ready and Zero Paints Clearcoat but that you have to mix yourself with 2 components.

#4 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Full Name:Don Mueller

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

If you are looking for a better deal on HOK, contact Bob Dahl. He started repackaging the same pigments as HOK a few years ago.However, for some reason, his one ounce bottles are noticeably bigger and are not pre-thinned.

Attached File  bobs paint.jpg   128.65KB   2 downloads

Tell Bob Don (wisdonm) sent you.

#5 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:09 AM

I buy pre-reduced HOK paint from West Coast Airbrush.

#6 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:35 AM

Scale finishes is a good product.

#7 Mike

Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

I just got an airbrush and was wondering what everyone here uses for paints and reducers? Also where do you buy yours? I see a lot of people using HOK paints and would love to know where to buy them.

When it comes to paint use the manufacturers specified reducers.  Reduction varies depending on each paint brand, type of paint, color of paint, and the level of pigment in the paint, and the size of nozzle/needle you are using.  The general rule of thumb for airbrush reduction is the paint to have the consistency of 2% milk.  HOK paints are available at Coast Airbrush or TCP Global.  If you are going to use HOK paints, make sure to use a respirator.  I cannot stress this enough.  They're very toxic.