5 replies to this topic

#1 luciomduran

luciomduran

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

Its a 1/16 scale Top fuel Front engine dragster made by Revell. I am looking for information on this kit. When was the last time it was released? Is it still available from hobby stores or just on Ebay?, What other 1/16 scale dragsters has Revell put out based on this kit and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

#2 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:40 AM

It was released a few years ago. Like within the last 2 I think. On occasion some hobby shops still have one or two on the shelves. Mostly ebay though. Front engine cars that I'm aware of are the Cal Charger, Pruhomme's car, Tony Nancy, and The one from Revell of Germany. They also did rear engined cars. Kuhl and Olson, Prudhomme, Mongoose, Jeb Allen, and Garlits. Funny cars in 1/16 are Jungle Jim vega, Gene Snow Vega, Mongoose Vega,Prudhomme vega, Gene Snow charger,Hawaian Charger, and the Revellution Duster of which there's 3 or 4 different decal versions with different box art.
I think that's all in 1/16 from Revell as far as FED's and Floppers go.
Paul

Its a 1/16 scale Top fuel Front engine dragster made by Revell. I am looking for information on this kit. When was the last time it was released? Is it still available from hobby stores or just on Ebay?, What other 1/16 scale dragsters has Revell put out based on this kit and so on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

#3 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

Shoot! I forgot about the Beebe & Muligan car! (along with the Thompson grand ams .) Don't know about the 2 car Prudhomme/Mcewen set but I do have 2 of the Prudhomme Vega/ rear engine dragster sets. Forgot about the Chitown since it's one of the few I don't have and now that you mentioned the others, I had to hunt them down in my model room to make sure they were still there. No front engine garlits in 1/16 from Revell. (at least I've never seen one)
The Cal charger was to itself though. some of the engine pieces and the front axle were different along with the body. All the other FED's were the same as the Tony Nancy with decal changes I believe. Don't have a B&M to compare to my original Nancy kit.
Paul

Not quite. Revell also released a 1/16 Beebe and Mulligan FED a couple of years ago, based on the Tony Nancy/Cal Charger tooling. Pretty sure there was also a Garlits FED in the mix somewhere, too.
Other 1/16 scale F/C kits have include the Chi-Town Hustler Charger and Mickey Thompson's Pontiac Grand Am flopper. Also, wasn't there a two-car set at one point featuring Prudhomme's Army Vega and McEwen's Navy Duster?

#4 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

The front engine Prudhomme wasn't part of the originals either from what I was recently told. There was the Hot rod series which I think the Chi Town was part of, the Prudhomme RED/ Funny car combo, the Revellution, and the Yellow M/T car.
The Kuhl and Olson RED also uses a different motor. Only the block is different also unlike the cal charger. It actually says Donovan 417 on the block skirt! For the most part, the tooling was the same throughout the whole series. FED's shared the same parts with exception to the Cal Charger as stated. The RED's were like the FED's in the sharing dept other than the motor in the K&O car. Funnys were all the same other than bodies and injectors or hats. Between all three series of cars there are 3 different wheel styles also.
Probably much more than the OP wanted to know eh?
But by combining parts from various kits there are a lot of options for different vaiants at least. Then there's the Aurora stuff. High dollar only. I have some of it and am actually using the 392 for my 1/16 Surfers car.

Someday I will get to building the rest of the 1/16 drag cars I have. My JJ vega currently lives in the NHRA museum in Pomona. I need to get to building the rest of the cars along with the variants due to aftermarket decals. I already have the Flash Gordin decals in both scales. How many more were there. Pabst blue ribbon car, pure hell, and barry setzer are the only ones I know of in 1/16 at this time.
Paul

The Cal Charger, I'm fairly certain, used the same tooling as the other 1/16 FEDs, but had a few parts that were unique to that version. IIRC, the engine parts you mention were to dummy up the 426 Hemi to make it more closely resemble a 392, which was what K&C ran in the 1:1 car.
The Chi-Town Hustler, btw, was not part of the original "wave" of Revell drag car kits in the '70s. It's basically the Snowman Charger with different decals and was issued in the late 80s, at the same time Revell reissued the 1/16 scale Revellution Demon.

Edited by mr68gts, 28 November 2007 - 07:30 PM.

#5 djway3474

djway3474

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

I saw one go on ebay last week for 90 bucks then a couple days later another went for 38. Go figure. Both appeared to be the latest release.

#6 Mr.1/16th

Mr.1/16th

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Full Name:Santiago A. Hernandez

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

:lol: i have alot of these 1/16th kits in my shop and they were hard to come buy! but i do see them from time to time on ebay!!