8th Annual 24 Hour Build January 25th and 26th!

• You cannot reply to this topic
49 replies to this topic

#21 Nacho Z

Nacho Z

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Full Name:John Brolin

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Cheating....me? B)   Creative, yea, that's it....creative.  I was creative.  I love white race cars!!

#22 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Tom, are you well ? Your going to tackle one of those kits for a 24 hour build ? Good luck ! I will be watching to see what you come up with.  : )

Ray, I just finished up my A100 resin van, so I'm very familiar with the kit and it's shortcomings!  And I have two extra copies that aren't doing nuthin' so I figure what the hay!  I will be building it as a stock pickup and NOT the wheel stander.

The red glossy plastic on the kit does have me a bit worried since I just got stung by red plastic on a Lindberg Caravan kit. So maybe I'll just have to paint it red.  That plastic also melted into my drill bits.

I figure I built a Revell Miss Deal Studebaker last year, and that was a hassle of a kit. How much worse can the A100 be?

#23 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,435 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:14 AM

I sure don't doubt your talents Tom but that just seems like a tough row to hoe.  : )

#24 Nacho Z

Nacho Z

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Full Name:John Brolin

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

Hey Guys, I just posted pics of my build from the 6th annual 24 hour build.  It is the Shaker Trike.  Here is the link - http://www.modelcars...wtopic=84230=

#25 DaveM

DaveM

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Manley

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

I am still in on this one.  I have the fans set up so I can airbrush, unless the weather is incredibly nasty.   I will be flying solo, but I will try to post a few times during the build.  I still don't know which kit I will build for this, but I will go with a conventional kit with a body and interior.   I have a 72 Cutlass, 69 Nova, 70 Impala, 64 Thunderbolt, 60 Vette, 70 Cuda, 50 Olds, 66 Fairlane 51 Chevy, 72 GMC, 55 Ford Pickup and many other possible kits,  I might want something with a bucket style interior, to save a couple of steps in the painting and assembling procedure.  Maybe I should use up one of the Monogram kits that I never seem to build any more.  (1/24 scale)  Whatever I pick, I can thin the stash and get one on the shelf.  That is always a good thing.  

10 days to go!

Edited by DaveM, 16 January 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#26 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

I sure don't doubt your talents Tom but that just seems like a tough row to hoe.  : )

Who you calling a hoe?  :P  

#27 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Who you calling a hoe?  :P  

Beats being a Garden Weasel?

#28 o-man

o-man

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Full Name:Oscar White

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hey guys.  Thinking about getting in on this.  How hard are the Monogram Indycar kits? Parts count doesn't appear too high; any fitment issues?

#29 DaveM

DaveM

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

I think the Monogram indycars were pretty decent.  I have a few, but never built one.  I saw several completed back in the day, though and they all looked pretty nice.  I know the AMT ones were pretty fiddly.  The Monogram ones seemed to use a generic chassis with different engines and bodywork IIRC.  Seems like the year after all of the indycars came out, the Junior classes around here were full of the Monogram ones.  That's usually a good sign.  Hopefully somebody else here has actually built one and can pitch in.

#30 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm pretty stoked for this one. I am as ready as I can be.

#31 DaveM

DaveM

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:30 AM

What are we all building for this?  I was just about to do a 1966 Royal GTO Tiger , but I looked at the decals in the new issue. They have one black and one white decal.  I thought I was missing a sheet, but the instructions show the car being built with one black and one white side.  Not sure what Revell was thinking here... I will have to put this kit aside and source some aftermarket decals for it.  (And source out the slicks and headers that are missing now.)

Now I am going to go to the stash, which was the whole purpose of this build in the first place.  (Whittle the stash down by one kit per year!)  I have a stack pulled out with some recent reissues like the 78 Pacer, 76 Gremlin, 60 Ranchero, 70 Impala, AMT 55 Chevy and Nomad.  55 Ford Pickup (in 1/24 and bright red plastic!)  56 Ford Pickup, and a few others.  I also have some newer kits, including the 72 Cutlass, 62 Vette, 50 Olds, 66 El Camino, 62 Bel Air, 62 Impala, 66 Nova, 69 Nova, 55, 56 and 57 Chevy kits from Revell's '90s era tooling, Revell 58 Chevy, Hemi Cuda, 57 Ford, Revell Beetle, Hemi Dart, Thunderbolt and many countless others.  (I really have to trim the stash!!!)

I am really looking at the 66 El Camino, 70 Impala, 55 Ford Pickup, 72 Cutlass and 69 Nova.  I have never built the Nova, Elky or Cutlass before.  I remember hearing good things about the El Camino.  How are the Cutlass and Nova?  Any real hangups on either one?  In a perfect world, I would fix the wheel openings on the Nova, but for this build I would stop being a rivet counter for 24 hours.  I also keep staring at the 51 Chevy Convertible kit...  The pickup would be cool because It is a street machine, and I can paint it any color and detail it any way I want and be correct.  (No time in a 24 hour build to research reference material for every part you paint.)  Any dire warnings about why I shouldn't build one of these?  

I will make the final decision when I get home tonight.  THen I will get rested up for the build.  Let's all have fun with this!

p.s.  Our low temp Sat. night is going to be 6 degrees below zero Fahrenheit!  It will take a little extra effort to do the painting in this weather.  

#32 Baugher Garage

Baugher Garage

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Baugher

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

Wish I were in Connecticut - sounds like a great time!

#33 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

To be clear, as long as we obey the rules at the beginning of the post, anyone can join in this build without an official announcement before hand...is that correct?  I am asking because I am really wanting to get cranking into some builds now that some time is freeing up and I've got an understarted roadrunner I am itching to get at.  I might join with it.

#34 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Wish I could participate, hope you guys post a lot of pictures, I'll be watching.

#35 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

The main page for this build off is on Facebook. Anyone, anywhere can join in.

https://www.facebook...55951714469809/

The AMT '51 Chevy are good kits. I think it should be fine. And no says you can't research before hand.

#36 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

If you wanted to participate on Facebook then you can just join in, or if you were planning on creating an album specifically for the build on Photobucket/Fotki/Flickr for the build to be linked up to the main Fotki page for the build you'd need to get in touch with Gary via the F.B. page by this evening.  Otherwise you can post your progress here, or as a WiP (might want to call out in the thread title that it;s for the 24hr build) as we'll all be keeping track of everyone's progress while the paint and glue are setting up through out the evening and overnight.

Edited by niteowl7710, 24 January 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#37 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Thanks, for the info.  Yeah, if I get to do it, I'll just have to do a workbench for the 24 hour build here.  I don't have Facebook.

#38 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

well, im out before i start...just found out a while ago i gotta work extra tomorrow. :blink:

#39 drunknmunky

drunknmunky

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:William Mason

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

Okay guys, I'll jump in. I know it's the 11th hour and to be honest, I'm going out to grab a kit right now lol. I've been back into building for a little over a year and still haven't actually 'finished' anything. I've got about 8 cars that are 90 percent though. So this will be my chance to just get it done. I'll post my kit when I return in about an hour. 

#40 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Aaaannnnndddddd..................................GO!!