Model Cars Magazine Forum

What makes us/you shelve a build ?

It really feels great to finish a build, but I have to remind myself that the true "final product" for me is the enjoyment of building. This allows me to not feel bad about all the partially built stuff in my stacks of boxes. If I let those uncompleted builds start to wear on me, I need to adjust my attitude.

From 2013, I can count about four that I never finished, one I never got around to getting the parts needed to finish it, plus I didnt like how it was turning out, another one, same, It wasnt turning out how I wanted, and not close to the subject I was trying to replicate, and just lost interest because of that, well for both . Another one, I just flat out made a mess of it, so I didnt want to finish it

For me its a weather issue. This is mostly a winter time hobby. In the spring, summer and fall, I'm outside with my first love. A 55 chevy. However, in 2009 I was laid off for 2 weeks so I did finish 9 models that had been started and not finished.

Edited by Dwight55

Get interested in another kit ? Can't get the proper parts or decals for a build ? Just curious.

These,and often ideas pop as i build so there is change of plan. Then off to search for parts,and the wait for those parts.

So between the wait i start an new kit -_-

All of the above. But on the plus side, I did find 2 kits, painted & partially assembled, while digging though my abandoned projects. So I was able to finish one, before the end of the year & have a good jump on this year. Last night, I was looking through pictures, on my computer, & noticed how far along I was, on another build (not painted though), so I think it may be build #2 of this year.

I get model ADD from time to time, and will switch kits. Not very often, though. More often, I will box a kit through sheer frustration. I almost shelved an AMT Camaro concept recently but was able to power through. Fit was terrible, huge amounts of flash, an engine and interior that wouldn't look out of place on a Tonka toy...

I've found that I lose steam when it comes down to adding all of the small details. I begin to get bored because it doesn't seem like I'm making any progress. I can work on a model for hours and it doesn't look much different than when I started the build session. Could be why I've grown to love curbside builds so much. ;)

For me it used to be big ideas, too little effort. I'd be like, "YEAH! An Allision V-12 in a Mini Cooper"! I'd collect parts from 9 kits, cut everything up, and realize it was a stupid idea. I got plenty of practice cutting and splicing, but finishing one? LOL! The material I've wasted over the years….. and time…..

Now I try and set reasonable goals. Last year I didn't start build #2 until #1 was done. So far this year #1 is waiting for final paint, so I started on #2. Now I'm waiting on bits-n-pieces for #2. Do I start #3? No….. not falling into THAT rut! I got enough going on as it is!

I'm gonna go play my Bass instead……. ;)

Mostly I lose interest, cause things don't go my way or turn out the way I see in my head. I have to say at any one time or another have as many as 18 kits started, some from as far back as 20 years. But last year I did manage to finish 3 kits I started (modified) some years ago, mind you none of the three were finished the way I thought they would back then. I am also a lot older and wider sorry wiser. HaHaHa A good friend of mine does not start another kit until he finishes the one he has opened.....go figure!

1) I get in over my head, skill-wise, and have to wait for my ability to catch up to my vision.

I have seen friends making grand plans & then, shelving the project. I would always think to myself, "I won't let that happen to me..." But, in reality, it does.

One of the biggest killers for me is being inspired by a 1:1 car in a photo, & then trying to make it happen in scale. It all starts off relatively good, & then, as I become more familiar with the lines of the 1:1, I realize how much work it will take to get the model to even look like a stock version of the car I'm building, THEN I have to customize it. Sometimes, I try everything, measure, take photos, etc... & when I look at the model in progress, it just looks "off" So, it goes back into the box until I figure it out.

I have sworn myself not to buy a kit until the current one is finished. Atypical for a modeler, I know.

Right now, I have a kit in primer, but I don't know what to do with it. I keep pulling it out, ready to work on it, study it for a while, and then put it back in the box.

I'd really like to kit bash this and make it a hot rod, but, In order to do it right, I'm afraid I'd be above my skill level. I can learn, but I am going to screw up some material, and maybe the kit too.

I thought I might make a rusty beater out of it too, but I am not sure what color to paint it, or how I want to improve my rusting abilities.

So, I've shelved this project because I am still pondering...

It really feels great to finish a build, but... the true "final product" for me is the enjoyment of building. This allows me to not feel bad about all the partially built stuff in my stacks of boxes...

Works for me too...

Real life has deadlines and completion schedules; IMHO, a hobby can do without them.

That being said, Bill, for those of us that have a hard time completing projects sometimes a deadline helps. Case in point, my club's latest New Year's Challenge finally got me off my duff and building something. We also have our annual show and I always strive to have something new ready for it, although lately that hasn't been happening.