#61 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

Lye is a strong alkaline solution of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. It is used to make soap and drain and oven cleaners. Chemical formula: KOH or NaOH. Just look for these terms or Chemical formulas on the container. 

CASTROL SUPER CLEAN will eat the paint off of anything and not damage the plastic. ive been using it forever, and it works great! ten bucks a gallon at any wally world.....

cheers

bryan

#62 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

CASTROL SUPER CLEAN will eat the paint off of anything and not damage the plastic. ive been using it forever, and it works great! ten bucks a gallon at any wally world.....

cheers

bryan

I was mentioning what was in Purple Power, or Super Clean and to look for something equivalent in his country. They do not sell Super Clean or Purple Power in Great Britain. Also Super Clean is no longer made by Castrol, it is made by some other company now. Still great stuff.

Edited by lordairgtar, 15 January 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#63 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

oh bummer, no super clean in the UK?  that stinks. purple power doesnt work as fast, when i strip chrome parts and toss them in the SC it looks like they are boiling!

cheers

bryan

#64 Dave42

Dave42

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Walters

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

I've never shelved a build. I did stop working on one during a divorce, but I never took it off of the bench. I build one at a time, and as with the few others that do the same have mentioned, I think it's some kind of disorder-ish thing. I have to work on it until it's finished.

Unfortunately I think it has resulted in some builds that ended up maybe a little rushed toward the end because inspiration for something else hit.

Anyway, cool thread. I am suprised at just how many folks do shelve builds, and how many build multiple kits at a time.

#65 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Occasionally It happens to me when I start final assembly on a particular model and then find that things don't fit together right even though I test fitted everything beforehand.  It is usually a resin kit where either the interior doesn't fit right after the dashboard is glued in place, or, the entire interior doesn't fit right after the glass is installed.

At that point after trimming and fitting several times with no success, instead of stepping on the darn thing, I put it all away and will come back to it usually months later with a fresh outlook and usually solve the problem and get everything together. 

#66 Dan Helferich

Dan Helferich

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

I'll walk away from a build if it has me frustrated. I have lots of ongoing projects so I just move on to something else. When I go back the problems usually get solved easily and I'm on my way again. I also build for the fun of it, so, as long as I'm progressing on something I'm happy.

#67 cartpix

cartpix

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Davidson

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:55 AM

The last kit, I finished, last year, was a shelved kit. The first one, this year, was a shelved one. Both had painted bodies. My current build, while not painted, was started. Yesterday, I was looking for a part & found my 56 Chevy Del Ray was painted (metallic), but the roof had streaks & a puddle. It's next in the line up, as a 2 tone. The 56 "bumped" another unfinished kit, down a spot. Even though this thread started after re-starting the first build of the year, it has made me rethink several unfinished projects. My 4th kit, on this year's schedule, will be an untouched kit.

#68 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

I'll walk away from a build if it has me frustrated. I have lots of ongoing projects so I just move on to something else. When I go back the problems usually get solved easily and I'm on my way again. I also build for the fun of it, so, as long as I'm progressing on something I'm happy.

Bingo! I have my Dodge A100 resin van on the bench and creating suitable wood bumpers (anyone want a dozen rejects?) has me frustrated. So it will sit a bit and I'm working on a '32 Ford sedan delivery in the meantime.  I usually have 3-4 things on the bench. When I go upstairs, sometimes I have a specific mission in mind, other times I just look at the bench until something grabs my attention. Then I work on that one for awhile, whether it's for a task, an evening or until I finish it.

And another reason stuff gets shelved is that it gets pushed back on the bench to build something with a deadline.  Maybe it's a theme model for a club build for the next meeting,  or for a show theme.  Or this week it will be for the 24 Hour Build.  Yea, I will clear off the bench so I can build without distraction!

Edited by Tom Geiger, 19 January 2014 - 06:35 AM.