#1 Gregg

Gregg

da Big Kahuna

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,425 posts
  • Full Name:Gregg Hutchings

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

Okay, after what, ten years? I finally got the ALPS 5000 printer I had bought from "someone" a long time ago.

This "someone" did not lock down the print heads when it was shipped, and as such, they were damaged.

I did not have the funds back then to do the printer repair/exchange program ALPS USA had, before they closed down.

I found a new source recently that repairs them, and they did their magic in less than two weeks.

I picked up a Windows PC, running XP, and I tried to do some tests on it.

It works!!!!

But I need a favor, and some help.

I need to try and print some real model car graphics/decals, but I don't have any graphics, images, or decal to print yet.

If anyone has a simple decal they want printed, and they have the graphic image done, and print ready, send it to me, and I will try and do a test, to see if I get this working right.

I have tried simple words, like my project Vega show car, that was called Adrenaline, which will be a simple gold foil on a slight arch.

Keep it simple.

Maybe one, or two colors, I can do the gold foil, silver foil, and gold metallic.

Also can do white, I think, but have not tried that yet.

I only have a few sheets of the Tango paper so far.

The images should be about 2-3" long/wide, and maybe door height?

This will be very limited.

I am not going to print everyone's

Just need a couple of good art work/decals/graphic to try out

No fancy stuff, no wild flame jobs

Like I said, I'm doing Adrenaline, and one more I just thought of: Guava Jam, and Adam's Apple

You can do simple text in Word, with Word's Word Art, that works, and I can print them out as is.

This will be part of a full feature/story for the mag, but I need more art work/decals to try out.

k den

PLEASE NOTE:
I will not do any copyrighted or pre-done decals from someone else.

They have to be your original decals, art work, graphics, etc.

Please send to me at gregg@modelcarsmag.com

#2 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Full Name:Don Mueller

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

PM sent.

#3 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph Osborn

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Here's a Pro Tip, Gregg: look over the Tango Papa paper very well and make sure there's no dirt or crud embedded in the top lacquer layer.  If you find something big enough to catch your fingernail, dig it out with the tip of an X-acto or discard the sheet.  If you see a bunch of lint and junk, scrub it out with some fine steel wool and clean it off before you run it through the printer.  This stuff on the surface of the paper can and will kill the print head in the Alps.  Experts Choice paper from Bare-Metal Foil or the Micro-Mark paper is clean and safer for the printer.  There's no telling how many Alps printers that TP paper has killed over the years.  It killed three of mine before I realized what was going on and switched paper.

#4 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Can I ask who fixed the ALPS for you?   I have one working and one dead.....

#5 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

Dave, I'm pretty sure it was Elephant's Rocket in Japan.  The service is expensive, but awesome.  They are the only ones doing it in the whole world, AFAIK.

#6 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

About what kinda $$$$$?

#7 Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

A Lot.  You have to email them with your problem and they'll give you a price to fix.  You can buy a refurb'ed 5000 from them for about $560 plus another $200 for shipping.

#8 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the info.....I'll sit on it for now!

#9 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

PM sent.

#10 Bgrgbldr

Bgrgbldr

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Dobias

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Gregg,

Is there a meeting this weekend? If so I may drop by if you still need help with you printer. I can show you some tricks and I have some graphics you could try.

Gary

#11 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

Gregg - did you get enough graphics to try out your ALPS? I have some original artwork done in Adobe Illustrator I could send if you need some more to test.

LMK

#12 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Here is a great support group for Alps printers.

http://groups.yahoo..../alpsdecal/info

#13 Doctordarryl

Doctordarryl

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Full Name:Darryl W. Peters

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

I have been making decals for over 15 years on Alps printers and have used Tango Papa decal paper exclusively. I have never had a problem and their decal paper is the best in quality and thinness that I have found. My decals do not need setting solution to snuggle down. They are very thin. I also use Liquid Decal film over the decal to seal the ink. Consequently, customers of mine have over coated models with my decals using the whole range of clears (i.e., enamel, lacquer, acrylic lacquer, acrylic enamel, polyurethane, etc.) without affecting the decals. I have been commercially selling decals for nearly 10 years and have done custom decal work for many well known model builders. I have produced decals in scales from 1/48th to 1/10th and have highly satisfied customers world-wide.

I use Adobe Photoshop or CorelDraw to generate my artwork. I have the world's best selling line of decals for the Revell Kurtis Kraft midget kits and have released more drag race decals (i.e., Wally Booth's Gremlin ProStock, Kenz&Leslie High Country Cougar '68 Cougar F/C, Kenz&Leslie High Country Cougar II '69 Cougar F/C, Don Garlits SW14, Milner's Dragster, and my newest release is Al Bergler's Aggravation A/C copue which can easily be built from the new Monogram Slingster dragster kit). The first two runs of the Kenz&Leslie High Country Cougar '68 Cougar F/C were sold out in less than 30 days and I am doing another run. These decals were sized for the MPC/AMT '68 Cougar F/C kits and are the only accurate decals for that model available from anyone. If you are lucky enough to have the hard to find '69 Cougar High Country Cougar II F/C kit you can finally build it because I also have decals for that car which again correct the errors in the kit decals. I have builds of both underway and will post to the appropriate forum when I get further along.

You can see some of my decals (from Scale Auto Details) at the following Fotki link

http://public.fotki....caleautodetails

I have purchased several Alps printers from Elephant Rocket and am very pleased with their products and support.

Gregg: If you have any questions about using Alps printers for making decals feel free to message me and we can trade e-mail addresses. Elephant Rocket should also have provided a link to the most recent Alps printer drivers. If you do not have that, please message me and I can send you a copy via e-mail.

#14 Doctordarryl

Doctordarryl

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Full Name:Darryl W. Peters

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

I did not realize which Gregg this was. You have my e-mail address (Darryl Peters) so feel free to drop me a line if you have questions.

#15 scalenut

scalenut

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Hobbs

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

tango papa  buys in limited quantity so the paper stays fresh , , he also guarantees his paper , I know of many aftermarket guys that have had excellent service from Tom (including myself for over 10 years) and he  has no problem replacing your paper if there is any problem whatsoever. class act.

also if you havn't already..... learn vector.(illustrator,corel)...

also stock up on cartridges , I believe sometime mid year production stops .

#16 stangforever1

stangforever1

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck boener

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Good luck with the new Tango Papa. Ever since he switch to his new paper I can't print on it to save my life. I don't why but none of my 3 1000's printers will print right on it. I have tried everything from wiping it down with lighter fluid to 90% alcohol and nothing works. I finally switched to paper sold by Bare Metal Foil and it is excellent paper. I have virtually no problems printing with it all. The only problem with them is they don't offer the legal size decal paper which I need as I offer 1/16 th drag decals.