Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Tabs and Brackets - À la carte!?

Good Morning everyone.

I thought i'd write to get some input on a project i've been working on for some time now.

I have a ton of artwork for tabs and brackets that i've been doing here and there for the past couple years to have them photoetched.

The problem i always run into is how to put those pieces into logical kits to have them made.

The thing i run into time and again is wondering, "what if a customer doesn't want that many of this part on the fret, what if a customer needs more of another part and would have to buy multiple frets to get what they need".

I go around in circles trying to make a decision, changing my mind, and never actually get a completed fret together and put it onto a plate to get etched.

So last night i started thinking about doing all of these brackets A la carte, A single small fret with multiples of a single type of bracket, and offer a whole bunch of different ones and you'd just get what you want for your project. Pick your tab's radius (for what tube it would fit onto), pick the offset you want for the tab, and pick what hole size you want (to match whatever pin, screw, or bolt you are putting into it)

This goes against classical thinking for model parts. Most PE products are kitted together for a single project in mind.

My thought when i started Dirt Modeler was always to create a sort of mini parts shop. Not so much one that sold kits of different pre determined projects, but something like a scale version of Jegs and Tabzone.

I'm going to go ahead and take the gamble and move head on this project. There is only so many parts i can fit on this plate i'm working on, if there is enough interest i'll definitely continue on with the project on future plates. The first release will be around 100 different tab choices in multiple scales, starting with basic radius and flat tabs.

I hope it ends up being something that can be universally utilized by modelers, regardless of what your subject or scale is.

I'd prefer a larger fret with a lot of tabs. Often I'm building and want something specific but don't want to wait for something I have to order. If I need more than what's on the fret, I need to buy another fret. I think ala carts sales will be an inventory nightmare for minimal profit.

I'm going to start with the basics.

I did some calculations, and if i devote half of my plate to just tab frets, i can have 120 different little frets about 1.25" square. It may seem really small, but you can fit quite a few in that space.

The idea is to keep the cost down on the individual frets, somewhere between $2 and $4 ea (i don't have my spreadsheet here at work to do my calculations for an exact price at the moment).

The frets will all be the same size, the retail prices will all be the same too.. i'll just put all i can into that space. If you have a larger scale, the tabs will be larger, and you'll just get fewer tabs per fret.

I'm going to work in 3 scales, 1:24, 1:16, and 1:8.

5 (scale) tube sizes for radius tabs: 3/4", 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2"

The hole sizes on these tabs are all meant to coincide with Scale Hardware offerings. From their tiny .012" Shaft simulated hex bolt, up to a 0-80 screw.

Of course i can't hit all the sizes right off the bat, i'll have to add them gradually to the line.

post-8249-0-83655100-1389290233_thumb.pn

I'd prefer a larger fret with a lot of tabs. Often I'm building and want something specific but don't want to wait for something I have to order. If I need more than what's on the fret, I need to buy another fret. I think ala carts sales will be an inventory nightmare for minimal profit.

Well, maybe a la carte isn't the exact term, I mean, i won't be selling tabs individually.. but small frets of multiples of one type of tab. The product may not be perfect for your needs.. and that's ok. No product is perfect for everyone.. we all have different needs for our modeling.

My thought is, i'm trying to move away from deciding for customers what parts should be grouped together, and let customers get just what they need for their projects.

Edited by DirtModeler

i'm trying to move away from deciding for customers what parts should be grouped together, and let customers get just what they need for their projects.

^^This.^^

As you said, you can never pick a "perfect" set of parts to fit every customer's taste, and if a fret is not created for use with a particular kit, I would also go with the more general fret of like parts idea.

While you are at it a a fret of say 5 - 10 angle brackets would be great something that the user could bend themselves. With 4 - 6 holes in them so fastener heads could be located. Those would be super easy squares or rectangles, even a longer length that the user could trim to size. I'd buy a bunch of something like that. For Hot Rods you always need some sort of angle bracket.

You can never have too many brackets. I'm not much of a "planner" or "measurer" more just eyeball it . so for me having several different sizes is beneficial but being able to get multiples of the brackets I need is nice too. I know this doesn't help .

While you are at it a a fret of say 5 - 10 angle brackets would be great something that the user could bend themselves. With 4 - 6 holes in them so fastener heads could be located. Those would be super easy squares or rectangles, even a longer length that the user could trim to size. I'd buy a bunch of something like that. For Hot Rods you always need some sort of angle bracket.

Could you sketch that out? I'm interested in the concept, but not sure exactly what you are wanting here.

I have to make a firm decision pretty quickly and get this plate done, but everything is on the table at the moment.

Thanks guys, keep up the comments. I have to make a firm decision and get this done in the next week. The whole reason for this plate is for some parts that i've been out of stock of for quite some time now.. the only problem is those parts aren't enough to justify a whole plate run.. i have to fill the rest of the plate with other items to make it more cost effective...

I have to really buckle down over the weekend to get things finalized.

(Image of tabs wouldn't quote...)

1:1 shops like Allstar Performance and S&W Race Cars have bunches of chassis tabs like this, and it would be great to have them in scale for attaching stuff to scratch built chassis.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

Here is the basic concept for the u-bend brackets that I was thinking. I've really never seen anything along this line, they are the basic bare bones of Hot Rod and Race Car fabrication, as you almost always need to turn 90 degrees to mount something. They don't have to be the same sizes suggested I just pulled those dimensions out of the air.

Basic flat object with a radius on each corner 1/4 inch is pretty standard in manufacturing in 1/25th scale that would be an 0.01 radius or almost un-noticeable, so slightly rounded corner. Hole size, again go for a 1/4 inch hole or 0.01 there for basic location, the user could open it up or use as is.

Basically what I am thinking in the world of flat would be, 4" X 5" with 3 holes across the 5" wide flange. When bent up in an equal leg configuration it would have (2) 2" legs and a 5" long flange, or the user could bend it unequally say a 3" and 1" leg and 5" flange...

For the longer lengths, or cut to length a flat piece of angle stock again say 2" X 2" legs and maybe a 12" long flange with holes every 2". the user could then trim the flat angle to their required size and bend it to their required leg lengths.

Please pardon the poor quality cell phone pic it gets the idea across though.

post-5775-0-46807400-1389473480_thumb.jp

Edited by Skip

Here is the basic concept for the u-bend brackets that I was thinking. I've really never seen anything along this line, they are the basic bare bones of Hot Rod and Race Car fabrication, as you almost always need to turn 90 degrees to mount something. They don't have to be the same sizes suggested I just pulled those dimensions out of the air.

Basic flat object with a radius on each corner 1/4 inch is pretty standard in manufacturing in 1/25th scale that would be an 0.01 radius or almost un-noticeable, so slightly rounded corner. Hole size, again go for a 1/4 inch hole or 0.01 there for basic location, the user could open it up or use as is.

Basically what I am thinking in the world of flat would be, 4" X 5" with 3 holes across the 5" wide flange. When bent up in an equal leg configuration it would have (2) 2" legs and a 5" long flange, or the user could bend it unequally say a 3" and 1" leg and 5" flange...

For the longer lengths, or cut to length a flat piece of angle stock again say 2" X 2" legs and maybe a 12" long flange with holes every 2". the user could then trim the flat angle to their required size and bend it to their required leg lengths.

Please pardon the poor quality cell phone pic it gets the idea across though.

thanks Skip, i'll see if I can incorporate that into the next plate run.

Well, I can say for certain i'll have a whole bunch of new tab and bracket frets on the next plate, coming in about a month. I probably won't cover everyone's needs right out of the gate, but if the grand experiment gets a warm enough response, i'll follow up with even more on future plates.

I have a deadline of this coming Monday to finish this plate, so i'll have to get done all i can by then.. i have a lot of new frets done now. With the coming weekend and the extra day off for MLK i should have a hefty collection to offer for most needs.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on this project.

I've recently completed the artwork for a large number of new parts, including this Tab and Bracket line.

I'll have more pictures and info for the other items later, but wanted to touch base on the Tab and Bracket line.

The first wave will be about 75 different frets of tabs and brackets.. radius tabs, flat tabs, bent tabs, etc. 75 frets with about 3 different sizes on them.

To help customers find exactly what they need, i'm doing dimension drawings of each of the parts frets, the drawings will look like the attached image.

ETA on the new parts is mid to late February.

This whole series has the exact same size of fret, and the same price ($2.49)

I wanted to keep these inexpensive and something people would want to have an assortment of on-hand for whatever project you're working on.

post-8249-0-42678800-1390839961_thumb.pn

Edited by DirtModeler

The reference drawings are a great idea. Really lets me know what I'm ordering.

Will this new run solve the Out of Stock issue with rod ends?

Dale

This particular new plate doesn't have any rod ends on it. i really wanted to get some on, but ran out of room.

I currently have a new run of the Chrome plate being made for me, and that will have a small number of chrome rod ends on it.. it will be available about the same time, mid to late February.

The next plate I do in a couple months will solve a lot of these kinds of issues.

Some of the tabs and brackets will be much more popular then others. On the next plate i'll have more of the most popular frets, some new sizes and variations, and a bunch of the rod end kits.

I'm also working on some clevis link end kits that will work a lot like the rod ends i already offer.

post-8249-0-59664800-1390841947_thumb.jp

Edited by DirtModeler