70 replies to this topic

#1 carsntrucks4you

carsntrucks4you

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:20 AM

Ford has a "Make and take" for kids at the NAIAS. Kids can build the new 2015 Ford Mustag. The model is from Revell

Check this out http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fWYY5aEfCHI

Until now non of this snap kit are offered on evil bay. It is a matter of time wen the first kits will be on sale

#2 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:49 AM

I'm glad they painted modelers in such a positive light - as a total dolt "expert at making model cars".

Really simplified snap, but at least some tooling is done!

Edited by Erik Smith, 17 January 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#3 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:02 AM

Well I expect the video is probably designed to be played at the Make 'n Take area on a loop.  So the target audience is in the single digits, and they sort of expect the over-the-top engaging delivery.

Meanwhile there ya go folks who want a modern car, here's your 2015 Mustang!  Now back to 50's with you before this modernity stinks up our tweed...

#4 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

Looks like something we'll see in a blister pack hanging next to the pre-painted Star Wars kits in the not-too-distant-future.  I would expect a regular boxed Snap-Tite kit to be a little nicer than that. 

#5 Bad Brad #2

Bad Brad #2

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Full Name:Jim James

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:18 AM

Good thing you posted the video link, Martinsfan5 would NEVER have believed that Revell would have a kit out before the actual car hits the streets otherwise.

#6 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

Meh..just a Snap Tite.  If they had announced a full detail '15 Mustang, that would have been interesting.   At least the 'Expert Toy Model Assembler' in the video was young instead of one of the creepy geriatrics that haunt various online modeling forums. ;)

#7 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

Good thing you posted the video link, Martinsfan5 would NEVER have believed that Revell would have a kit out before the actual car hits the streets otherwise.

12 pieces of mostly assembled plastic toy is hardly a model kit.  The only reason they had it there was Ford PAID them to have it there.

#8 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

At least it shows signs of factory assistance while the car was still top secret.  Hasn't been too much of that lately.  For the past few years Revell had to go and find an measure a 1:1 on their own dime if they wanted to make a model of it.  If you want kits of new cars while they're still relatively new (making a new full-detail model kit is about a 2-year process from concept to shelves) then there has to be factory assistance before the car is public. 

Edited by Brett Barrow, 17 January 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#9 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:11 AM

I wonder if they will do a promo version and sell it at Ford dealers...would be a neat retro touch....  Though it's been a while since Revell has done promos, most recent ones have been from Round 2.

#10 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

At least it shows signs of factory assistance while the car was still top secret.  Hasn't been too much of that lately.  For the past few years Revell had to go and find an measure a 1:1 on their own dime if they wanted to make a model of it.  If you want kits of new cars while they're still relatively new (making a new full-detail model kit is about a 2-year process from concept to shelves) then there has to be factory assistance before the car is public. 

I agree completely, hope this "kit", along with the sound bites from the Revell people indicate a new relationship with Ford going forward.

#11 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

Snap kit at first... but down the road, I would bet a more detailed version.
This works for me. I can't even stay motivated to finish a sen

#12 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Sipes

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

So its a cheapened unassembled promo. At least they are trying to get kids involved in our hobby.

#13 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

I wonder if they will do a promo version and sell it at Ford dealers...would be a neat retro touch....  Though it's been a while since Revell has done promos, most recent ones have been from Round 2.

They did the Corvette promos from 2000-2007, then the Corvette/GM promo deal went to DoAllSer (now known as AMT's "Showroom Replica" line)

I think most of their current Snap-tite line were designed intended to be sold as promos during this same time frame when they had the GM promo contract, but I've only seen the 63 Vette coupe, 57 Chevy, and Impala Police Car actually done up as pre-assembled promos.  Anybody ever seen a promo version of the others (63 Corvette convertible, 77 Monte Carlo, 69 Camaro, 70 Chevelle, Camaro Concept)? 

Edited by Brett Barrow, 17 January 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#14 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Good try , but it didnt work ;) , moving on,  Lets see if this will transition in to a full glue kit

#15 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

.  So the target audience is in the single digits, 

Looking at the fellow in that vid, makes one wonder if the single-digit referenced is I.Q.

#16 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

My 6 year old son liked it, but how am I gonna get him to the autoshow LOL

#17 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Looking at the fellow in that vid, makes one wonder if the single-digit referenced is I.Q.

Well Glenn with all due respect you're about 10x too old for the video.  Mr. Wizard got replaced with Bill Nye - The Science Guy a while ago, and this embodies a little bit of that "too interested in the subject matter - over the top delivery".  It's slap-stick and kooky, like Luc points out kids will love it.  It's Ford's video, not Revell's and as such it's not a Detailed How-To on Model Building, but I imagine Ford's ad people know exactly what they're doing.  The video is meant to be playing on monitors as you enter the Auto Show, to grab the kids attention, who will then immediately want one of those "cool" Mustangs of their own and drag their parents past all of the other manufacturer's displays directly to the Ford "booth".  Sure a mom and dad with 6-12 year old kids aren't in the market for a Mustang (although Dad and/or Mom might want one), but it's all about getting people in the "door" and then getting them to sit in a cross-over or the F-150 they actually will buy this year.

Edited by niteowl7710, 17 January 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#18 gasman

gasman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

So what do you do when you can't go to the naias and want one of the new Mustang kits

#19 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

As an addendum to my earlier comments...

When I played it for my wife, all THREE of my kids (including an 11 m/o - although he was more interested in trying to touch my mousepad) came to watch. My 2 y/o was pointing at the screen shouting "Car-Car! CAR-CAR!!!", while my 11 y/o was asking if they were going to give them away at the Car Show in Pittsburgh next month. Both of them are female type children.

Ford - MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Edited by niteowl7710, 17 January 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#20 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

JAN 16, 2014 | DETROIT KIDS OF ALL AGES CAN GET AN ALL-NEW MUSTANG; FREE REVELL MODEL KITS AT NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

• Revell® is giving away the first official 2015 Ford Mustang model kit free of charge to visitors to the Ford display at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit
  • The 2014 North American International Auto Show marks the first public auto show appearance of the all-new Ford Mustang

Pony car fans of any age can be first in the world to own the all-new 2015 Ford Mustang this weekend at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. To commemorate 50 years of Ford Mustang, Revell® – a worldwide leader in the hobby industry – will host a Make ’n Take event at the Ford booth during the show.

At the event, children will be able to build and take home their own free Auto Show Edition 2015 Ford Mustang model before the all-new pony car even hits the road.

Revell’s 2015 Ford Mustang model kit easily snaps together in minutes. The overall experience is engaging, authentic and fun for families and kids of all ages.

Edited by 1930fordpickup, 17 January 2014 - 03:49 PM.