#22 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Full Name:JC Reckner

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

To the best of my knowledge, Weber motors did not use a return line to the tank since they run at ~3psi of fuel pressure. Seen on 2129 is an AN line from the log to the fuel gauge on dash (very risky). Does your reference of 2128 show a return line?

Also, what is the cylinder above the battery?

I made the assumption that the line was a fuel return line, it leaves the log and disappears into the fire wall just like the posted photo.  It may go to a fuel gauge or possible a fuel pressure gauge.  Above the battery is the starter relay.  Fully wired-no, but good enough when the chassis is installed and you can barely see it.

Attached Files

Edited by afx, 24 March 2014 - 07:47 AM.

#23 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

The relay should look exactly like mine. They were either black or Ford blue. Wires on the large lugs to starter solenoid and ground (usually a bellhousing bolt). Small lugs connect to the main wire harness, usually wrapped spirally in black tape. They didn't fuss. Generally on the firewall on passenger side.

Only one relay here due to reflection:

http://P2200004Medium_zps1ca6382b.jpg

#24 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

The relay should look exactly like mine. They were either black or Ford blue. Wires on the large lugs to starter solenoid and ground (usually a bellhousing bolt). Small lugs connect to the main wire harness, usually wrapped spirally in black tape. They didn't fuss. Generally on the firewall on passenger side.

Only one relay here due to reflection:

http://P2200004Medium_zps1ca6382b.jpg

Not sure where you are going with your posts Cato.  I realize I have not perfectly represented every detail of the car.  Just doing the best I can with the limited skills, time and budget that I have.

#25 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Excellent discussion gentlemen.

The only agenda I have is to appreciate a well done Cobra by a talented builder. I have 1:1 experience that I enjoy sharing with people that might use it in scale. Those not wishing to take advantage of that are not obligated. Apparently, you're in that group.

Other forum members who may enjoy Cobra-building may benefit from the discussion. None of the reference or suggestions offered are taxing of your skills or any budget.

I will not burden you further. If you'd like to ask or discuss points of accuracy, I'd be glad to join in.

#26 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Ahart

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

Well,........moving right along, I can't wait to see this one finished!

#27 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

The only agenda I have is to appreciate a well done Cobra by a talented builder. I have 1:1 experience that I enjoy sharing with people that might use it in scale. Those not wishing to take advantage of that are not obligated. Apparently, you're in that group.

Other forum members who may enjoy Cobra-building may benefit from the discussion. None of the reference or suggestions offered are taxing of your skills or any budget.

I will not burden you further. If you'd like to ask or discuss points of accuracy, I'd be glad to join in.

I would love to see all the Cobra reference you would care to post.  Might I suggest you posts your information under 1:1 Car Reference Photos  It would greatly help me and many others. I'm sorry but I am a bit too far along on this build to incorporate your information.

#28 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Might I suggest you posts your information under 1:1 Car Reference Photos  It would greatly help me and many others. I'm sorry but I am a bit too far along on this build to incorporate your information.

Well, I did point out that these points might apply to your future builds.

I have reams of not only photos but 3 decades of personal experience - much of what I added to your thread is description of how the parts appear and function, Also modeling parts and methods to accurately represent them. It's much easier to provide specific notes than just post Cobra pictures in 1:1 reference.

Should you desire any detailed input, just ask.

#29 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

Well, I did point out that these points might apply to your future builds.

I have reams of not only photos but 3 decades of personal experience - much of what I added to your thread is description of how the parts appear and function, Also modeling parts and methods to accurately represent them. It's much easier to provide specific notes than just post Cobra pictures in 1:1 reference.

Should you desire any detailed input, just ask.

Cato I do sincerely apologize, it just a bit frustrating receiving your posts in response to those of my completed assemblies.  If I had your information before hand I could then apply it to the best of my ability.  I would very much like to see you share your knowledge and information on 1:1 Car Reference Pictures.  You could start a Cobra listing and continue to add posts at your convenience of various sub assemblies.   You could also do listings like Basic Electrical Systems or Basic Fuel Systems.  I know a lot of modelers, myself included struggle with where do all the wires or hoses go and what do they do.  Again please accept my apologies and please keep following my build.

#30 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

I know a lot of modelers, myself included struggle with where do all the wires or hoses go and what do they do.  Again please accept my apologies and please keep following my build.

JC,

No need for apology. I understand the frustration of 'if only I'd known' building-did it plenty myself. :angry:

Will surely follow your project(s). Will consider the time involved and whether I can post material that would be helpful. But the Cobra audience here is small and not overly accuracy-crazy at that. I doubt anyone would pay attention. Besides, there are a few members with Cobra 'understanding'-not just me. But only one I know of with hands-on experience beside myself.

As I said before, the major failing is the basic kit offered by ALL the various mfgrs. Those models are like caricatures of Cobras with thicknesses, shapes and accuracy-not just shape-more like 'stand-off scale' airplanes.

A really good Cobra modeler must first correct those things and detail is actually secondary to getting the right 'feel' of these cars.

#31 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:03 AM

Just from today's news- here's plenty of pics and info to inspire your next build;

http://m.nydailynews...ticle-1.1583263

This illustrates just how finely shaped and almost delicate, the cars were and now still are. And the dull metallic sheen of the paint screams '1964'. Remember, this is a cut-back door , flaired version called 'FIA'-not the slabside street car from which it's based.

Enjoy.

#32 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

Just from today's news- here's plenty of pics and info to inspire your next build;

http://m.nydailynews...ticle-1.1583263

This illustrates just how finely shaped and almost delicate, the cars were and now still are. And the dull metallic sheen of the paint screams '1964'. Remember, this is a cut-back door , flaired version called 'FIA'-not the slabside street car from which it's based.

Enjoy.

The FIA cars are muscular sexy beast no doubt but I really like the early Cobras.  Have you checked out this site: http://csxinfo.net/web/

#33 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Yes-for many years. Great resource.

#34 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

I built CSX2142 as well if your interested. 

Edited by afx, 23 January 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#35 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

A beautiful build of a Brit car-they know how to vintage race them. I saw it at the time but did not realize you were the builder. Fine job.

You have a great eye for detail; the early flat-side hood latches, the LeMans lights, fuel filler-excellent representations. Plus you did a great hardtop.

What we need is a photoetch guy who can replicate the windshield frames in the correct thickness (and contour) and the hood scoop too. It shouldn't be hard for those familiar with the p/e methods. And somebody who knows that sidepipes on big blocks do NOT have 90 degreee bends at the body opening....

While we're at it, an 1/12 ACCURATE small and big block would be nice. ( I build 1/12).

#36 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:06 AM

A beautiful build of a Brit car-they know how to vintage race them. I saw it at the time but did not realize you were the builder. Fine job.
You have a great eye for detail; the early flat-side hood latches, the LeMans lights, fuel filler-excellent representations. Plus you did a great hardtop.
What we need is a photoetch guy who can replicate the windshield frames in the correct thickness (and contour) and the hood scoop too. It shouldn't be hard for those familiar with the p/e methods. And somebody who knows that sidepipes on big blocks do NOT have 90 degreee bends at the body opening....
While we're at it, an 1/12 ACCURATE small and big block would be nice. ( I build 1/12).

As long as we are wishing a 1/12 upscaling of MFH's 1/24 cobra would be great.

Joe.

#37 DonW

DonW

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Full Name:Donald Albert Wittridge

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

I still remember a red 289 with a hardtop at a race meeting at Silverstone in the 1960s. It was on the front row of the grid and spun through 180 degrees when the starting flag was dropped. Way beyond oversteer! That one had 4 twin choke Webers.

I like your model.

#38 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

I still remember a red 289 with a hardtop at a race meeting at Silverstone in the 1960s. It was on the front row of the grid and spun through 180 degrees when the starting flag was dropped. Way beyond oversteer! That one had 4 twin choke Webers.

I like your model.

Thanks Don.  From what I've read you steered these cars with your right foot just as much as the steering wheel.

#39 bigphoto

bigphoto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

Excellent build so far. I wish someone made those wheels and a scooped hood in 1/43 for all my Monogram kits.

#40 o-man

o-man

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • Full Name:Oscar White

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:13 AM

Well considering they have a wheelbase about the same as my CRX with 3.5 times the HP and 4 times the torque, I'd say they were hard to handle.  About 15 years ago I was fortunate to instruct a guy in a kit version with a very strong 427 side oiler.  You could feel the rear end squirrelling around under acceleration. Fun, but will never do that again with just a petty bar for protection.  Great model; I'm watching.