Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Paint Question? Can Someone Help

Hey guys, I'm am about to start my first resin kit. I have an AFX 87-93 notch. I have painted some hoods and used Testors primers and have had some horrible result. I REALLY WANT to use the Model Masters custom lacquer system,Bright Calypso. Can anyone recommend a good primer or some tips to a good paint job........Thanks in advance.

My plans for the notch are a Turbocharged, 351, 10.5 inch outlaw drag car......My camera usb wont work in my laptop(my pc took a crab about a month ago) After the holidays i am getting it fixed so i will post progress pics....

As others have said, make sure it is squeaky clean. After cleaning it, I usually wet sand it with 1000 grit. I use Plastikote T-235 primer for resin bodies (and everything else for that matter) with great results, especially if you are using lacquers.

HTH.

Thanks,

Duplicolor primer works well also..

The day before i posted this, I bought a dupilcolor grey primer. I went with grey to deepin the Bright Calypso...Hopefully it works out I want this project to come out awesome.

Edited by 82notch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have found that some resins continue to sweat out after you clean them and store them for a few weeks before you prime them. Being slightly lazy I have had a clean fest then put the resin away to use later. Bad move.

If the resin sits unprimed for a while, just get some Comet (or similar) powdered bathroom sink cleaner (WITH BLEACH) give the parts a good scrubbing with a tooth brush. It will remove the oils that sweat out with minimal work.