#1 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

I picked up two of Maisto's 1:27 scale 2010 Ford F-150 STX models not too long ago. One will stay as is (for now), and the other will be downgraded to the base model XL.

Here's how it looks stock, in what looks to be a pretty close match to the 2010 Blue Flame metallic paint...

MAISTO001_zps3ca059d9.jpg

The STX has buckets and a console, while the XL has a 40/20/40 bucket arrangement. I'll be cutting out the center console and replacing it with a smaller midship bucket. These seats are identical to the ones used in the XL, and will stay after some mold seam cleanup and paint.

MAISTO002_zps625d2954.jpg

I went with Oxford White- I did not strip the model, I just sanded the factory paint, applied primer, and sprayed the white over that. I also filled in the fog lights with two part body filler. You can order the XL with fog lights and a chrome front bumper, but I'm going with the no fog light, semigloss black bumpers and grille look.

MAISTO004_zps84901851.jpg

I had the proper wheels before I got the truck. For some reason Revell put these late model six-bolt Ford wheels in their Expedition SSV (police) kit- wrong for that vehicle, but just the thing for an '09-'14 F-150 XL! Though they're 1:25 and the truck is supposedly 1:27, they look just fine on the pickup. About that... I think this particular truck is much closer to scale than most Maisto diecasts. Many- mostly the long bed and extended cab trucks, look significantly underscale. This truck looks just fine with 1:25 and 1:24 scale truck models.

MAISTO005_zpsd000b981.jpg

Really hoping this project won't take too long to complete. :rolleyes:

#2 Nick W.

Nick W.

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas Wester Jr.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Ive looked at a couple of these fords! I really like them. Keep it up looks to be an awesome project.

#3 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

No choice but to keep it up now. :rolleyes:

Quick shot of how it looks now-

001_zps295604b6.jpg

Still need to paint the window trim and door handles. I also stripped off the factory orange paint on the headlight lenses, and redid the turn signals in Tamiya Clear Orange.

#4 hjracing

hjracing

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Full Name:Josť Antonio HernŠndez Medina

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Nice rebuild/conversion, I love those truck!

#5 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,820 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Very nice "downgrade."  B)

#6 Nick W.

Nick W.

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas Wester Jr.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Any Updates? I thought about doing the same thing eventually!

#7 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

No progress to report at the moment- I've spent a little time looking around in the spares pile for a seat I could use to make the middle "20" bucket, and have found nothing, so it looks like I'll have to make my own. I've already cut away the stock console.