#21 Kit-Builder

Kit-Builder

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Forsythe

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

I had read all the bad reviews and tried him anyway... emailed him and he had me call him instead of reading a much too long email about what I was looking for. Spoke to him on the phone - very straight forward to say the least - but not unpleasant. I got what I ordered in about a week - so got no complaints on product delivery.

There were one or two minor flaws in the casting, but Don mentioned these to me before I even paid for my parts - even offered a few quick suggestions on fixing them.

I can't speak for other people's problems or issues with the man or his company - but as for myself I had no problems and only felt it fair to give him his do on this one.

#22 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:53 AM

He does make some good stuff and I have dealt with him in the past. I've even had a beer with the guy! But, his business dealings leave quite a bit to be desired. He dealt with my late friend Skip Samples, who also did custom decal work for him, and thus treated us, at least Skip, with respect and urgency. For some time I would always sort of stick up for him when bad things about him and his business where posted. And why not, he had not done me wrong, and to be honest, still has not, but, I have not done business with him in a long time. 

Two things really pushed me to stop dealing with him and to stop trying to stick up for him. First, I did not like the way he asked me about our friend Skip's decals and files when Skip fell ill and eventually passed away. There is more to that, but, it is not for public consumption at this time. Second, my friend Kyle Allen ordered some items from him and he kept stalling and promising him to get his stuff delivered. He did not take care of it. I contacted Don on behalf of my friend Kyle  and Don assured me that he would take care of it and even throw in some extra stuff to make up  for it. It never arrived. That was over two years ago. 

So to you all I say this, Proceed at your own peril and Caveat Emptor!  

#23 Kit-Builder

Kit-Builder

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Forsythe

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I know I'm new here...

But, are we really talking about the same guy? As I had mentioned in my earlier post... I had read all the reviews and gave him a shot anyway - I needed a specific set of tires and his company was the only one holding what I needed. I told him what I was looking for and he even suggested the right size tires - unfortunately I want to go bigger.

Would like to see what I can find in rubber before going back and harass him again with another dozen stupid questions.

Anyway, before I get sidetracked - I just find it a little odd that someone who would take the time to spend 20 minutes on the phone with someone for a pitiful little $16 order would be the same guy getting all this bad press. I mean if your gonna hose someone - why not hose the little guy who won't fight over a lost $20 and keep the big dollar orders coming in?

But like I said before: since I'm new here I don't want to start off here by making any enemies... I just wanted to say my piece on what I thought and move on.

Edited by Kit-Builder, 26 July 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#24 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

I knew a resin caster that made some great parts, and as long as you were considered a friend, He would make what ever you needed.He burned quite a few people, and trashed his reputation.Mainly it was his Ego that got the better of him.

I know I'm new here...

But, are we really talking about the same guy? As I had mentioned in my earlier post... I had read all the reviews and gave him a shot anyway - I needed a specific set of tires and his company was the only one holding what I needed. I told him what I was looking for and he even suggested the right size tires - unfortunately I want to go bigger.

Would like to see what I can find in rubber before going back and harass him again with another dozen stupid questions.

Anyway, before I get sidetracked - I just find it a little odd that someone who would take the time to spend 20 minutes on the phone with someone for a pitiful little $16 order would be the same guy getting all this bad press. I mean if your gonna hose someone - why not hose the little guy who won't fight over a lost $20 and keep the big dollar orders coming in?

But like I said before: since I'm new here I don't want to start off here by making any enemies... I just wanted to say my piece on what I thought and move on.

Edited by my80malibu, 26 July 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#25 Alan

Alan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Full Name:Alan Bohack

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Great parts ??? Absolutely everything I rec'd from him was totally unusable garbage  .............  You should see the 66 Comet body I rec'd and put it back up on e-bay with a $1000.00 price so EVERYONE could see what junk he was producing!!

STAY AWAY!!!!  

Edited by Alan, 27 July 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#26 caine440

caine440

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Full Name:Roger

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

I was going to stay out of this but here is my 2 cents.

I buy from just about every vendor out there. Who ever has what I need that is where I go. I have bought lots of stuff off Don with never a problem.

He was one of the first resin casters I meet when I got back into the hobby around 6 or 7 years ago. Out of the blue he called me to just give advise on a build all those years ago and we still keep in touch even if my project is not using any of his product.

I have only been burned once by a vendor, that same vendor has his fans here that sware by him. He has lost me as a customer but still has others that like him.

I think some here have personal axe to grind while others have every right to be upset.

Me, I am getting ready to order 2 more bodies from Don to add to my collection.

#27 KevinMoparFord

KevinMoparFord

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Wallenhorst

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Don called me after my response and set things right with me.  He agreed to ship another hood and the front end pieces to Rich(crabman on the forum) in England.  I give him credit for finding my number well after a year after having last talking with him and calling me.  He told my he shipped Friday and it arrived today.  I hope he has turned things around.  He has always been nice to me on the phone and I think the fact that he reached out to me after a post is really big on his part.  I wish him the best and I will no longer post anything negative on this post in reagrds to this matter.

#28 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Time to lock this.

Reliable Resin has been discussed here many times before, always with the same results. Some people swear by him... some swear at him. Some have had great experiences, some have had terrible experiences. To keep rehashing this back and forth, over and over, is pointless. Obviously if you decide to deal with RR, you are taking a chance. You never know if you'll get the "good" RR or the "bad" RR.

Like someone said earlier... let the buyer beware.