#41 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew McVicar

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

I certainly think so, considering the talent it takes to create them. They were $7.50, 8 in a package.

#42 tbill

tbill

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Full Name:tom billings

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:35 AM

those look great, looks like I need to get some as well. thanks for posting those.

#43 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Daytona Yellow from Automotivetouchup.com. Three coats of color and three coats of clear. It needs a fair bit of polishing, but it came out pretty good. I will later add the black stripe decals and seal them with another coat of clear. I also did a bit of detailing on the chassis.

Attached Files

Edited by ImpalaBoy, 20 April 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#44 GMCMAN52

GMCMAN52

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Full Name:John Antczak

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

looking at your project makes me want to blow the dust off my kit and start building

#45 Jim3

Jim3

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Full Name:Jimmy Smith

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

Looks good , nice color choice...

#46 Mrdarkmonkey96

Mrdarkmonkey96

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Full Name:Anthony Iannone.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you took an 8th inch off the back. Is this just on the top and bottom rows that aren't open, or on the entire grill. If you know what I mean?

#47 tbill

tbill

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • Full Name:tom billings

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

looks great! this is going to be good inspiration when i start on mine, keep at it.

#48 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Thanks, everyone, I'm glad you all approve!

Mrdarkmonkey, the rest of the grill except for the top and bottom rows is open, but about an 8th inch needs to be taken off the whole thing to make it look more correct in scale.

Attached File  DSCN7299.JPG   77.61KB   11 downloads

Attached File  DSCN7301.JPG   65.05KB   3 downloads

Edited by ImpalaBoy, 21 April 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#49 Mrdarkmonkey96

Mrdarkmonkey96

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Full Name:Anthony Iannone.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Thanks, everyone, I'm glad you all approve!

Mrdarkmonkey, the rest of the grill except for the top and bottom rows is open, but about an 8th inch needs to be taken off the whole thing to make it look more correct in scale.
DSCN7299.JPG
DSCN7301.JPG

Thank you! That diagram is realyl helpful.

#50 MADDOG

MADDOG

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

I am also building this model.  I also choose almost the same color. LOL.

But I am in no way putting in the time and effort you are. Looks just awesome!

#51 superbike-shaun

superbike-shaun

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Full Name:shaun swesey

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

hey andrew, lookin good, i have an earlier (non foose) kit and letme tell ya! props to you!  i started by priming and tubbing the rear  and building the motor, (ill post pics if ya want ) anyway i really like that youve gotten as far as you have, its lookin graet, shaun.s

#52 MADDOG

MADDOG

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

Here is a quick pic if mine. Color is close to same. I can not wait to see how awesome yours comes out!

Attached Files

#53 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Here is a quick pic if mine. Color is close to same. I can not wait to see how awesome yours comes out!

Wow!! That looks fantastic! I can't wait to see how yours comes out, either! I almost chose a darker yellow like that; more like the shade used on the 2010 Camaro, but I changed my mind at the last second and decided to go with the original 1969 color. Kind of funny that we're both building yellow Camaros at the same time, since before now, I had never seen one of these done in yellow. Where did you get your paint, and what is the shade called?

Edited by ImpalaBoy, 25 April 2014 - 05:16 AM.

#54 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,989 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

Both of them are looking good.

#55 MADDOG

MADDOG

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

Wow!! That looks fantastic! I can't wait to see how yours comes out, either! I almost chose a darker yellow like that; more like the shade used on the 2010 Camaro, but I changed my mind at the last second and decided to go with the original 1969 color. Kind of funny that we're both building yellow Camaros at the same time, since before now, I had never seen one of these done in yellow. Where did you get your paint, and what is the shade called?

I do most of my purchases at Hobby Lobby now since its close to the house. Thats where I got the paint. The paint is Model Masters Pearl Yellow #2978.

I actually bought 2 of these Camaro kits from H.L. One to build like I am with the big motor and the horribly ugly Foose wheels and one nice and stock looking. You have inspired me to spend much more time and care on the next one I build. This one I got pretty excited and kind of rushed a bit. I will post a pic later for you .... I am a little further along now.

#56 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

I couldn't for the life of me get the decals to lay flat on the hood even with Micro Set and Micro Sol, so I'm thinking of a compromise. If I mask and paint the stripes on the front but use the decals on the back, after a couple coats of clear, do you out there think there will be any noticeable difference? I would think that since they have the expanse of the roof between them, even if there was a slight difference, it would be difficult to compare them anyway. I would greatly appreciate anybody's input.

#57 Hawk312

Hawk312

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Full Name:David Eicherly

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:19 AM

I couldn't for the life of me get the decals to lay flat on the hood even with Micro Set and Micro Sol, so I'm thinking of a compromise. If I mask and paint the stripes on the front but use the decals on the back, after a couple coats of clear, do you out there think there will be any noticeable difference? I would think that since they have the expanse of the roof between them, even if there was a slight difference, it would be difficult to compare them anyway. I would greatly appreciate anybody's input.

Not sure if it is too late, or if you can get your hands on another set of decals, but if you place the decal on the hood, before it sets you can try taking a very hot wet towel and use pressure on the decal for a few minutes. It should stretch and conform to the hood.

#58 jrherald420

jrherald420

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Full Name:James Herald

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hair dryer works great with some MicroSol and MicroSet.

#59 ImpalaBoy

ImpalaBoy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

I haven't made my decision about the rear stripes, but I was able to do the front in the meantime. The decals were a definite no-go, so I reluctantly masked off the stripes, praying that I would do a better job than last time. They're not completely perfect, but they're about as perfect as I could ever hope to get them! I used Tamiya TS-29 semi-gloss black because I've noticed that I tend to have better luck getting flat or matte colors to lay down smoother than gloss colors. Plus, it'll get probably another 2 coats of clear over it. I've heard good things about Rustoleum automotive lacquer clear coat, product #253366.

Attached Files

Edited by ImpalaBoy, 27 April 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#60 kobuzz

kobuzz

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Full Name:Scott

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Those stripes look killer!!