#1 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Full Name:jesse corbett

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Working on a 1/16 1980 vintage W900.  I seem to recall that more often than not that for power steering, KW used/offered an air assist power steering setup using a cylinder bolted to the frame and the drag link and manual steering box as opposed to the far more common power steering pump, steering box, and resevoir.  Am soarly mistaken?  Or am I getting this all mixed up with their Center Point steering? Anyone with pix and clarification of either/both setups would be greatly appreciated.  Also still needing firewall  pix of same. 

Thanks.

Edited by olsbooks, 31 January 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#2 dad vader

dad vader

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Full Name:richard

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I believe the cylinder you are speaking about was used on the old manual steering systems. It was just a steering damper for the manual steering system,to keep the wheel from being jerked out of your hand when you hit potholes. It was attached to the tierod tube and the frame rail/spring perch.

It did nothing to assist turning the steering wheel.

Edit,I just checked Google,cant find any images of old trucks with steering dampers on them,but a bunch of images of 4X4's equipped with them.... they serve the same purpose.

Edited by dad vader, 09 February 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#3 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

Thanks. Familiar with the dampers to reduce kickback. The air assist may have been aftermarket or was hydraulic but i surely do remember them being common if just for a few years. It was marketed as a steering assist package and was not unique to kw. It will come to me or some old tiimer here.
Shepard, ross, and trw were the big steering people for big rigs back then for all makes with trw getting in serios trouble with nhtsa on virtually every true power steering gearbox around this time. Largest recall in semi trucks ever and hurt everone bad.

#4 dad vader

dad vader

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Full Name:richard

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

I started working on trucks in 1982,spent a few years driving trucks after I got laid off from a wrenchng job. Been wrenching steady since 1988. Been working at dealerships/distributors since 1990,(InternationalFreightliner,Cummins,and,currentlly Volvo,and hope to stay here until I retire) ,I do remember an air assist system that was aftermarket,never had to work on it so not sure who made it. However I have worked on several master/slave hydraulic steering systems,those that have a master/slave gearboxes. Now adays I believe Ross and Sheppard are one company and TRW builds most of the Volvo boxes.

#5 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

To: Dad Vader,

Thank you "father" for validating your sons memory banks.  It knew it wasn't just a dream after all.

Luke.

#6 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

air assist had a valve that was fitted to the steering shaft after the cab.Hoses went from that to a ram.If you look at some Tyrone Malone  BOSS TRUCK of America photos you can see the ram

Edited by mistermodel, 13 February 2014 - 04:45 AM.

#7 olsbooks

olsbooks

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

THANKS MUCH!  FOUND IT.  And for those that are interested......  Sad fate of a once great truck......

Edited by olsbooks, 05 March 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#8 Old Buckaroo

Old Buckaroo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Full Name:Sean Davis

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

That is so depressing to see, such a grand truck in its time.  Look at the remnants of all the pin stripping on the frame.

I want to find that truck and put it in my back yard.

Edited by Old Buckaroo, 13 February 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#9 Mr mopar

Mr mopar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Spencer

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Yes it is sad to see that truck in that state but I herd that he is going to rebuild it someday.......... Yeha right.

Edited by Mr mopar, 13 February 2014 - 05:07 PM.