#1 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

I've got a black '57 Ford promo that I'm restoring for a friend. Someone detailed it in the past with silver paint on the side trim, and it had custom parts glued to it, so it needs bodywork and the white repainted. I've tried Purple Power and Easy-Off under the trunk lid, and both attack the acetate. What can be used to strip this car without damaging the black plastic?

P2050007_zps86916d91.jpg

-MJS

#2 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Mike...if I were you Id just try to polish off the paint you want to....never found anything one could strip these types with safely without harming/destroying the plastic. Some paints mess with them too.  Restoring promos is a huge passion of mine...very satisfying to see them come back to what they were or should be like.  I cant decide which I like better...restoring promos or old models???...guess Ill have to go with both. :)

#3 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have stripped a kit that was made in '59. But, nothing older. I used LA's Totally awesome in the half gallon jug. It's the concentrate. You might dilute it some with water and try it or just soak a rag with the full strength and see if you can rub the paint off. Is the black paint or bare acetate?

#4 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Mark. Roger, the black is the bare acetate, the white is painted.

-MJS