#41 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,209 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

Could be- I remember their Mustang Cobra R not being much to crow about compared to the Revel-o-gram (or even AMT/Ertl) kits of the same subject, and costing about twice as much. 'Then again, that last issue might have been what really killed their efforts with the North American subject matter... but that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

#42 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

Tamiya's kits of "American" cars (with the exception of the Mustang) weren't North American model vehicles either, they were the Euro Spec export versions, which is why they tended to be trimmed "incorrectly".

#43 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:36 AM

Tamiya recognized long ago that North American subjects weren't its strong suit, which, I am guessing, is why it has done so few of them and hasn't done any in, what, 15 years, at least?

Not questioning your comment, but I find it interesting that the Japanese love our "Rock and Roll / Hot Rod " culture. I.E. The Mooneyes company and many others.

#44 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

Working in a hobby shop I can tell you firsthand that most parents put the kit back on the shelf when told they need paint glue and other supplies. They don't really want to spend more than the 20 bucks for the kit.

and that is where the "prepainted"  kits come in.

#45 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

Oh, that Tamiya Mustang was terrible, a truly mutant exercise of proportional tease gone wrong.  It may have had other crucial elements of Tamiya appeal in the material quality of the kit, but the Cobra R in particular had a mashed greenhouse with way too much tumblehome, and the front end of both kits looked as if it were a different scale than the rear.  The Monogram SN95 had its own issues but it was tons better, and AMT had everybody beat on that one for overall proportions, even if the tire profiles were way too high.  It would take nearly 20 years before we saw another Mustang kit as botched as Tamiya's.

But what Tamiya has always delivered irrespective of proportion issues is a palpable sense of quality and presentation when you crack the lid, and this is why that company has its loyalists.  They still have an edge in tooling refinement and content arrangement, to this day over just about any other manufacturer in the world.  You have to go into the military field to find the closer competitors; they just don't seem to be there in automotive.

And what Tamiya taketh away under hood, they almost certainly giveth right back in engineering and parts fit.  There was a time I had to scramble a car for a photo shoot. The Tamiya kit which concentrated its 135 parts in interior detail rather than an engine just pulled right together in 3 days, as compared to a balky contemporary Revell kit with 90 parts including an engine.  The difference in engineering and the advantages that engineering held were stark.

Fujimi's heart is in 1/20 F1 right now, and perhaps that's why their 1/24 kits are so hit-and-miss.  We went from solid MX-5s and  Porsche Caymans into brilliant 250 GTOs and world-leading R35 GT-Rs only to wind up with that truly hideous Pantera kit a few short years later.  Haven't been very keen on their revival of interior tubs for so many of their kits, and their McLaren F1 road car would have been so much more - if it were made by Aoshima.

Japan's true up-and-comer, Aoshima, with kits of ever-escalating quality and great social media leverage to boot. Theirs are the proper GT86/BR-Z models, and their Lamborghini series has been on an upward pull since the Countach. Their McLaren F1 GTR looks to take their game out a whole new door, and one hopes they don't backslide from the new paradigm they've established.

Maybe the current market is different, but even accounting for the distinction between Revell's newly-announced glue series and the snappers, there's a definite whiff of "been there" - remember the pre-decorated Stock Cars and the '63 Impala from around 2000?  Those were also simplified glue-together intermediates to both pre-decorated snap kits and molded-in-white full-detail kits.  

But who knows, maybe they'll hit the sweet spot with further-simplified snappers and subject matter this time.

#46 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

Maybe the current market is different, but even accounting for the distinction between Revell's newly-announced glue series and the snappers, there's a definite whiff of "been there" - remember the pre-decorated Stock Cars and the '63 Impala from around 2000?  Those were also simplified glue-together intermediates to both pre-decorated snap kits and molded-in-white full-detail kits.  

Maybe the fact that these new kits are subjects which Revell doesn't (won't) offer in their "regular" SnapTite or glue kit lineup (like they did with the '63 Imp, PT Cruiser, New Beetle, etc.) will help, too.

IIRC Revell currently offers the original Monogram 1/32 scale '69 Camaro, '70 Mustang, etc. SnapTite kits on blister packs, and they have a sub-twenty piece parts count, so it'll be interesting to see how those do or don't factor into the new tiered approach.

#47 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

OK, so Revell is trying something old and something new.  We'll see how this plays out.  But be honest- how many of you haven't built any kind of snap kit just to do something different?  You know, just to get something built and on the shelves. Sometimes, building each model to be better than the previous model gets to be tedious.  Not every model must be contest-worthy.  Or, if you're so inclined, I've seen more than a few snap-kits turned into nice (and successful) curbside/slammer contest entries. 

#48 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

OK, so Revell is trying something old and something new.  We'll see how this plays out.  But be honest- how many of you haven't built any kind of snap kit just to do something different?  You know, just to get something built and on the shelves. Sometimes, building each model to be better than the previous model gets to be tedious.  Not every model must be contest-worthy.  Or, if you're so inclined, I've seen more than a few snap-kits turned into nice (and successful) curbside/slammer contest entries. 

Not me. But, I have, However built a bunch of "prepainted" kits.and "prepainted diecast" talk about a "slumpbuster" ;)

I have purchased a few "snaps" jut for parts. The Revell '34 Coupe comes to mind.

1.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 18 February 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#49 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

What, are you kiddin'? I do snappers ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I slap 'em together with a promise-to-self I'll eventually pull them back out 'n finish 'em proper. But you betcha I get a kick out of a well-done snapper, and frankly it's kinda dumb for anyone to feel shame over such a thing.

#50 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,608 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

Not me. But, I have, However built a bunch of "prepainted" kits.and "prepainted diecast" talk about a "slumpbuster" ;)

I have purchased a few "snaps" jut for parts. The Revell '34 Coupe comes to mind.

1.jpg

DSC00363-vi.jpg

MVC002F-vi.jpg

And what's wrong with snappers?  Here's two of mine, the top on being that '34 Ford kit box in Greg's post I've quoted. They were both fun builds that weren't done to earn trophies, just some fun and relaxing time at the bench.  And both look good on my shelf.

I'll take any subject that we don't have a full detail kit of in promo, snapper or diecast form.  At least it's something we can work with in our favorite scale...

#51 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

If it wasn't for the Revell Snap-Fast kits, my display case would be pretty empty!  :D

I have had a Revell 69 Camaro full detail glue kit waiting to be finished for over 15 years now, but have finished 7 of the same car in the snap line in the last 3 years! It's that final assembly and modelers ADD kicking in! A quick spray bomb paint job, some detail painting and maybe a wheel swap and I am done!

Any attempts to bring new blood into this hobby have to be viewed as a good thing. 

Let's face it, if Revell DIDN'T attempt to attract new modelers, we'd be complaining about that! :lol:

#52 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I'll be interested to see if the pre-painted kits are somehow de-contented existing glue kits with some tweaked parts, or clean sheets using some of the existing patterns/tooling.  The '13 Challenger SRT isn't that far removed from the existing '09.  The ZL1 Camaro would require more work if they wanted to correctly represent the engine on the top side as well as obvious changes to the body, but it's not that far away from being workable from the existing '10 SS kit.

Then that begs the obvious question of re-contenting the pre-painted kits to release them as full "in-white" glue kits if they're modified versions of the existing glue kits.

#53 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Not questioning your comment, but I find it interesting that the Japanese love our "Rock and Roll / Hot Rod " culture. I.E. The Mooneyes company and many others.

It would be interesting to see them do a hot rod kit just to see their take on it.

#54 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

I think you guys are misinterpreting my comment. I'm welcoming these guys as a cheaper way to get kids into the hobby that is better than standard snaps.

#55 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

But the problem is, kids that fall into the tween and early teen age groups generally turn up their noses at snap kits because they view them as "baby stuff." At the same time, those kids lack the skills and experience to achieve good results with full-detail glue kits .. hence the need for a series of "bridge" kits, which Revell has obviously recognized.

Now that's an observation with which I certainly concur!

Revell's efforts to bridge the gaps may pay off big time for them, and for the hobby in general.  And if so, that can't be a bad thing. 

#56 Mustang fan

Mustang fan

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

Kids like to build (is Lego dying?), it's a fact the market is there.

But 30 year old kits are a thing of the past, the part fit and model appearance leave a lot to be desired, unless you are an experienced builder.

Even the recent kit releases from Revell or AMT are targeted at the same customer base.

Revell realises they need to move forward and design a new scale modeling product approach, to appeal to a broader audience. AT LAST!

I am impressed that I can still buy kits the same way I could in the 70s; however, I would like to see some news in this hobby (what about multimedia kits, or simply adding parts packs, even adding lights and sound, like for the HO train market...)

Frankly, no-one would miss the bare vinyl tires with incorrect dimensions, heavy chrome parts with impossible-to-remove mold lines, thick looking and inset glass, molded-in wipers and door handles, etc...

#57 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

It would be interesting to see them do a hot rod kit just to see their take on it.

are you ready ? bosozoku-exhaust-of-the-week-sid-1.jpgk-medium.jpg

#58 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

Ooooor if you want the REAL idea of the American Hot Rod/Muscle Car scene in Japan without the bewildering side of xenophobia...

Attached File  IMG_1582.jpg   125.35KB   3 downloads

http://www.bordersku...te/Welcome.html

or

http://www.thetrutha...hacky-pictures/

#59 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,608 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

With all the armchair quarterbacking in this thread about what Revell 'coulda done, shoulda done'  the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the B word... BUDGET.  It's easy to post pie in the sky here, but it all comes down to what is feasible with resources and funds at any given time.

Past attempts at selling to kids may have been poor, but all that could be accomplished at the time.  I remember the Revell snap series that included the Ramblur,  were reissued with cartoon characters such as Charlie Brown on the prefinished bodies.  I don't believe it worked because the vehicle subjects just didn't appeal to kids. 

Prior to the purchase of Revell by Hobbico, they didn't have any product development funds to do things they may have wanted to do.  Hobbico understands the market and has funded a lot of kits that we all enjoy. Now the parent company is funding an attempt at an easy kit series, with the contempory subject matter that kids would be attracted to.   Let's see how they do!

#60 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

I see a lot of those "future builders" going  RC or back to video games if revell doesnt modernize their future lineup.