#41 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Chapman

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Well I am going to give it a try went to Hobby Lobby today all the 2 oz craft paints were 30% off  I bought 6 bottles and a bottle of satin clear had the 40% coupon for that I spent a total of 7 bucks, stopped at Dollar Tree before I got home picked up some wipes, mop and shine and a gallon of washer fluid 3 bucks  grand total 10 bucks got enough paint to paint a whole fleet!  :lol:  I'll let you guys know how it works!!   ;) 

Please do post us on your results. I like to hear how it works for people. Also if you happen to have any problems or questions please let me know. Good luck and have fun.

#42 rust-n-dust

rust-n-dust

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Lee

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:50 PM

Can youm use the gloss acrylic paints as well?

#43 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

Can youm use the gloss acrylic paints as well?

Yes Dave, gloss acrylics are usable. One thing to remember is gloss has a clear liquid that allows it to be glossy. This makes it ripply or wavy. Not able to see it by eye but the paint reflects better if it is smooth. This is why people that use enamel and lacquer base paints have to wet sand in between coats and after clear coat to get a smooth finish. Flat non gloss colors lay down smoother as there is no liquid gloss agent in the paint.  When you put on you clear coat the smoother it is the better the shine. Using flat prevents you from having to do any sanding and it will only be as glossy and shiny as the clear coat. polish and wax is on top. Just an fyi. but you are able to use any type of acrylic the same way. Thanks for watching.

#44 paul44224

paul44224

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Hudspath

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:17 AM

Chris, that was a great video how-to! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share! Going to give this a try later this week! 

Paul

#45 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:14 AM

Chris, that was a great video how-to! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share! Going to give this a try later this week! 

Paul

You got it Paul. If you get a chance I have more how too's and more to come on my channel. 

#46 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,713 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

Wow!

#47 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Wow!

Thanks.

#48 HOLMES55

HOLMES55

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Holmes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

Chris

What type of primer do you recommend under the acrylic paint ??

#49 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Holmes55, I do not use primer wit my acrylic or enamel paint. I just prep the body as smooth as possibal. I then spray right on the plastic.

#50 HOLMES55

HOLMES55

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Holmes

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thanks Chris

Another good reason to use acrylics, you save on paint costs and primer cost. And one less step in the painting process.

#51 Ford guy

Ford guy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Full Name:Roy Snyder

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Awesome tips!  Thank you Chris

#52 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Your welcome Roy Snyder (Ford Guy)

#53 pharr7226

pharr7226

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

Chris,

I experimented with Anita's Yellow and a Copper color from another manufacturer.  It took a little practice with the speed and distance, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  I sprayed the copper second and it laid down perfectly.  I suspect that I had more success with the copper because I had already practiced with the yellow.  In any event,  I was also surprised with the coverage.  I painted cut foam board pictures.  I sprayed the side with the images to gauge the coverage.  I achieved good coverage, even with the yellow.  I plan to experiment with some clears, including Future, this weekend.  I've heard of a few builders using Future as a barrier coat to more aggressive paints.  I might give the barrier coat a try, primarily to see what happens.  Thanks for posting your tips.

Rick

#54 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

You got it Rick. Glad it's working for you.

#55 DPNM

DPNM

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Sulli van

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Chris,

I am glad you posted this. I have been a Dupli-Color guy since I started modeling. I have a couple non-model related things I want to spray and it always seems too humid when I do have the chance to paint (I have to spray outdoors). Being water-based this material should not be affected by humidity (plus I got an old hairdryer from my ex-girlfriend). I'm going to wait til you post the clear video before I attempt this.

Since I had to go to W/M today anyway I went down the craft aisle. I got the flat Apple Barrel acrylics you use for 50 cents a bottle. I spent a whopping $6.00 on 12 different colors. I already have Future and windshield washer fluid.

Thanks again and I can't wait for the clear video. I want to give this a try. It may well change the way I paint.

#56 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Chris,

I am glad you posted this. I have been a Dupli-Color guy since I started modeling. I have a couple non-model related things I want to spray and it always seems too humid when I do have the chance to paint (I have to spray outdoors). Being water-based this material should not be affected by humidity (plus I got an old hairdryer from my ex-girlfriend). I'm going to wait til you post the clear video before I attempt this.

Since I had to go to W/M today anyway I went down the craft aisle. I got the flat Apple Barrel acrylics you use for 50 cents a bottle. I spent a whopping $6.00 on 12 different colors. I already have Future and windshield washer fluid.

Thanks again and I can't wait for the clear video. I want to give this a try. It may well change the way I paint.

Here is the Clear coat with future video. I also have many more how I do it vids up on my channel. If you get a chance take a look at my Tutorials section.

#57 DPNM

DPNM

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

Thanks Chris, I was looking for and found your tutorial on spraying the clear coat. One question (for now :D ), what needle/nozzle/tip size do you spray with?

#58 cchapman195

cchapman195

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

Thanks Chris, I was looking for and found your tutorial on spraying the clear coat. One question (for now :D ), what needle/nozzle/tip size do you spray with?

I use a number three medium on an Iwata HP-C

#59 DPNM

DPNM

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Again, thank you sir! I think I should have enough info to give this a try. I'm going to set up my airbrush and compressor to your specs. More'nlikely  I won't get to it til,at least, next weekend. I will let you know how things turn out.

I appreciate your input.