21 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

I don't know much about this kit, but you can "Build it TWO of FOUR ways."  :huh: It looks like the Lincoln V8 and Latham supercharger parts are the same as those found in the Double T kit released a few years ago, but I'm not sure if they all share tooling or not. Either way, this kit's due out on early summer 2014

product.jpg

#2 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

Casey looks like a lot of the parts are from the Double T kit I built as a kid

#3 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,672 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

I would have to assume the "two of four ways" would imply it's still a double kit, like its predecessors, having the stock chassis, fenders and hard plastic stock wheels/tires, as well as the zeed hot-rod chassis and bits, and an optional body. Enough stuff to build two complete models.

#4 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,249 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

Yep... there goes more of my hobby cash... :D

I can see myself building one of these as a stock-ish depot hack.

#5 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

Basically the Tall T double kit (since it has the Tera-Thrust wheels and button-tuft roadster interior) with a different body.  I believe it has never been reissued (or maybe only reissued once?)

#6 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

I have just about all the original 25 t's but i am missing ths one. Nice to see this one come back and will most likely buy several. Will have to compare it to my original t'sand see what is shared. I'm sure most of it was the same with exception to the body and coresponding pieces or custom parts for a specific version. Guess I need to find an original one now!

#7 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

I will go after this kit fastest fruit delivery on wheels

#8 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

It's pretty much like the second version of the double T kit, with the C-cab and related parts replacing the "tall T" stock height coupe body.  The fruit stand is a one piece deal that fits into the pickup bed.  Hopefully Round 2 will include decals for the "fruit" areas of the insert.  There was another variation of the C-cab: a paddy wagon.  For that one, you got solid side panels and a rear door section (non-opening doors) instead of the fruit wagon details.  I'm not sure which was released first, but both were only released once.  As tough as the fruit wagon was to find prior to the reissue, the paddy wagon was always the rarer of the two.  These were the last issues of the T prior to the Round 2 era that had enough parts to build two complete cars.  The seventies Street Rods series coupe and AMT/Ertl reissue roadster included two chassis but only one body.      

#9 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

So is this kit the kind whereyou build one stock and one custom or can you build two rods out of it?

#10 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Never seen this kit...looking at the box art in the first post, I guess it was issued in the late 60s maybe early 70s? 

#11 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Full Name:Francis Xavier Tiewski 3rd

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the review. This was overdue for a reissue. 

#12 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

So is this kit the kind whereyou build one stock and one custom or can you build two rods out of it?

Never seen this kit...looking at the box art in the first post, I guess it was issued in the late 60s maybe early 70s? 

One stock T, one fenderless, Lincoln-powered rod.  Pretty sure the Fruitwagon was first issued in 1969, probably still available in '70; I had one in that time frame...

#13 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Was the paddy wagon the same as the Budweiser and Bell Telephone C cab delvery trucks?

No...those are based on the AMT '23 roadster, another kit that was only issued once, around 1976.  The '23 could be built stock or as a full-fendered rod with a small-block Chevy engine.  Some of the rod parts (engine, suspension, wheels) were shared with yet another one-issue AMT kit...the '34 Ford three-window coupe, quite possibly the worst kit ever made by AMT.  The depot hack and delivery van shared a lot of parts with the '23 roadster.  Neither of those ever included a rod version, but if I remember right the instructions in the (again!) lone issue of the Depot Hack suggested that the chassis bits from the '23 roadster could be used.  I've questioned the logic of AMT doing that '23 roadster back then...built stock, it doesn't look all that different from the '25.  They could have done a touring car instead, and had something really different...   

#14 RatRod

RatRod

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Full Name:John Bissinger

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Here's the box art for the "T" Paddy wagon version, it's kinda like the chopped T/ Tall T shared most parts, this kit followed the Fruit Wagon with the already mentioned solid side panels, and rear door. The T Paddy wagon was AMT's answer to Monogram, and MPC Paddy Wagon kits of the time.

tpaddy_wagon_big_zps81835e95.jpg

#15 Aaronw

Aaronw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

One less kit I have to watch for on ebay, already have plans for it too.

Yep, it'll be green.

Dodgepreventiontruck_zps70bdf2cc.jpg

#16 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

The Depot Hack and C-Cab delivery were completely different tooling from the 70s. There are certainly similarities but even the wheels were different. The fenders had HUGE raised edges for the beading where the original Trophy double kit had very petite beading. The Trophy kit was much better in all respects.

#17 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

...if I remember right the instructions in the (again!) lone issue of the Depot Hack suggested that the chassis bits from the '23 roadster could be used."  

Correctamundo, Mark....this was one of those examples of the guys at AMT who "got it" prevailing over a management team then that didn't always "get it"!.   TIM  

#18 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

I'd like to see that Depot Hack get re-issued.

In the meantime...I'll definitely take one of these. I always wanted to build a peddler's truck, just never trusted my scractchbuilding skills enough to do it.

Charlie Larkin

#19 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, this one will be on my list.

#20 hpiguy

hpiguy