#41 misterNNL

misterNNL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Woodruff

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:08 AM

In answer to the question about the Ford name not being on these any where,it really is a licenseing issue at this point.
To answer (in my humble opinion)the question about do any of us actually build the kits we buy,most kits are raw material.Unless you are either a kit collector or a box stock only builder most kits are intended as raw material to be built as the builder sees fit.If they were not kit would only include parts for dead stock showroom versions.
That question reminds me of a button I have that states"anyone can collect old kits,but it takes a real man to cut one up".Depends on your personal preference and point of view.

Edited by misterNNL, 11 March 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#42 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

I hope ICM do realise that releasing their 1/35 Packard V12 in 1/24 would make them seriously rich.

That would be most awesome. There have been no Packard V-12 kits at all in 1/24-25.

#43 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

Same thing for FoMoCo.  They'll be watching how the kit is represented. 

I'd be willing to bet that if somebody did a model kit of the Essex Terraplane, Chryco would never know what that was!  (Terraplane was originally a model in Hudson's Essex line).

Art

#44 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

Don't know about the rest of you guys, but the first thing crossed my mind when I saw that blue one was.............

:P

Joe, the song you linked to from YouTube is not one of Jan and Dean's better efforts. Never heard this one before. And if I never it again that will be OK. At the same time I'm glad you posted it.

R. Scott

#45 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

>Joe, the song you linked to from YouTube is not one of Jan and Dean's better efforts. Never heard this one before.

It was one of their biggest (and they only had a few) hits as I recall. all over the radio in probably like 63 or so.

but I have a separate question, and that is, what exactly is the attraction here, with the Model T kits I mean? is this something that is not otherwise available, like maybe pure stock or a special body variation? Or is it more to see if maybe it will be more accurate than what is available (from AMT at least)?

hopefully they will pull through this latest business over there and be able to stay in production with worldwide distribution because I myself would like to examine one of these kits though I haven't a clue what I would do with it.

thanks!

jb

#46 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

but I have a separate question, and that is, what exactly is the attraction here, with the Model T kits I mean? is this something that is not otherwise available, like maybe pure stock or a special body variation? Or is it more to see if maybe it will be more accurate than what is available (from AMT at least)?

The AMT kits are much later T's, nothing like these have ever been kitted in 1/24 scale

#47 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

The AMT kits are much later T's, nothing like these have ever been kitted in 1/24 scale

To fill it out more completely:

In 1/25 scale, there have been only a handful of Model T Ford kits:

Tonka Toys produced a line of "Diorama" kits, two of which were keyed around a 1913 Model T Ford touring car, which was curbside only.  That car is the only "Brass Era" stock Model T ever done in 1/25 scale to this point in time, and they are pretty hard to find anymore.

Aurora produced a 1922 Model T kit, decades ago, never reissued by anyone since the early 1960's.

AMT did a pair of 1923 Model T's in the mid-70's, a Depot Hack (woodie station wagon in other words), and a C-cab 1/2 ton delivery van.  And of course, AMT produced the legendary 1925 Double T Kit, which has been reissued many times, both as a double kit, and as singer version kits as well.  AMT also produced a 1927 Model T Touriing, which keeps coming back into production.

Art

#48 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

thanks Art, see I thought by "later", craig meant like 27 vs 23 or so. now I see this is way earlier, 1912, though I do not know my model Ts well enough to know the differences. but if there are body variations then I could see this being a very welcome addition to the model world and probably adapted to a wide range of uses from stock to dragster. and I can see some drastic variations (with the roadster I mean), like, pretty obviously, where is the cowl???

jb

Edited by jbwelda, 27 March 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#49 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

(with the roadster I mean), like, pretty obviously, where is the cowl???

With the front doors on the touring! :lol: Those didn't come until later models

#50 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

thanks Art, see I thought by "later", craig meant like 27 vs 23 or so. now I see this is way earlier, 1912, though I do not know my model Ts well enough to know the differences. but if there are body variations then I could see this being a very welcome addition to the model world and probably adapted to a wide range of uses from stock to dragster. and I can see some drastic variations (with the roadster I mean), like, pretty obviously, where is the cowl???

jb

The earliest Model T's, along with most early cars, really didn't have any cowling, just a wooden "firewall" (more correctly referred to by it's horse-drawn carriage name "Dash Board" (which was there to keep mud and horse manure from being "dashed" up into the lap of the driver and his passenger!).  It wasn't until 1914-15 that the Model T Ford got a formed, sheet metal cowling between that "dashboard" and a still-wooden firewall benind the engine.

Art

#51 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

266124-10244-33.jpg?nr=24001&company=icm

the more I look at that picture the more stuff I see. for instance whats with that windshield? I don't think I have ever seen anything like that what with the lower section being angled up to the vertical upper section! maybe that's all because of the lack of cowl? and it looks to be fixed in place or maybe the top section folds down onto the lower section?  be interesting to see whether the mold incorporates all those details or if it will just be simplified.

jb

#52 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think that is an artist error because the ones I have seen in the museum the glass is two pieces but absolutely vertical and non moveable that I know of

#53 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

I think that is an artist error because the ones I have seen in the museum the glass is two pieces but absolutely vertical and non moveable that I know of

You have seen newer cars, the early cars were just the ones pictured above. The vertical windshield came in with the metal cowl.  And even the newer cars had hinged glass.

#54 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:14 AM

8D27E7C2-AA5D-4620-8733-E6A24FA1F9D2_zps

#55 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,284 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:44 AM

Great picture, Erik.  Looks to me like ICM nailed it!   {Other than the acetylene tank being a little too far rearward on the box art.}

#56 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:22 AM

No I have a picture of the plaque it is sitting next to and it was a 1912 roadster but like I said it was vertical and appeared to be stationary

#57 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

A lot of T's today are built from a collection of parts and carry the year of the the chassis or engine block, and are far than correct.

#58 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

Ok good to know

#59 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

266124-10244-33.jpg?nr=24001&company=icm

the more I look at that picture the more stuff I see. for instance whats with that windshield? I don't think I have ever seen anything like that what with the lower section being angled up to the vertical upper section! maybe that's all because of the lack of cowl? and it looks to be fixed in place or maybe the top section folds down onto the lower section?  be interesting to see whether the mold incorporates all those details or if it will just be simplified.

jb

Most automobiles of this era had folding windshields--the upper part being hinged at the frame, so as to be folded forward, down on top of the lower pane.   There are lots of contemporary pictures of open cars (and the VAST majority of automobiles prior to the advent of inexpensive closed body styles were open bodies) showing this.

Art

#60 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'm not altogether sure whether the Prestolite system for acetylene headlights was a factory option, or whether it was something installed by a dealer--the former would seem to indicate some sort of standard placement of the acetylene generator (which is what that vertical tank is), but if dealer-installed, then the mounting spot for the generator would be "dealer's choice".

Of course too, consider that more than likely these two kits share a lot of common parts, the largest being the fender/running board unit.  In that case, the more rearward positioning of the Prestolite generator would have been dictated by where it was placed on the touring car (note that the touring car has no doors for the front seat passenger, while the roadster has a fully enclosed left body side, the only functioning door being on the right, or passenger side.

Art