#21 FLD120

FLD120

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Rinehimer.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

Yes for sure! truck looks great for a first build! I started using bare metal foil just a couple of builds ago and I agree with everyone that has mentioned it, the stuff really makes a great job on detail. Everything from door hinges to tank straps. I get mine from Amazon since the local Hobby Town has an issue with ordering it. If you want to find more model trucks check Amazon and Spalding trading and shipping. Sounds like your in the sticks and I've found out that I have more choices ordering online verse going to the store.

Good luck on your future builds!  :D

#22 Petetrucker07

Petetrucker07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Full Name:Clayton Scheiber

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hey guys, this is my first build ever. I got it for Christmas from my brother, and I thought I was never going to finish it! Well I finished it about a month ago and I think it turned out so-so. The paint came out better than expected (testors one coat lacquer) it only has one run, and it is on a front fender. However there is no detail paint, a poor interior and no bmf. I only used one of the gaudy decals, that is on the back of the truck. Also the windshield is missing due to overspray because I forgot it was on there. Also, how do you truck guys afford to build trucks??? I understand this one is like 20 bucks, but I really love the KW Wrecker kit but I can't drop the coin. Seriously $70+ for a model, that is insane. I think I'll just stick to cars and pickups :-( . Finally, can you guys give me some pointers on my work? I don't care if you say it is bad, just tell me what I can do better.

HhO7dyv.pngTDoJiTI.pngEH98tbX.png

#23 Petetrucker07

Petetrucker07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

I hear ya on the prices, truck kits can get spendy, id love to build the bill signs pete or the can-do wrecker but since they are discontinued, they are worth a lot of money. i was lucky enough to have had the new 359 wrecker gifted to me, but an up coming project truck is gonna set me back about 300 on kits and parts alone, i definitely do it for the enjoyment and pride looking at the finished results, especially when it comes out just how you wanted

#24 Petetrucker07

Petetrucker07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Heres a few tips that help me, i know its over said but with trucks, take your time, it can get really aggravating, i just push it a side or pick my stuff up and put it away for a bit. The moebius kits are that way for me, the instructions can be confusing and hard to read. I use a really reasonably priced set of brushes i got from micheals, around 10 bucks for the set 8 brushes, i wouldnt use the testors brushes unless thats all you can get, they are too course and stiff. When using rattle cans, i know its hard, i still struggle with it, light coats, i know your gonna want to see color NOW, but thats how runs and wrinkling happen. If you can, id think about getting an airbrush, micheals has a beginner set up, bottles, hose and gun with the coupon its worth the investment, the compressor its what costs the most, but ebay can help. Detail work, sand the pieces, get the tree and excess mold off the part, sand and putty the pieces that are built in halves, motors and trannies, seats, that sort of thing, that helps to achieve the realistic look. Heres a big 1, build for yourself, build it how you want, you wont enjoy it if you dont do that. I built a 56 chevy, bought thst kit and a newer corvette kit, my wife was not happy i bought a kit just for parts, but the end result was winning best of show at its 1st show. I know this hobby can cost a lot of money but its kinda like golf, its most aggravating yet most relaxing time youll have, if you need any help, advice, whatever, dont be afraid to ask, this forum is a very good thing, im glad i joined it.

Attached Files

Edited by Petetrucker07, 08 May 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#25 REDNECK7109

REDNECK7109

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Adams

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

Man you definitely did a good job especially for a first attempt. If you didn't say it was your first attempt I would've thought you've been others. You did good! ... I know those tires are a pain. The one that came in my kit were so bad I had to do alot of modification to it. I started building models when I was 12 and stopped a couple years later took about a 10 year break and then got into head over heels. Like all these other guys say just keep watching this forum you'll learn alot and whatever your trying to figure out if you can't find it start a topic . I also agree with the Sharpie markers and masking tape. Those are the two things I also have with me when I grab a model. The way best way to learn is just do try it man.... when I was learning how to cut door open and make paint better I went to my local flea market and bought some half started kits and ones that were missing parts and I got them for 2 or 3 dollars. It was perfect so I just played mad professor with that lol. .... theres alot of good tips I could give you I can talk about models all day lol but overall man you did a great job! Two thumbs up. I may not be the best builder on here but If you need help with anything at all just shoot me a PM (message ) . Good luck and God bless

#26 REDNECK7109

REDNECK7109

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Adams

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:11 AM

Heres a few tips that help me, i know its over said but with trucks, take your time, it can get really aggravating, i just push it a side or pick my stuff up and put it away for a bit.   Heres a big 1, build for yourself, build it how you want, you wont enjoy it if you dont do that..

I couldn't agree more dude.... there will be will be times where you'll think "if this was real life this wouldn't look right" but just remember it's a model answer it's your imagination when you build a model it's your world