#41 ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Brame

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

This used to be a good idea I came up with: I needed a lot of scale broken glass for a junkyard diorama, and I hit on the idea of used flashcube bulbs. They were very thin glass with a plastic coating; all I had to do was crush them with pliers until the glass crumbled, then cut off the top of the bulb and sprinkle the glass where I wanted it.

It worked well 35 years ago, but who knows where you'd find used flashcubes now... :huh:

#42 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

…... who knows where you'd find used flashcubes now... :huh:

Flashcubes….. wow, there's a word I haven't seen, said, or thought about in 25 yrs. Very cool tip, but flashcubes……  :blink: 

#43 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

It worked well 35 years ago, but who knows where you'd find used flashcubes now... :huh:

IMG_3889-vi.jpg

Flash cubes?  Weren't they used with that stuff they used to call FLIM or something like that?

#44 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

This used to be a good idea I came up with: I needed a lot of scale broken glass for a junkyard diorama, and I hit on the idea of used flashcube bulbs. They were very thin glass with a plastic coating; all I had to do was crush them with pliers until the glass crumbled, then cut off the top of the bulb and sprinkle the glass where I wanted it.

Not exactly "household" items, but you can use the very thin glass "cover slips" used to cover sliced specimens on microscope slides!

Art

#45 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kendall

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

Excellent tips. I'll add mine. Foil from a discarded "BOX" pack of cigarettes can be glued to the underside of a car, to replicate heat shields, by exhaust components.

That foil is also good to glue behind taillights to give them that prismatic look.
I recently bent up one of those jumbo paper clips to make the rear sway bar in my 66 El Camino. I have bought some cheap computer speakers from a thrift store and used my cut off wheel in the dremel to cut the metal screen off and use it as a grille on a Mustang.

Later-

#46 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

Well they come with the kits but you can make your own soda or pop bottles from the clear or other plastic parts trees left over from builds for free.  Take them and carefully heat and gently pull to desired shape...blow on them till cool...cut to the shape you want and done....I have one or two of the ones I made in my 64 Chevy junkyard pickup build under my profile here in my photobucket photos.  A lack of any real budget to work with makes one learn to be very creative.

#47 vypurr59

vypurr59

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Shorter

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

My wife purchased these crackers for snacks. I found that the little plastic spreader is great for scratch-building and for mixing epoxies, resins and other things.

IMG_3544_zps24c83a07.jpg

It measures 2 1/8" x 3/8" x 1/16"

IMG_3546_zps92a27def.jpg

#48 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,491 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Cool Mark-

I used to save the covers for restaurant butter patties because they had a neat honeycomb pattern on them. Too small for seats but I used them for vents and such.

But here's my tip... old business cards... I have a box of an old card of mine that has a nice soft pattern on them....

MVC001F-vi.jpgMVC003F-vi.jpg

Great tip Tom..

#49 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,256 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

Flashcubes….. wow, there's a word I haven't seen, said, or thought about in 25 yrs. Very cool tip, but flashcubes……  :blink: 

No kidding!

#50 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,491 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

I wonder if they could be found on ebay.

#51 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

DSC00096-vi.jpg

Okay, household item tip.  My wife uses these Swiffer mop pads extensively.  They come in a plastic box with a clear lid.  Since she's using them anyway, the boxes are free to me.

IMG_3013-vi.jpg

They come in two heights. I believe the lower box comes with 15 pads in it and the taller one 25... or something like that. They are perfect for modelers. The taller box can hold a project, while the shorter one is great for parts collections. Here's some of my parts boxes.

DSC00238-vi.jpg

Here's my bench at my old house. Notice that I keep all my unfinished projects on the shelves above the bench so they stay in my mind. Many of these have gone into these project boxes since they stack nicely and have a clear top. 

Edited by Tom Geiger, 05 April 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#52 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

I use wire from twist ties that come in boxes of trash bags for fuel and brake lines.

Here's a fuel line made from that wire.

Starliner004a.jpg

David G.

#53 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Once a lighter is all. Used up I pull it apart and inside is perfect lil tube you can drill out the end and use it for exhaust tips or injector stacks

#54 Yo Jutt

Yo Jutt

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:Justin David Schurman

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hi guys! I like to use hockey stick tape for seat belts. It comes in different colours and can be painted as well.

#55 StevenGuthmiller

StevenGuthmiller

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Wade Guthmiller

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

Cut up soda or beer cans can be used for all sorts of things. I use pieces for small brackets & things like wire looms & battery cable ends. It's just sheet aluminum so the sky's the limit. I used it for the brackets for the heater hose & carburetor return spring as well as radiator hose clamps on this '60 Buick engine.                        Steve

#56 webestang

webestang

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Garascia

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:55 AM

Not household but restaurant.....I used a creamer container from Cracker Barrel for a scale trash can.......

37PUtcan_zpsb964bd01.jpg

donedio37fordpu5_zps71e4b6bc.jpg

#57 MeatMan

MeatMan

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:10 PM

Great ideas guys.  I recently came across one of those foil food pans.  The thickness looks just right for a wide range of uses including race car interior tin.  I haven't used it yet but I couldn't pass it up as it was free!

#58 Krazy Rick

Krazy Rick

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Grant

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:17 AM

Vaccuformed pill packaging works like a charm for porthole windows on van, truck & trike models - like I've used here, on my "Trike-a-delic"  ..... if you look at all the different sized vaccuform packaging, ( and shapes ) - you'll see many uses, headlight covers, etc. 

Attached Files

#59 John Pol

John Pol

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Full Name:John Pol

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:48 AM

Good to see you on here Rick the trick looks great

#60 bobthehobbyguy

bobthehobbyguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Taber

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:00 AM

Great ideas. Ingenuity is a big part of model building.