#1 Tuffy's Garage

Tuffy's Garage

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie Kroll

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:43 AM

I got a few but have never done one before. Which kit would be the most user friendly for me. I have the Revell 430, 612 and 360. Also have the Fujimi 550 and the Tamiya 360 Spider. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Charlie

#2 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:08 AM

Of all of those, the Tamiya 360 Spider is the class of the field. Don't let it's full-detail scare you off, it's a beautifully engineered kit that practically falls together, including the engine and suspension/chassis. Far less cleanup work on the body and ancillary parts vs. Revell's 360. It's one of the best kits I have ever built-great crisp detail; painless from beginning to end. Some people have been practically stealing them from Hobby Lobby lately for about 7 bucks. Best kit buy of the century.

Second favorite of mine would be the Fujimi 550 Maranello; with a few caveats. They shared parts of the interior w/their 575, so the door panels aren't prototypical (there is a proper 550 dash). The seat engraving is pretty weak and rudimentary. Otherwise it's a great kit, and if you don't care about the interior design that much it will be just fine OOB. I had a lot of fun building mine, but I did upgrade the interior. Don't tell anyone, but I kitbashed the plastic bits (door panels/seats) from a Burago diecast 550 to upgrade it :wink: I also did the unthinkable and painted it a Nissan green :shock: :lol:

If you do go w/stock door panels, watch for the fit under the kit glass which might complicate final assembly. A bit of trimming may be necessary. My kitbashed parts were an easy and perfect fit.

I've built a Revell 612, it's really good but a bit ornery to work with in final assembly. I also did many custom tricks to mine because I wanted it to look more aggressive. I've seen Revell's 430 up close last weekend and it looks really good for the $$, and I've seen them built. I can't comment on the user-friendly aspect, but the few I've seen built looked good. Shortcomings are undersized wheels; lowering helps. I'm working on a Fujimi F430 Challenge, I have seen one built on another board and the builder was glowing at how good it was (especially for a 4-day OOB buildup); and it looks marvellous finished. It's definitely a step above their other F430's and their Maranellos.

I wasn't too happy w/Revell's 360. Ended up being a parts kit. It was cheap so that didn't matter. The body is pretty messy w/tons of prep work needed for a good finish. Seats seem 1/20 scale. Mirrors are too big and sit too tall. Yet good modeling techniques will yield a good finish so it's not at all hopeless. But after the Tamiya it's a stinkeroo.

#3 Tuffy's Garage

Tuffy's Garage

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the advise Bob. I am looking at the Revell 360, reason is I can use paint that I have right now and if it looks bad so what. I am going to order some Cobra Colors when my Lamborghini comes in. Then I can order paint for the other Ferrari cars that I have along with that for the Lambo. Being the first Ferrari car that I am doing it is sort of a test for me and my skills. I had no idea that it had so many issues but I will give it a whirl. Again thanks for the help

Charlie

#4 MonoPed

MonoPed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

I haven't built Tamiya's 360 Spyder, but I have built the coupe. Aside from using Bob's side window fix, it was as close to a "shake-n-bake" kit as you'll get.... toss paint and glue in the box, shake, and out comes a Ferrari :lol:

Brian

Posted Image

#5 Tuffy's Garage

Tuffy's Garage

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:28 AM

With the issue of the windows and interior of the 550 what needs to be trimmed the windows or the door panels?

#6 Tuffy's Garage

Tuffy's Garage

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:29 AM

Nice job Brian :lol:

#7 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:17 AM

With the issue of the windows and interior of the 550 what needs to be trimmed the windows or the door panels?

Probably just a sliver or two off the top edge of the door panel. You can do a dry-fit of the body/chassis/interior and side panels/glass to see how much interference you run into. I had no problems, but a couple of friends mentioned it being a minor issue. Other than that it's pretty much a shake 'n bake. I'll email Brian Venable to see if he remembers his fix for it.

#8 Billy Kingsley

Billy Kingsley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Full Name:Billy

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:57 AM

Charlie...I dare you to paint it Neon Pink :lol:

#9 Tuffy's Garage

Tuffy's Garage

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

Won't happen :roll: :lol:

#10 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:46 PM

Won't happen :roll: :P

Hallelujah :lol:

Seeing the pink photoshopped "Hello Kitty" 512 TR was bad enough.

http://images.google...i...rrari&hl=en

#11 Tuffy's Garage

Tuffy's Garage

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:58 PM

Don't worry Bob it will be Silver Grey with a red interior

Charlie

#12 ismaelg

ismaelg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

Charlie,

I'm late to the party but I also vote for the 360. I built this Tamiya 360 coupe and it just fell together. It's a great kit to work with.
Posted Image
Cobra Colors Giallo Modena

Thanks,

#13 Mr. Metallic

Mr. Metallic

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:21 AM

Now I've got a urge to build mine. I have always wanted to, just haven't done it yet. I'm selling some of my ferarri kits on ebay, but am hanging on to a few, and the Tamiya 360 is one fo them. Just too many stalled projects on my bench.

Bob, at least I had the forthought to save your original critique and window fixes when you posted them to H/H. Thank goodness for that.

#14 Tuffy's Garage

Tuffy's Garage

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:39 AM

Started the Revell 360 Spider the other day. Got it painted and that is about it. I will post some pics of it later when I can get a chance to take some