#1 BSteinIPMS

BSteinIPMS

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Steinbrunn

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

I'm building the Gabriel (former Hubley) metal kit of the Duesenberg SJ LeBaron Dual-cowl sweep panel phaeton. After viewing the kit parts I began the process of wondering what had possessed me to build this flash-ridden kit. I found normal modeling tools such as files, chisels, bench grinders, and sledge hammers worked well.  :wacko:

One of the many items requiring correction are the wire wheels. The six wheels come in two halves, meaning 12 pieces total. The spokes are not round and are waaaaay overscale. I was filled with dismay.

Not being very bright, I began the laborious process of de-chroming the wheels in bleach, scrubbing the residue off with a toothbrush (an old one, mind), and replacing the spokes one-by-one. All 468 of 'em. I began by clipping out 4 spokes at a time, drilling .016" holes at the proper angle from the outside of the rim into the hub, then inserting lengths of .015" steel wire from the hobby shop.

Years later, well, maybe not years, but at least a month or two, I was done. The wheels were airbrushed with Alclad II Gloss Black base, allowed to cure and harden for a week, then airbrushed with Alclad II Chrome. This stuff is fantastic. The photos show the "series of unfortunate events", as the movie and book title go, and I hope you all approve.

My wife thinks all is not well with me........ :rolleyes:

005_zps464a43ec.jpg

006_zpsade744bc.jpg

020_zps34fb98bf.jpg

Edited by BSteinIPMS, 05 March 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#2 wkennerley

wkennerley

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne M. Kennerley

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

A lot of work but they do look so much better, well done

Wayne

#3 Belugawrx

Belugawrx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Coy

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

Wow

Very nicely done so far

Lovin' it

#4 astroracer

astroracer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Very nice! Did you build any jigs for the drilling? I would like to see them if you did. I like seeing how guys do things like this.

Mark

#5 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,747 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

What a difference !  Nice work.

#6 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,883 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Beautiful! That was a lot of very tedious work, but the end result is worth it.

#7 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Fantastic result-worth all the effort. I built this as a Hubley 100 years ago and loved the finished product. I did a black with maroon in the cove 2 tone. But I had no skills to improve those wheels. They 'make' the car.

Please post the whole build.

#8 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

You're apparently turning a very good kit into a masterpiece. Those wheels will make a very big difference, and if you approach the rest of the kit with that spirit, you'll have the best one ever. Engine is amazing. Kudos.

You're new to this forum, but obviously a highly skilled and experienced modeler. Is there a place where we can see some of your other work?

Edited by sjordan2, 05 March 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#9 Scalper

Scalper

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts
  • Full Name:Andre

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Wow the wheels look so real.. 

#10 Aeroman

Aeroman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Full Name:Juan Ramirez

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

well worth the effort!!!!!

#11 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,189 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

Great Wheels!

B)

#12 bobthehobbyguy

bobthehobbyguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Taber

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Great job. Those wheels look great.

#13 BSteinIPMS

BSteinIPMS

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:30 AM

Very nice! Did you build any jigs for the drilling? I would like to see them if you did. I like seeing how guys do things like this.

Mark

Hi Mark,

No jigs, sorry. I did all this by hand by just clipping out four plastic spokes at a time then sighting along the marks I made in the rim and the hub to drill holes through the rim and into the hub. Then I'd CA-glue the .015" steel wire spokes in place. By doing only four spokes at a time as I worked my way around the rim I was able to keep the hub centered within the rim and the spokes parallel to each other. If a person had an indexing head for their Sherline lathe (I don't) this would be somewhat easier and more precise. Still, having said that, I'm happy with the result.

#14 BSteinIPMS

BSteinIPMS

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:38 AM

You're apparently turning a very good kit into a masterpiece. Those wheels will make a very big difference, and if you approach the rest of the kit with that spirit, you'll have the best one ever. Engine is amazing. Kudos.

You're new to this forum, but obviously a highly skilled and experienced modeler. Is there a place where we can see some of your other work?

Hi Skip,

Thanks for the kind words and your astute observation: I've been an airplane modeler for years and have written over 50 articles for FineScale Modeler, Ships in Scale magazine, the IPMS/USA Journal, and the Nautical Research Journal. I've written two books which you can see here if you have the interest:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/8974756552

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0764339532

One example of my work can be found here: http://www.modelship...d661-index.html

If you want to spend a little money, you can download some other stuff here: http://www.kalmbachs...m/fspdf018.html

All that notwithstanding, this is my first serious car model and I must admit to some feeling my way around in the dark. This forum is a great place to learn new methods and techniques and to meet other modelers, all of whom I have found to be positive, upbeat, clear-eyed buoyant extroverts.

Cheers!

--Bob

#15 gman

gman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Peters

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

As well you should be- artfully done! 

#16 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

Hi Skip,

Thanks for the kind words and your astute observation: I've been an airplane modeler for years and have written over 50 articles for FineScale Modeler, Ships in Scale magazine, the IPMS/USA Journal, and the Nautical Research Journal. I've written two books which you can see here if you have the interest:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/8974756552

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/0764339532

One example of my work can be found here: http://www.modelship...d661-index.html

If you want to spend a little money, you can download some other stuff here: http://www.kalmbachs...m/fspdf018.html

All that notwithstanding, this is my first serious car model and I must admit to some feeling my way around in the dark. This forum is a great place to learn new methods and techniques and to meet other modelers, all of whom I have found to be positive, upbeat, clear-eyed buoyant extroverts.

Cheers!

--Bob

Stunning stuff -- especially the USS Kidd, with its opening hatch doors. Bummer about the damage.

Edited by sjordan2, 06 March 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#17 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

thats just to much .....

way to much

eye candy :wub:  :lol:  

stunning !!!

#18 Russell C

Russell C

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Cook

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

.......... My wife thinks all is not well with me........ :rolleyes:

Good chance that all of us here are seriously demented.

Fabulous work, and one more among the ways of wiring wheels. I've bookmarked your before 'n after photo as an inspiration for a Jo-Han '31 Cadillac idea I have rattling around in my head. That one seems like a nice kit, except for the wheels.

#19 ningoth4

ningoth4

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Foureman

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:45 AM

I have so often thought about using this exact method on a smaller scale wheel but never got brave enough to try it. Now I might have to do just that at some point. You did a fantastic job and the wheels turned out beautifully!!! :) 

Kevin

#20 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

WOW these are great wheels !