MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Steinbrunn

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

What is the length of the piano hinge?

Hi Skip,

The model requires a 3" piano hinge for all three places on the hood panels, but the Model Car Garage Big Rig hinges are only 2 1/2" long. No matter: it's a simple operation to splice in the extra amount from another MCG Big Rig kit.

Cheers!
--Bob

Edited by BSteinIPMS, 29 March 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#43 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

Hi Skip,

The model requires a 3" piano hinge for all three places on the hood panels, but the Model Car Garage Big Rig hinges are only 2 1/2" long. No matter: it's a simple operation to splice in the extra amount from another MCG Big Rig kit.

Cheers!
--Bob

Thank you.

#44 LWBNomad

LWBNomad

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Full Name:Stanley G Munn

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Bob, are you using Plastruct hexagonal rod for bolt heads?

#45 BSteinIPMS

BSteinIPMS

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

Bob, are you using Plastruct hexagonal rod for bolt heads?

Hi Stan,

No, although I have that in stock in 3 different sizes. All of the styrene nuts, bolts, washers, and rivets are from Tichy Train Group and are in a wide variety of sizes and shapes. The model railroad section of my local hobby shop carries literally hundreds of these railroad items and many are perfect for car models.

The TTG Website is at: http://www.tichytrai...om/Default.aspx

You can download their catalogs there, and they're free.  :)

I've also used a number of brass hex-head bolts, nuts, and washers in four sizes for the larger hardware, such as steering and suspension. From large to small, these are: 2-56, 1-72, 0-80, and 00-90. These come from two places:

Walthers: http://www.walthers....ry=sbs&start=30

Micro Fasteners: http://www.microfasteners.com/

The Micro Fasteners hardware is a bit less expensive and the brass is harder. I use this primarily, but the Walthers softer brass is better when you have to drill out a nut or a bolt to install locking hardware, such as cotter pins.

Cheers!

--Bob

#46 f1ford48

f1ford48

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Schaeffer

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

Great amount of information and talent here-the wheels are fantastic and the alclad finish is perfect-real chrome is too shiny on these models-they now look like real steel.[almost are!]

I noticed you use many suppliers-do you know where I can buy scale chain and sprockets for my Historic racers? 1/16- and 1/8 scale cars?  I know it must be out there.

I look foreward to seeing more of this build.

#47 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Great amount of information and talent here-the wheels are fantastic and the alclad finish is perfect-real chrome is too shiny on these models-they now look like real steel.[almost are!]

I noticed you use many suppliers-do you know where I can buy scale chain and sprockets for my Historic racers? 1/16- and 1/8 scale cars?  I know it must be out there.

That's also something that can be found in model train or military parts. Assembled chain up to 6" in length has been available from Grandt Line, but I'm sure Bob has info on PE chains, for assembly link by link and pin by pin. I have Grandt Line chain that's pretty nice, made in Delrin. I could really use smaller working chain for my Bugatti's brake cable system. This is Grandt Line Delrin chain, part # 70001, shown at about 200%. However, in trying to get the right web link, they say that this product, including sprockets, is temporarily discontinued (found under military model parts, which could be another source to search).

Picture4-2.png

Edited by sjordan2, 31 March 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#48 f1ford48

f1ford48

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Schaeffer

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

If im not mistaken thats the same chain I used on OLD 16.     I think there must be a scale chain out there possibly used by clock makers ??? in brass ...the Pocher Fiat chain is very nice but one would have to buy a kit to obtain it.

#49 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Jeez, Bob! You had to go and build a car and embarass all of us car builders! Thanks a bunch!

#50 LWBNomad

LWBNomad

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Well, thanks again for the useful information, Bob. I picked up some 00-90 hex-head bolts that are sold here under the brand name Hob-Bits, by Woodland Scenics out of Linn Creek MO. I'm still experimenting with drilling .016 holes in the Duesie's rims. I now have a half dozen different pin-vices, but I keep breaking these tiny drill bits. Today I bought a Zona with a free-spinning palm knob that looks like it ought to be more user-friendly.  But I've also ordered some carbide bits and figured out a jig that ought to speed up drilling holes for the 468 spokes - especially so if I can use it on my drill press. If it works, I'll post some photos of it.

#51 BSteinIPMS

BSteinIPMS

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

Frank,

Skip has one good source for the resin chain but says it's discontinued. Micro-Mark carries the same item along with different sizes of sprockets here:

http://www.micromark...-foot,9716.html

Micro-Mark also sells ladder chain from Tamiya, but it may not be scale for your purposes:

http://www.micromark...-set,10780.html

Top Studio makes photoetch link-by-bloody-link chain that is just beautiful when assembled. Very tedious. Requires extreme patience. Therefore, anyone with children could easily assemble these kits:

http://www.hiroboy.c...6d8f1081080c77d

Last, Model Factory Hiro makes a similar product:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10064748

I think if you google "Tamiya photo etch chain" or any variation of this you'll find others.

Cheers!

--Bob

#52 BSteinIPMS

BSteinIPMS

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:12 AM

Jeez, Bob! You had to go and build a car and embarass all of us car builders! Thanks a bunch!

Andrew.....Andrew.....Andrew.......you must be mistaken. I'm an amateur whereas you're the Master of Time, Space, and Automotive Dimension. I genuflect before your greatness! I am not worthy. I grovel at your feet.  :D

See you at the NNL North Model Car Show 18 May? I think I'll bring my Duesenberg engine. It's all I have.

014-Copy_zps8628523b.jpg

017-Copy_zpsa3e706fd.jpg

Cheers!

--Bob

#53 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Now I remember! You are the one that I used to drool over in FSM with the radial engine article. . Very nice work on the whole car .

#54 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:46 AM

Andrew.....Andrew.....Andrew.......you must be mistaken. I'm an amateur whereas you're the Master of Time, Space, and Automotive Dimension. I genuflect before your greatness! I am not worthy. I grovel at your feet.  :D

See you at the NNL North Model Car Show 18 May? I think I'll bring my Duesenberg engine. It's all I have.

014-Copy_zps8628523b.jpg

017-Copy_zpsa3e706fd.jpg

Cheers!

--Bob

You must be mistaking me some other Andrew. I am a hacker.

#55 Ira

Ira

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,209 posts
  • Full Name:Ira Dahm

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

Looks Great!

Very Realistic... B)

#56 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Awesome!  Having built all the Hubley kits, I really appreciate this being shared.  

#57 LWBNomad

LWBNomad

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

I'm happy to report that mere mortals can do this, too!  This is my first wheel, in progress.  A little hacked up with false starts - broken drills, not enough thought into the drilling sequence, etc., but the back halves of the wheels, which this is one of, can hide a multitude of sins, to a point.  It does get easier.  But, egad, this will take some time. 

Attached Files

#58 Ford V8

Ford V8

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Full Name:Jefferson Chocron

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

I have seen her work with aircraft kits in the FSM and was amazed at the details. To my surprise, upon entering this post, I have just discovered that the person who is posting here (a beautiful car by the way), is the same person who made those beautiful airplanes. Your buildings have always been an inspiration to me and, no doubt, I'll continue watching this assembly too.

Congratulations, Mr Bob

Jefferson

#59 BSteinIPMS

BSteinIPMS

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'm happy to report that mere mortals can do this, too!  This is my first wheel, in progress.  A little hacked up with false starts - broken drills, not enough thought into the drilling sequence, etc., but the back halves of the wheels, which this is one of, can hide a multitude of sins, to a point.  It does get easier.  But, egad, this will take some time. 

It's looking just great, Stan! Very precise and regular! Not easy to do, but I admire your stick-to-it-evness. A tool which made it go much faster for me and made the whole project palatable was an old Dremel hobby tool, one of the single-speed models which needed to be plugged into Dremel's speed controller (a purpose-made rheostat) which slowed the drill bits down to where they would not melt the plastic. By not having to manually turn and twist a pin vise (vice, if you're Canadian...grin), you break far fewer drill bits since you can hold things much steadier. And since we're talking British here (and Canadian) I'll just say Good Show, Eh?

#60 BSteinIPMS

BSteinIPMS

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I have seen her work with aircraft kits in the FSM and was amazed at the details. To my surprise, upon entering this post, I have just discovered that the person who is posting here (a beautiful car by the way), is the same person who made those beautiful airplanes. Your buildings have always been an inspiration to me and, no doubt, I'll continue watching this assembly too.

Congratulations, Mr Bob

Jefferson

Thanks for the kind words, Jefferson; much appreciated! You are either very old or have a very good memory to recall all those old FineScale Modeler articles.  :D