#21 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:11 AM

Gene, was the "memo" on the Mighty Mouse decals? If so, I got it. And you have got to go with it. A V8 powered Topolino is as "Mighty Mouse" as one can get. By the way, it was my favorite cartoon as a very young child in the early '60s.

As we speak, I'm working on the same kit. So I'll be keeping an eye on yours. Bought a set of Gofer Racing racing decals. In the set I bought is a cartoon rat with the words "Rat Rod" underneath. Thought about that for while, but I don't want build mine to looking like a "rat rod". It is a Topolino, not a rat after all. And I want to mine to be nice and shiny. On the same decal sheet are some Hamm's Beer logos with the Hamm's bear. Growing up in "The Land of Sky Blue Waters", near St. Paul where Hamm's was originally brewed, I'm thinking of going with that. Painting the model in Tamiya's Light Blue Metallic. Then adding the Hamm's Beer/bear decals. Hamm's Beer decals on a A/A dragster? I haven't drank in years, so I kind of like the humor of that. What do you think?

Scott Aho

#22 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Ahart

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Scott, I thought that Carl was the only one that didn't get the memo saying, " we don't like this car" 'cause for four days after the second update he was the only one that left a comment.

I remember Hamm's beer well. Growing up in KC they were the sponsor for major league baseball radio broadcast's here, so I've heard that jingle 'many' times! I think the Hamm's logo decals would work well. Like mine it will be a 'what if' car, lol.

Here's a link to an article that was in Mopar Muscle Magazine a few years ago. If you scroll down the second picture on right is the 'original' car taken in 1959, it's 'BLUE', (click to get larger view). The AMT Double Dragster Fiat is based on 'that' car. In your kit there should be a second set of headers, (there is in the 'Tin' version) with one tube hanging lower than the others? In the picture look at the header tube closest to the firewall, same droop. Only thing is, AMT molded it backwards! So if you use it you have to put it on the 'passenger' side, which would be incorrect. It's one of the few pics that exist of the car to my knowledge.

http://www.moparmusc..._coupe_altered/

Thanks for the comment Scott, I appreciate it. It's fun to have someone doing the same build! Let me know if you start a thread.

Attached Files

Edited by Speedfreak, 04 April 2014 - 01:24 AM.

#23 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,279 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:44 AM

I did not know your post was moved here Gene. Looking forward to some more update pictures....

#24 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Carl, I didn't know it until last night, makes since though. I'm feeling better today, hopefully I can get a couple of pics up.

#25 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:53 AM

Gene, thanks for link to that article on Walt's Puffer. Very cool. I knew the AMT kit was based on that car, but I never really knew anything of the car, or the driver's career. And I'm glad to see the car is still around. With great detailed pictures to boot.

Thanks,
Scott Aho

#26 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Well, great detailed pictures of the 'Puffer II' car anyway, but , not the original. Another thing I noticed in these photos is that the grill on the front of the car has been removed and filled in with fiberglass(?) Or, Bondo or something. A lot of people stick that thick hideous chrome grill (from the kit) on the front and it actually wasn't on the car! Here's another photo I found of the 'Puffer II' car that was taken in September of '63, you can clearly see that the grill area has been filled in.

Attached File  IndyNats63Walts-Puffer1ontrailer.jpg   49.47KB   0 downloads

Also notice that the header pipe closest to the firewall is no longer 'bent(?) So, maybe the photo from '59 showing it at a dropped angle was something that just happened, like it got bent somehow, or , was that way because they were made from scratch and done in a hurry and that's just the way they ran it at the time? Or, maybe there 'was' a structural reason for it being lower. Either way, AMT captured that feature (using photos from same period) and made it part of the kit design for time immemorial.  

Edited by Speedfreak, 03 April 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#27 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

You are just teasing us with the talk of photo's . I like your color options and the mouse decal. 

#28 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

You are just teasing us with the talk of photo's . I like your color options and the mouse decal. 

That made me laugh, and , thanks.

Edited by Speedfreak, 03 April 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#29 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

Ok, finally got some progress pics, I know, I know, don't let it blow your mind. The wheels are painted Tamiya gloss Black, with slight detail for these photos, not finished with them. The basic engine assembly and the 'in/out' are ready for paint, and the seam around the oil pain needs a little filler. Had to fill a hole in the block ( you got nothing on me Ira!) between one cylinder head and the block, (with real Tamiya putty!) not sure why that happened. And the frame has been painted, (too bad you can't really see it) with Tamiya semi-gloss black, except where you can see I had the clip to hold it. The engine is gonna be a sunburst orange and the seat will either be MM Brown leather, or , red, I'm leaning towards brown leather, gotta throw in something organic with all the bright cartoon colors.  Here goes, thanks for looking!

Attached File  IMG_0216.JPG   41.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0217.JPG   50.96KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0218.JPG   126.64KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0219.JPG   99.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0221.JPG   111.48KB   0 downloads

Edited by Speedfreak, 04 April 2014 - 01:30 AM.

#30 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,279 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:34 AM

Looking great Gene, glad to see you working on this. Keep up the good work buddy...

#31 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Carl! It looks like tomorrow the weather will permit me to get some painting done! The engine going to be MM 'Sunburst' It's pretty close to some of the red/orange in the Mighty Mouse image.

#32 OldTimer50707

OldTimer50707

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Full Name:Lee Burrows

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

#33 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Looks great Gene as I'm just waiting for the "paint to dry" on my Fiat and I'll be all done. Finished the engine, chassis, wheels& tires this past weekend. I got the body painted and cleared also.

#34 10thumbs

10thumbs

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Dalton

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hello Gene, wonderful background info!

The older drag cars had so much character, and the pics from back in the early 60's show often the way it was.  Especially on non-NHRA dragstrips.  The local dragstrips down south where the Big Hitters didn't go.  As a kid I was nuts about a fairly local racer who often ran a B/Gas Anglia.  Injected SBC, middle blue pearl type paint, and blue tinted plexiglass.  A real beauty, and an absolute hit to watch.  Also a couple of years later, the AFX Match Races!  Then the big hitters would run what they brung!  Cool!

Enjoy your build, you got lots of folks looking.

Michael

#35 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

Thanks a lot Michael, I've actually got some progress I should be posting soon. I've got a question for you or anyone else that reads this; Right now I've got the headers painted matt white, I'm wondering after looking at the photos above if that's just too much white, with the white walls and all? Maybe I should paint them silver/aluminum? I don't know, the white headers really makes the car pop, any opinions? Thanks. I'll try and do a mock-up with the engine so you can see what it's going to look like. Thanks. 

#36 Skip

Skip

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Ragsdale

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

That looks really great. As for the white headers, you could always give them that slightly charred around the edges look that white VHT header paint gets after being run a while. Even more so with supercharged engines.

The last one of those I built I ditched the frame and put it on an Orange Crate chrome tube frame with a Chevy 6 out of the '51 Bel Air kit with triple Webbers (don't remember their source maybe Revell VW), weed burner headers (Plastruct tubing). Came out pretty nice, that is until it rolled off the shelf and my nephew thought it was a great toy. Quickly destroyed! Fiddly parts don't stand up to the four year old toy tester!

#37 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hey Skip thanks. How do I re-produce that 'charred' look on the headers? A little gray, (or black?) just at tip and then some brown fadding into black, (or gray?) all ending about in scale 3" or so from tip?

#38 rustybill1960

rustybill1960

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Poland

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

This little "mouse" is looking good

How about some dry-brushing for those pipes?

Thank You for sharing

Later

Russ

;)

#39 Skip

Skip

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Ragsdale

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

With really light washes of the colors mentioned. Build up slowly. Dry each wash so that you don't go overboard. Work light to dark, one color at a time, mixing multiple colors makes for a muddy wash. Wou could even "stipple" the wash on using a quill pen or other fine tip that will hold a small amount of paint. Wash refers to diluting the paint to a near transparent state and applying in small amounts. It can be Don with enamels by thinning them to near clear which will give a slightly granulated effect. The more dilution you have with the paint the more distance between the pigment particles. It isn't hard to get it to work. Best part is if you don't like the effect you can remove it either by stripping the whole thing or working down in layers with a Qtip slightly dampened with thinner, almost dry.

A second method could be used either with the wash or alone from the wash would be dusting with Artist's Chalks, which has been covered here and on other boards tutorials. Seal the Artists Chalks with a workable Artists Fixative.

Most any weathering technique could be used to repliccate a burned header paint effect. Most Race Cars are not allowed to rust up, sponsors don't like the look. The weathering would be what took place from a few trips down the quarter mile in this case, something that is slightly burnt, charred or even just dis-colored.

#40 Speedfreak

Speedfreak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Skip and Russell, I'll be looking into that. Here's what I have done on the car so far, well, it's a mock up really. It's slow going but I keep chugging along.

Attached File  IMG_0293.JPG   93.91KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0296.JPG   125.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0297.JPG   101.13KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0298.JPG   105.32KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0302.JPG   123.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0306.JPG   111.24KB   0 downloads

I'm really just working with ideas, the engine (except for block/heads/oil pan) is held together right now with Microscale Micro Liquitape, so I can take it apart, there's still some work there. The front edges of the intake scoop need to be narrowed for one thing, (on the Puffer II that was actually made from duct material by a heating/cooling guy that knew Walt Sr.) and, I'm going to wire it! The window's have about 5 dips in Future with yellow/red food coloring, (it's kind of orange) that you can barely see, but it works. I still need to work on the headers, and the front wheels/tires, and I think I'm going to do the firewall with Mate Aluminum Bare Metal Foil, any thoughts on that idea? Or, should I leave it body color? The seat is going to be reddish/brown with red seat belts?

Oh ya! I just ordered today (I still have to mail it) a Drag Chute Kit from Pro Tech, that should be cool, and , I'm thinking of getting smaller tires for the front, probably from Speed City. That's about it so far, any tips, or , ideas are welcome, Thanks! " He's small, but he's Mighty!

Attached Files

Edited by Speedfreak, 28 April 2014 - 07:23 PM.