Model Cars Magazine Forum

amt california hauler

Tim Ahlborn posted pictures of his build of a test shot on another forum this evening. It's the original circa 1969 T500 kit, without the sleeper (as it was in the original box art issue).

Looks terrific.

I would imagine that Tim will cover this in his column in the mag in due time.

TB

This is good news... but read the post that round 2 has problems with the sleeper parts of that kit....

I wonder if the sleeper was an afterthought in the original release? Did AMT include a separate, small instruction sheet for it, too?:

$_57.JPG

I read somewhere that the sleeper was available separate as the kit did not include it.. Something you sent in with a price for the time and you would get it .

I thought I had that bookmarked but can not find it.

Awesome pic Casey - takes me way back seeing that Apollo add.

Does that kit have the green tint windows ?

Edited by Old Buckaroo

The original kit had green tinted windows and did NOT include a sleeper.....

There was a mail in offer to allow the builder to buy the sleeper separately....

The second release did have clear windows and did include the sleeper....

IIRC both releases 1 and 2 were issued as T-500....

Where is the link which says it's comin fellas .

https://www.facebook.com/tim.ahlborn.3/posts/794483793913929

"The California Hauler - The post that Tom made about The Truck That Pete Built by Phil Jensen had a post mentioning that Round2 will be releasing the kit again. This is correct. I've been sitting on this secret for almost 3 years since the tool was located. The red 359 that I've occasionally posted photos of is a test-shot of this kit. The kit will be the same as the original T500-500 as a non-sleeper. The sleeper tool is not viable.

The kit will have a new decal sheet with two stripe options and three optional company door signs and California themed names and cities.

This is fantastic news - the original 1969 Peterbilt 359 is the kit that started the big rig kit line-up.

Now, watch eBay as a the kit speculators "dump" their original kits trying to make a buck on them."

1982206_794782853884023_1263188156_n.jpg

If this is for real that's good news. I've been paying 60 to 65 bucks for them (which is a good deal from Freds in Buffalo) and now have seven including the original one I built in 1969. Hey Jim B, I think I'm gonna be getting 10 or 12. Classic style for custom, work ,fleet dump truck, hay hauler etc.

I read in this thread and on other places that the original issue T500 500 had green tinted windows but the T500 500 kit I have with the first 1969 boxart has clear windows...so if anyone hasn't done anything to it there were appearently two versions.

I didn't buy this kit new as I bought it on an auction site a while ago, but it doesn't look like it has been tampered with and the clear windows fits the Unilite "Small Window" cab, so they can't be from the later 1100 cab version.
The only other version I know of with the Unilite cab is the later T500 and the T522 Wrecker.

There were three versions of this kit. The first version features the light blue/grayish colored plastic, green glass and a mail in form for the sleeper kit. The second version has white plastic with clear glass and the mail in form for the sleeper kit and the third version has white plastic, clear glass and a sticker on the box that said "sleeper included!" and had the seperate sleeper kit in the box. All the sleeper kits were molded in white plastic only.