#161 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Full Name:Francis Xavier Tiewski 3rd

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

I didn't know it was already out. I'm looking forward to getting the '15 Mustang (probably several), regardless of its "shortcomings". I actually prefer the snapfast-plus/craftsman-type models over the high parts count, highly detailed kits.

Does the '15 come in Gotta Have It Green?

It's far less a kit than that. It's more like a toy. The interior is THREE pieces. Tub with molded in seats, seperate dash, seperate steering wheel. The body and wheels are decent. Just needs some side view mirrors. Not bad tho for $13.

#162 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Full Name:Francis Xavier Tiewski 3rd

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Yea it may never happen. And that's OK. A couple times in different postings on this forum (and others) I've been told "You can't ask for that. The model companies will not, should not, do not listen too, or have better things to spend their money on for tooling other kits (mine not yours)." These points all maybe valid. But, I can still dream and voice my opinion too. What I want is as valid as what anybody else's wants. And if enough of us want the same thing, maybe someone will listen to us. My money is just as green as those who don't agree with my requests.

OK off of my soap box on this one. In general I'm pleased with Revell's 3rd quarter announcements. Both Revell and Round 2 are doing a great job of offering kits I want to spend my money on. I find it to be a fun time to be a model builder/collector.

Scott

You totally should wish, hope, dream, and post what you want. Just the same as the companies should totally read these forums and take into account of their customers views.
It's kit that Ed Sexton told me that the Internet forums voice, wasn't something that mattered to them. This company seems to be dead set on what to do for it's customers, without their feedback.
I'm totally a plus one on the stock 510. But we don't matter to them>:(

#163 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,582 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

It's kit that Ed Sexton told me that the Internet forums voice, wasn't something that mattered to them. This company seems to be dead set on what to do for it's customers, without their feedback.

I think that's unfair to say Frank.  Representatives from Revell,  Round 2 and Moebius have all been at NNL East in the past few years. Revell in particular has participated every year in recent memory.  If they weren't interested in us, it would be real easy to ignore us and not come.  If you go back to the old Scale Auto Enthusiast poll from the 1980s, nearly every one of the top requests has since been kitted.

On the other hand we need to realize that we are a very small part of their overall market. We are the lunatic fringe, those who are  over involved and know a great deal more about cars than the general public.  The main market for these companies that account for some 90% of their sales are the occasional modeler, someone who is not as involved as we are and wouldn't recognize a quarter of the cars that we assume are common.  Go to a Hallmark Card store and buy their collector car calendar.  You'll see the old favorites that everyone recognizes... Mustang, Camaro, Ferrari, '57 Chevy, '32 Ford...  so those subjects get the nod over some of the more obscure things we ask for.  The companies only have so much bandwidth, both in manpower and capital to invest, and the market will only absorb so much product into the stores. So they have to pick winners all the time.

#164 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:39 AM

Just the same as the companies should totally read these forums and take into account of their customers views.
I'm totally a plus one on the stock 510. But we don't matter to them> :(

Frank....I respectfully disagree with you on this.  

Even though they may not admit it publicly, Model Company personnel do read the forums from time to time - they would do it even more, but the model companies these days are extremely short staffed and they just don't have the time available to scour these forums in detail. The model companies get input on kit ideas from all sources, including customer suggestions.  

The other issue is that some of the comments posted on these boards are so far from reality (particularly those aimed at Revell), that it to an extent discredits the very good feedback and comments from most forum members. 

So my caution/suggestion would be that anyone who posts here should presume that their comments MIGHT be read by a model car company employee, therefore keep them factual and unemotional, as to do otherwise undermines the credibility of what otherwise might be a very helpful idea.

The other thing to realize - you SHOULD post your preferences here, but if they are NOT produced, it isn't that they companies aren't listening, it's that they companies need to invest the limited resources they have these days in kit topics that their prior experience suggests will sell well.  

These days, the track record suggests that "stock" versions of cars (other than exotics, the Mustang/Camaro/Corvette et al., and 1950's/60's topics if additional kit variations can be produced) generally do not sell well.  That is why it is unlilkely you'll see a new stock '32 Ford  or new 100% stock Datsun 510 anytime soon from Revell. On the other hand, new manufacturers coming into the market (MENG and ICM) are challenging these positions with their new product ranges (e.g. new current model pickup kits haven't sold well for at least 15 years, but the new MENG Super Duty may prove that to be an outdated assumption, same with ICM and their new stock Model T).  Minicraft have also stated publicly (in Fine Scale Modeler) that they are looking at entering the 1/24th/25th scale model kit category, so there may be even more new topics to come.  

So it's a fluid situation out there and you SHOULD ask for what you want as a kit topic.  

Just my suggestions, based on my background of the industry...TIM  

Edited by tim boyd, 21 June 2014 - 03:38 AM.

#165 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

Thank you Tim. Again I think you hit the nail on the head.... No I know you hit the nail on the head.

Scott

#166 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,095 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

The other issue is that some of the comments posted on these boards are so far from reality (particularly those aimed at Revell), that it to an extent discredits the very good feedback and comments from most forum members

So my caution/suggestion would be that anyone who posts here should presume that their comments MIGHT be read by a model car company employee, therefore keep them factual and unemotional, as to do otherwise undermines the credibility of what otherwise might be a very helpful idea.

So true.  You can always catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar, or with a boycott petition.

#167 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Really looking forward to the 67'Camaro and the Raptor pickup,on the fence about the ZL1 Camaro since Round 2 released the same kit last year. :)

About the AMT ZL1... No engine and not much more detail or parts. So I guess a more detailed Camaro WITH the supercharged LS engine would still be welcomed. A little competition never hurt anyone. A new Z/28 would be nice though...

#168 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

I think some of the perception about what should be produced is based on how the model car industry worked 30-50 years ago.

Back then, the volume of business was much larger and the retail outlets for sales bigger too. That meant larger runs and economies of scale.

In addition, the death of the promo business, killed off the deep pockets of car manufacturers that helped subsidize the cost of the tools and made the varied offerings of types of annual cars available bigger.

So, what is my point? The business is different now. Companies like Revell have to be VERY careful about the kits they choose to produce because it can be a lethal hit or miss with no extra benefactors to help pay or other kits to make up for losses. To me, it is a very difficult business.

#169 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

I will pick up a couple of the 67's  That is my favorite year Camaro and my first car  So I will be building a replica of my car from it.  I also will pick up a Raptor even though its a snap kit...Its a kit of a NEW truck for a change. Now if they would just do a New Silverado 4 door I would be all good!

#170 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

I'm not getting anything. Think I'll spend all my money tomorrow at Mikes Plastic Model Sale at the Postal Club.

#171 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Lots of goodies to look forward to over the next few months..wonder when the 4th quarter announcements will be made.

#172 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Lots of goodies to look forward to over the next few months..wonder when the 4th quarter announcements will be made.

If past performance is indicative of future results, it should be about 90 days before the beginning of the Quarter which would be the middle of August. They can't wait till iHobby or Toledo NNL since they'd already be a couple of weeks into the 4Q in mid-October.

Edited by niteowl7710, 29 June 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#173 Exotics_Builder

Exotics_Builder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Paquette

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

If past performance is indicative of future results, it should be about 90 days before the beginning of the Quarter which would be the middle of August. They can't wait till iHobby or Toledo NNL since they'd already be a couple of weeks into the 4Q in mid-October.

Well, last year when MCG interviewed Revell, it was just before IHOBBY when we learned the release plan.  But, we didn't get authorization to post until almost Thanksgiving.  We almost had to pull the information out of the article draft.  Thankfully, some folks went to bat to get the authorization so we could slot it for one issue later than planned.

#174 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Well, last year when MCG interviewed Revell, it was just before IHOBBY when we learned the release plan.  But, we didn't get authorization to post until almost Thanksgiving.  We almost had to pull the information out of the article draft.  Thankfully, some folks went to bat to get the authorization so we could slot it for one issue later than planned.

I could see them releasing the 1st quarter 2015 announcements at iHobby, but iHobby is too late for 4th quarter 2014 announcements.

#175 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

True, but SINCE then, they've announced the 2Q & 3Q release about a month and half before the start of that quarter.  We found out the 3Q releases in Mid May, and July starts the 3Q.

#176 ianguilly

ianguilly

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Full Name:Ian guilfoyle

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

Bumping this up , noticed today at my local hobby lobby they cleared out a ton of space for new stuff. 67 camaro 2n1, 2013 challenger and camaro, 70 torino 2n1, 57 Chrysler convertible,2015 mustang snap kit, amt 68 camaro, and a 2013 boss 302 mustang were among the tags I noticed.

Edited by ianguilly, 28 July 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#177 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Wondered what all those empty spots were for.

#178 English Jules

English Jules

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Full Name:Julian Hales

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

i see a snaptite Crown Vic?????????? wtf?????????????   why not a later one, or a Taurus etc.   It cant be the LIndberg kit can it??

#179 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

57 Chrysler convertible

Would this be the modified reissue of AMT's '57 hardtop 300C? If so, that's news to me!

#180 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

I think he meant 57 Chevy convertible.