#141 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

>The bolted on fins are another matter, of course:  The least expensive way to provide the variants

>of those would be to make them as separate parts

that would certainly make logical sense since they were separate parts in 1:1 anyway. its kind of funny (to me anyhow) that they would do a total "JC Whitney catalog" thing like that on a production car.

but those were certainly awesome cars in the looks and performance departments though I think they were all a bit heavy for their time?

I would buy one of all variants myself.

jb

#142 mr moto

mr moto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Full Name:Manuel J. Martinez

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

I don't know why separate Ventura and Catalina versions of the '61 Poncho are needed but basically all of those subjects have been crying out to be kitted for a long time. The '65 Plymouth is one that I've been wanting. Besides making excellent kits, Moebius seems to have a keen sense of the marketplace.

#143 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

that would certainly make logical sense since they were separate parts in 1:1 anyway. its kind of funny (to me anyhow) that they would do a total "JC Whitney catalog" thing like that on a production car.

but those were certainly awesome cars in the looks and performance departments though I think they were all a bit heavy for their time?

Studebaker was really hurting for cash even back then, so this was probably the cheapest/most cost effective way to "update" the cars without going through a lot of expense in making new fender dies.

Yeah, the Hawks were pretty ponderous for their time. IIRC, their wheelbases were something like 120" or thereabouts. So they certainly were no lightweights! Studebaker wouldn't get much on track again until the '59 Larks hit the road, but by that point the writing was on the wall.........Stude wouldn't make it through the '60's.

#144 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

I don't either, but a feature in Collectible Automobile makes a point of there being a difference. I think the Ventura is a higher -line model.

My quote button stopped working and I can't seem to copy & paste either :angry:

#145 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Havin' been a Ventura owner myself back-in-the-day you are correct Mike, as the Ventura is an upgraded Catalina

#146 Dave Metzner

Dave Metzner

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

I have 65 Plymouth tooling mock-ups here now - they'll go back to the factory on Monday.. Tooling ought to start in the next week or two!

#147 mangodart

mangodart

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Full Name:emmanuel Alleaume

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

Good news !! What's the engine in ???  :D

#148 Dave Metzner

Dave Metzner

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Big block wedge

#149 doggie427

doggie427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Location:currently 10th dimension;considering a move to the 13th
  • Full Name:wayne sauchuk

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Can't wait !!

#150 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

>The bolted on fins are another matter, of course:  The least expensive way to provide the variants

>of those would be to make them as separate parts

I would buy one of all variants myself.

jb

Studebaker Hawks really weren't all that heavy--they ranged from about 3100lbs for a '57 Silver Hawk, up to just over 3400lbs for the 1956 Golden Hawk.  Much of that extra weight of the Golden Hawk was due to the rather heavy (even when compared to say, a 50's Chrysler Hemi even!) Packard V8, which apparently was designed and produced without much thought given to its weight, considering that it was designed for a full-sized luxury Packard.

What really hampered the '57 Golden Hawk was the handling.  With the extra 200-250lbs of that Packard 352cid V8 (used in the '56 Golden Hawk as the only engine option) positioned as far forward in relation to the centerline of the front wheels,  that car had a nasty tendency to "plow" into a corner (push in racing terminology) and then suddenly spin out.  Studebaker Packard discontinued the Packard V8 (first introduced at Packard in 1955) and sold the tooling and rights to AMC,  leaving Studebaker with their original small block V8, which started out at 239cid, ultimately to be poked out to 289 cubic inches.  While that engine was comparatively heavy, compared to say, a small block Chevy and certainly to the 221/260/289/302 Ford V8 of the 60's, it didn't affect the '57 through 64 Hawks all that much, given that the basic Hawk design is almost exactly that of the 1953 Studebaker Commander coupes and hardtop.

Art

I have 65 Plymouth tooling mock-ups here now - they'll go back to the factory on Monday.. Tooling ought to start in the next week or two!

Definitely a drooling-instigating model coming up!

Art

#151 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

I don't know why separate Ventura and Catalina versions of the '61 Poncho are needed but basically all of those subjects have been crying out to be kitted for a long time. The '65 Plymouth is one that I've been wanting. Besides making excellent kits, Moebius seems to have a keen sense of the marketplace.

Pretty much because it will take only a few added bits of tooling to mold the Ventura--body shell (pretty much only the side slide-core dies) along with seats and interior side panels.

Frankly, I think the interest in both versions is quite high, so why not?

Art

#152 mangodart

mangodart

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Full Name:emmanuel Alleaume

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Big block wedge

Thanks, a pity they didn't choose to reproduce the Polyhead 318ci....

#153 Dave Metzner

Dave Metzner

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

There is a very good reason why we went with the big block.

#154 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

Studebaker Packard discontinued the Packard V8 (first introduced at Packard in 1955) and sold the tooling and rights to AMC,  leaving Studebaker with their original small block V8, which started out at 239cid, ultimately to be poked out to 289 cubic inches.  

The first-generation AMC V8 is unrelated to the Packard V8, which was produced only in '55 and '56.  They were all built at the Packard plant in Detroit, never in South Bend or Kenosha.  ('57 and '58 Packards used Stude engines.)  AMC buying the Packard engines was supposed to be the start of a mutual purchasing deal where the two companies would buy parts from one another.  Packard's half of the deal (buying parts from AMC) didn't materialize, at least to the satisfaction of AMC's leadership.  So they set out on a crash program to develop their own V8 engine.  The AMC engine is often said to be based on a stillborn Kaiser-Frazer V8 design.  A couple of ex-Kaiser engineers were working for AMC at the time the engine appeared, so that may or may not be true. 

#155 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Probably has something to do with its resemblance to the 426 Hemi block...

#156 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

The poly-head engines were never that popular as I 've seen a lot of Mopars, but no poly-head engines. I even shied away from buying a beautiful '64 Polara hardtop because it had a poly motor, and where would I get parts for it? And were would I get aluminum heads and intake manifolds for it also? No thanks.

#157 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

IA0709-81938_1.jpg

#158 Funkster

Funkster

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Funck

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

High Octane, In the last ten years the poly engine have become quite popular  In the land down they make alot of parts for the poly engines with some makeing as much as 500 hp.. Not an egine to shy away from any more.just like the early Hemi's and a place called Hot Heads making parts for them too.

#159 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

No doubt for doing subsequent Super Stock drag versions..

The '65 Satellite and Comet will both be welcome kits, as neither have been kitted before..good 'gap fillers'..

Edited by Rob Hall, 22 July 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#160 69NovaYenko

69NovaYenko

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Little

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:20 AM

The comet and the Satellite for sure, and maybe even the new Hudson. Now lets hope they do something like some 60's and 70's era AMC cars. Imagine a Javelin or Rebel Machine kit with the quality that comes out of Moebius. :rolleyes:

Now thats one exciting though...a  new reissue of AMC cars!!!

NO ONE attempted to release any replicas of these cars since the demise of Jo-Han.   A fresh reissue of the  `68 Javelin and `70 Javelin is long over due.  Possible a Mark Donohue special edition build option could be included in the `70 Javelin kit.

Edited by 69NovaYenko, 23 July 2014 - 05:22 AM.