Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth Rescue truck

Here we go, the start of Gabels Corner Rescue 3.

IMG_2857_zpse75877fb.jpg

IMG_2859_zps9218f530.jpg

I'm using a Revell Kenworth W900 snap kit to make a crane equipped rescue similar to Fifth District VFD's Rescue 5 (http://www.fdvfd.com/images/apparatus/RESCUE-SQUAD-5.jpg). I started assembling the rescue body which I based on modified drawings of the Pierce FDNY Rescue 1 and have plans to build a simple interior to slide into the body once I start final assembly. I'm not sure if I should paint the Italeri crane before I assemble it, or after I assemble it since most of the parts are designed to interlock, so I need to figure that out real quick.

I'm fairly certain that I need to stretch the chassis frame, there just isn't enough room to fit that crane in there without the stretch. I'll wait a little bit, though, to make sure I'll have enough clearance once I finish assembling the crane. Then I can make a couple of other modifications, like long fuel tanks on the passengers side.

The paint scheme will be similar to my Peterbilt pumper, overall white with red fenders and red top trim. The crane will be painted red to match the color scheme.

Much more to come!

Charlie, I'm looking at a 1 inch extension to the frame to get the crane to sit inside the area. It should look something like this and still give enough clearance for the crane to move.

IMG_2866_zpse68e255d.jpg

IMG_2862_zps9dff8a1f.jpg

I might add an extra quarter inch to the frame to give some more swing room for the crane.

The back doors are done, just needs some paint. Now to start working on the interior.

IMG_2860_zps879c6329.jpg

IMG_2861_zps020687b5.jpg

Greg. I'd still love to have a copy of the blueprints for that truck from Conneaut. I have always like that rig and have had plans to make it ever since I saw it in Paul Barrett's Heavy Rescue Trucks, and since it's from Ohio, why not build it.

Thanks guys. This is starting to come together, if I can keep myself from adding too many details I might actually get it done before the summer is up. Here's the start of the interior.

IMG_2867_zpsc0ee2fdc.jpg

IMG_2869_zps9c1ac2a0.jpg

The v-groove paneling doesn't really show up, but the overall look of the roll-up compartments will be better once I finish up the access handles, which will be added after I paint the interior parts.

Unlike many rescue trucks, I tend to build mine with roll-up compartments on the interior. It has two effects, it cuts down on the amount of "extras" I have to make, and it also allows the guys to store everything in a compartment. I have plans to simulate an opened roll-up door compartment and add some gear, mainly SCBA bottles and some bags. Now I need to make more SCBA bottles, a couple of bags, and the bench seats. Then comes the interior ceiling...