77 replies to this topic

#61 Scott Colmer

Scott Colmer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

This is some really great scratch building. I REALLY like the subject matter. Turbine Stude truck. That's COOL.

#62 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

Incredible piece of work.....Very nice.....Just looking at this makes me want to step it up a bit....This is just awesome work.....

#63 gatorincebu

gatorincebu

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Full Name:Marc AKA Gator

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:18 AM

A hot concept! And I like the hubless wheels.

Be Well

Gator

#64 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

I used white resin to fill in the equalizing beams' recesses a bit, allowing me to cover the two ejector pin marks present in each recess, instead of needing to scrape and sand the marks away. The still-liquid resin is able to flow and seek its own level, and a little bit of surface tension inside the recess was a good thing, too, as the recesses ended up with nice and smooth:

bf0d62b8-e6d7-4433-91d5-32974c687262.jpg

I also filed and sanded the brass bushing at both ends of the beams to the correct width, so once the brackets on the axle housings are fine-tuned for width, I'll test fit everything together. The center bushing below has yet to be cut to length:

d7cf8e3d-8bc9-40f3-8f70-c933547504c9.jpg

I almost finished the front leaf springs, and luckily both main leaves ended up the same length. Always good when that happens. :D I added some small brass rod inside each main springs' front eye, loosely bolted both front spring ends in place, then cut and stacked the remaining leaves:

7253d574-303e-4b62-8e87-a3b0b986a83e.jpg

d8e93644-f591-4bbc-9bff-eab2c794a526.jpg

I will go back and fine-tune the arch of each leaf, but I was able to drill the holes for the center bolt drilled through each leaf on one side, then re-stack and bolt them all together for a test fit...some tweaking will be necessary.  -_-

786015c8-33fc-49ef-80b4-60ab23ef995d.jpg

#65 gotnitro?

gotnitro?

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Bulmer

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:09 AM

Impressive work! Thanks for the step by step build. Your brass working skills are amazing

#66 cdnmodman

cdnmodman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Full Name:rick beaubien

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:33 AM

Awesome scratch building !!!

#67 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:32 PM

Thanks, guys.  ^_^

Tonight I added the leaf spring shackle brackets to the frame, set the leaf springs in position on the frame to make sure the rear spring eyes were positioned correctly, then checked how much clearance there was between the bottom of the engine and the top of the front beam axle:

84d2c428-177a-4dac-8779-1fe071003bfe.jpg

89386bc1-7e08-4bd8-a9d8-7419206c1b91.jpg

Not much. :huh:  I have plenty of clearance, actually, since the height of the shackles wasn't even factored in yet, so no there will be no need to add a clearance bend to the axle. Before I added the rear shackle mounts I had to remove the mid-engine mounts, as they were sitting in the same spot on the frame rails. I will make a semi-circular mid-engine mount similar to the front engine mount, so that should provide mid-engine support and harmonize things a bit more.

6e232fe3-cf93-469b-ac52-e36c48a79d28.jpg

#68 Doobie

Doobie

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Chivers

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

Casey those springs look fantastic . Your axel is not seated all the way to the springs BTW.

#69 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

Casey those springs look fantastic . Your axel is not seated all the way to the springs BTW.

Thanks, Dave, and you're right about the axle. The two inboard axle locating ribs had yet to be removed when I took the above picture, but they've since been removed. The axle is from the AMT GMC Astro 95 kit, so the width between the spring packs was a bit different compared to the C-series springs/frame.

I finally got four shackle pieces made from brass strip, and repositioned the rear shackle mounts on the frame for the third time:

9e8f1c46-9d96-4cf0-a573-d02f29b2de82.jpg

1599abcc-02ac-45f3-bc61-471e9e81d2e4.jpg

2a82265d-aec9-4b6e-aabb-203bff2135ff.jpg

I decided to remove the axle housing-to-equalizing beam tabs, as the mounting/pivot holes were huge, and the plastic was very fragile and thin. I will use some metal, bend it and shape it, then use epoxy to permanently attach it to the axle housing. That will give everything a lot more strength and ensure nothing breaks should the suspension ever move through it's full range.

I also found some .010" clear packaging "window" material which I'm going to use for the door and side window "glass," so that should add a few more months of work. :lol:  

#70 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

Fantastic detail work Casey.

#71 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Full Name:Jaroslav Tulacek

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

This is really awesome. Very nice work on improving the looks of the model. Some useful ideas there.

#72 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:10 PM

Thanks, guys.

I ordered some p/e frets from Dirt Modeler with the hope that some of the brackets would replace the now-removed molded in axle housing brackets, and it turns out some of the Lenco trans mount brackets were a near perfect fit. Plus, the brackets already have a perfectly sized and centered hole pre-drilled for the mounting bolt, making assembly much easier, too:

cd3e8252-149c-4419-890e-9a0c6a5feb1d.jpg

#73 Superpeterbilt

Superpeterbilt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Hymel

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

Very cool

#74 truckabilly

truckabilly

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Full Name:Jaroslav Tulacek

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:48 PM

Nice.

#75 Trucker Al

Trucker Al

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Full Name:Alexander Melnychuk

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

I am truly amazed by this build! i want to see more!!

Alex

#76 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Full Name:JC Reckner

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:44 PM

Thanks, guys.

I ordered some p/e frets from Dirt Modeler with the hope that some of the brackets would replace the now-removed molded in axle housing brackets, and it turns out some of the Lenco trans mount brackets were a near perfect fit. Plus, the brackets already have a perfectly sized and centered hole pre-drilled for the mounting bolt, making assembly much easier, too:

cd3e8252-149c-4419-890e-9a0c6a5feb1d.jpg

Nice work Casey.  What adhesive did you use to attached the brackets?  I would like to try these but with such little bonding surface I am concerned they would snap right off. 

#77 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,057 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

What adhesive did you use to attached the brackets?  I would like to try these but with such little bonding surface I am concerned they would snap right off. 

I used superglue with some accelerator, and it seems to be holding up fine. I was a bit concerned about stability, too, but once cured, everything is very solid. I also cut a very shallow groove/slot in the axle housing with a p/e saw blade for each bracket to sit in, so not sure how much, if at all, that helped. I considered epoxy, too, but didn't have any on hand.

I guess the risk of breaking off is always present when using something this thin and small, but I wiggled each tab after the superglue was cured and they feel secure enough to proceed to me.

#78 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:58 AM

Very interesting project. You've some excellent work in on it.

David G.