This is being done as part of GTR Modelers’ 2014 theme of Pony Cars. I decided to do something a bit different and do a Pontiac Firebird (based on the Revell kit). Instead of the V8, I elected to make it an OHC six Sprint.
To do that, I got Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland OHC Pontiac Six that is based on the MPC engine. Norm includes a predrilled distributor as well. I have just started on the engine and painted it with Testor’s Pontiac Engine Blue:
I chose Scale Finishes OEM Pontiac color Meridian Turquoise for something a little different. The body needed only minor cleanup, but I did add additional ledge area for the rear panel to ensure it glued well. Upon test assembly, it did not appear the chassis could be put in with the rear panel already glued in place. So I decided to play it safe.
For the hood, I got a flat Firebird hood from Scale Equipment Limited. I cleaned it up and added the kit tachometer to it.
Here’s the painted body pre-polishing:
I am still debating whether to clear coat first or just polish out the color coat. I usually clear coat to add extra protection to the finish (assuming the paint is not a base coat/clear coat option). The hood has some dirt specs in that will require some additional work.
I have the chassis about 80% complete, still needing to get any changes the engine might require and then assemble. I am not getting carried away on super-detailing here or the engine, as time and circumstances don’t permit.
The interior is pretty much as provided in the Revell kit. I went for a black interior and used the kit instrument decals and some painting to get this far. One thing Revell does not include is the wood trim on the dash and console. Doing some research, the Firebird could be had without the wood trim, but I wasn’t able to clarify what trim levels and most cars I’ve seen had the trim. So I dug out some Fujimi wood trim decals that most closely matched the real car, made templates and applied them. I also applied the polished trim on the console sides.
Given that most cars of this area had vinyl floor mats, I found a photo online, made floor pan templates, adapted the photos using CorelDraw and printed on my Color Laserjet.
Need to keep moving on this as there are about eight more weeks to get this ready.
Edited by Exotics_Builder, 04 July 2014 - 09:42 AM.