Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can a dead garage door opener be fixed?

Harry P.

What planet do you live on? Customer service like that was outlawed on Earth many years ago.

Sounds like a conversation with a guy in India who has never seen a garage door before! :lol:

If it's real US/Canada-based service, if I ever get a house with a garage, Genie goes on the list of components.

Then again, considering I'm planning on building a fairly authentic reproduction bungalow (I know....shocking,) the garage may have hinged swing-outs. So if Genie makes those, I'm all set.

Charlie Larkin

No time today for my phone troubleshooting session. Maybe tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

If it's real US/Canada-based service, if I ever get a house with a garage, Genie goes on the list of components.

Then again, considering I'm planning on building a fairly authentic reproduction bungalow (I know....shocking,) the garage may have hinged swing-outs. So if Genie makes those, I'm all set.

Charlie Larkin

They make overhead doors that look just like swing-outs on the outside. ;) My neighbor down the street has them.

No time today for my phone troubleshooting session. Maybe tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

They make overhead doors that look just like swing-outs on the outside. ;) My neighbor down the street has them.

I've seen those..pretty nice. My family's place in E. Ohio has 1860s vintage 'carriage houses' that were later repurposed as two car (end to end) garages...they have hinged swing out doors...which aren't any fun to deal w/ in the winter, as you have to get out to open them. I'm not interested in garage doors that don't work w/ HomeLink...

I've seen those..pretty nice. My family's place in E. Ohio has 1860s vintage 'carriage houses' that were later repurposed as two car (end to end) garages...they have hinged swing out doors...which aren't any fun to deal w/ in the winter, as you have to get out to open them.

And if there's enough snow on the ground, you have to shovel before you can open them. No thanks.

So I called the Genie customer service help line. A tech walked me through a step-by-step diagnosis, testing everything until he determined what the problem was... a bad RPM sensor. Exactly what I thought the problem was after I had done some online research. So the fact that the Genie tech came to the same conclusion after the trouble-shooting sequence is good enough for me. I just ordered the replacement part... we'll see if that was the problem once the part arrives.

And BTW... the tech was an American, not some guy in India named "Brad." :lol:

Nice to know that we still do something here in the USA!

not some guy in India named "Brad." :lol:

Hey I know Brad! :P Actually one of my good friends is an Indian guy named Nick. I car pooled with him for years and got a real respect for Indian culture etc in the process. And his awe of all things American was interesting to see as he (a guy about 40) tried to memorize all the American songs and cars. He was amazed that I did so effortlessly, but I assured him it was just because I had a 30 year head start. And it was fun taking him out to buy his very first Christmas tree! (the fir kind, not the racetrack one)

I don't mean to come down on Indians. I was just talking about those India-based call centers when the guy has an obvious Indian accent but says his name is "Bill" or "Joe" or some other American name... when you know that's not really the case! In fact, I once saw a story on 60 Minutes on those Indian call centers that American companies use. They even train the call center employees how to speak with an "American" accent.

Mmmmm...Indian food !!! A big plateful of lamb vindaloo and a giant Kingfisher (brewed with pure Ganges river water) would sure go good while waiting for the next installment of "Harry fixes his garage-door opener". I wish they had take-away curry shops here on every other block like I remember in Old Blighty.

Mmmmm...Indian food !!! A big plateful of lamb vindaloo and a giant Kingfisher (brewed with pure Ganges river water) would sure go good while waiting for the next installment of "Harry fixes his garage-door opener". I wish they had take-away curry shops here on every other block like I remember in Old Blighty.

Mmmm...tasty. I've got a few really good Indian restaurants close to my office and home. May have to go out for a curry tonite.

I don't mean to come down on Indians. I was just talking about those India-based call centers when the guy has an obvious Indian accent but says his name is "Bill" or "Joe" or some other American name... when you know that's not really the case! In fact, I once saw a story on 60 Minutes on those Indian call centers that American companies use. They even train the call center employees how to speak with an "American" accent.

No offense taken! It's pretty much a running joke. There was one skit I saw, "allo? my name is Skippy. How can I help you?"

Call centers and software are big business in India. They're actually building American style office space. In fact the US manufacturer Haworth office furniture actually built a factory in India to supply cubicles.

Tom, you units aren't that old. I was working at sears when the electic eyes came in and that was less than 10 years ago. If you need parts Sears probably carries them. Sears has parts on the Sears.com web site under the Parts Direct tab. FYI the Craftsman brand door openers are mostly Chamberlin units. They also make Liftmaster units.

A bit older than that. I just looked at mine and it has a date of 4/94 on it.

As for the Genie troubleshooting help line...

swing and a miss! :(

Based on the tests they had me do while they were on the phone guiding me through the process, they told me I needed a new RPM sensor. Since that was the same conclusion as what I found after I had researched online, I figured that had to be the problem, so I bought the new part and installed it.

No go. The opener still wasn't opening. So I called the help line back, and this time the tech went through even more diagnostics and tests, and pretty much narrowed it down to the only part that it possibly could still be... the main circuit board (the brains of the whole operator).

Just bought a new board on Amazon, and will see if that was the trouble. If not, I'm in the market for a new opener!

swing and a miss! :(

Ack! I ordered a RPM sensor for my Sears unit today off eBay. Cheap gamble, $12 with free shipping. Looking at my unit on the Sears service site, it could be that, the main board or the limit switch. I guess the capacitor is a works or not works deal. Both of mine work intermittently. So I'll try the new part in each of them to see if it cures either.

I noticed that new units are in the $200 range.. plus I'd have to pay them to install them since I don't have experience doing it, nor any help. Probably should just do that, but the stubborn fools we are.. we just have to fix it!

Ack! I ordered a RPM sensor for my Sears unit today off eBay. Cheap gamble, $12 with free shipping. Looking at my unit on the Sears service site, it could be that, the main board or the limit switch. I guess the capacitor is a works or not works deal. Both of mine work intermittently. So I'll try the new part in each of them to see if it cures either.

I noticed that new units are in the $200 range.. plus I'd have to pay them to install them since I don't have experience doing it, nor any help. Probably should just do that, but the stubborn fools we are.. we just have to fix it!

You're right, the capacitor is a works/doesn't work thing. If the motor runs at all, it's not the capacitor.

I also ordered the RPM sensor figuring it was a cheap gamble (also $12). No go. So I'm going with a new mother board. If that doesn't fix it, I quit! New opener!

Everything else has been eliminated. The Genie tech had me check the limit switches, the door-mounted pushbutton, everything. It literally has to be the main circuit board (which includes the open/close force adjusters)... there are no other parts left that it could possibly be. The board should arrive today, I'll report what happens... :D

BTW... installing a garage door opener is simple. Time consuming, but nothing difficult or technical. All you need is a stepladder and a few basic hand tools (sockets, adjustable wrench, screwdriver). I did mine, I had no experience doing that, or any help. I just followed the instructions step by step. I'm sure you can also do it.

HOW do I get sucked into following a thread like this?

The drama is palpable. Will Harry's cheap-guy fix work? Will Harry beat planned obsolescence? Will Harry be defeated by the recalcitrant garage door opener? Man vs. Machine? What will the outcome be?

Tune in again soon for the next episode, America. The plot simmers. The excitement continues!

Update for Dan, who I know is following this thread breathlessly...

New circuit board arrived this afternoon. I'll install it tomorrow.

I have no idea how you'll be able to sleep tonight... the suspense will be killing you! :lol:

Update for Dan, who I know is following this thread breathlessly...

New circuit board arrived this afternoon. I'll install it tomorrow.

I have no idea how you'll be able to sleep tonight... the suspense will be killing you! :lol:

:unsure: Tomorrow? I gotta wait til tomorrow? :unsure: