#41 customcory

customcory

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Cory Vaughn

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:24 AM

remember the vw motor in the old Futurista 3 wheeler from Monogram?

#42 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Full Name:D.W. Verts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

No Cory, what was it like?

Dale

#43 customcory

customcory

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:59 AM

Attached File  fut vw1.jpg   54.69KB   0 downloadsIts detailed pretty good, it has a big breather on top of the motor, chrome stock valve covers, I got to get my model out and see exactly what was there, I have one pic. Somebody glued the generator in the wrong place , but you get a idea.

#44 customcory

customcory

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

Here are the instructions Attached File  futurista3copy-vi.jpg   531.08KB   0 downloads

#45 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:24 AM

Now that's weird-lookin'.

Dale

#46 empinut

empinut

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Murrieta

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

Attached File  007.jpg   289.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  006.jpg   306.05KB   0 downloadsAttached File  005.jpg   305.17KB   0 downloadsAttached File  003.jpg   305.87KB   0 downloadsAttached File  002.jpg   297.89KB   0 downloadsAttached File  001.jpg   299.62KB   0 downloadsThat same motor is basically found in the Lil Van yellow dune buggy Tom Daniel Reissue. The person that built the motor  did not assemble the pieces correctly.

Here is an update:

I added detail to the altenator stand, adding the distinctive ribs and little hole. Also added a hoop to mimic the strap and added the electrical hook up to the top of the altenator.

I took your requests for an IRS tranny and created the side covers which could be added to the Tamiya Tranny. Will also have 2 types of axles/CV joints, one from a 930 Porsche. I custom made IRS trailing arms. These are a little lengthy and beefier(?) for Baja versions, but could be downsized for street versions. I also adjusted a Porsche 5spd tranny to fit the Tamiya chassis. Will add pics later as it is dechroming.

Cheers

#47 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

Excellent. Saves me  alot of work. And gonna cost me some money.

Dale

Edited by Dale W. Verts, 01 June 2014 - 06:03 AM.

#48 bismarck

bismarck

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Little

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

Count me in for at least 2 !! B)

#49 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

I'm dehydrated from all the drooling. Hope this happens soon...

Dale

#50 DrGlueblob

DrGlueblob

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Full Name:Chip Johnson

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

I'm ready with $$ when you are ready to start sellin' em.

#51 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

Waiting. Patiently (sic).

Dale

#52 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:44 AM

Now that Replicas & Minatures has a REAL Baja Bug casting, I need to build a replica of my old `68 Baja I had in the 80's. Plus a VW drag car I had mentioned previously. Please, make this happen! This is indeed a long overdue detail for the VW guys.

#53 randx0

randx0

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Olson

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Cool project , I haven't owned or worked on any VW engines so I have no idea what the difference is between the Porsche and the VW . I always think I'd like to detail one but then I read posts from VeeDub enthusiasts and realize I don't know what 48 IDA, swing arm that ,92 mm this ,or single port even means . I've googled , purchased books even have a few magazines but can't quite see differences that I hear discussed . I'd like an accurate engine to go with the aforementioned Baja bug . Also how does the Hasegawa Kubelwagen engine compare / or be useful in a build like this ? 

#54 empinut

empinut

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Murrieta

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Regarding the engine parts...the Resin caster is working hard on getting some test shots done by mid August to work out any problems before producing some inventory. Because of the Baja bug kit, we agreed to push some offroad wheels and tires ahead of the engine block. I mastered a Jackman style rim along with some other surprises.

Randy.... The Porsche and VW engine are very different, but are based on a similar platform, shape and principles....air/oil cooled, flat four, opposed cylinders, upright fan, Mounted at the rear behind the transmission and rear wheels. The problem is that the model versions in plastic have been poor representations except for the fujimi porsche 356 version and the Tamiya 66 beetle/ Ghia version. How to hot rod vw engines is a great magazine/ book to learn the lingo. Hot VW's magazine is also helpful. Sometimes website or paper catalogs will give you learnings into the differences...check out Mid America motorworks or EMPI or others that advertise in Hot VW magazine. funny thing is, many of the differences of these different engines and parts can't really be seen in 1/25 scale very clearly once most of the parts are placed on the engine. It all depends on how accurate or detailed you want to get.
The kubelwagen engine is a good example of the very early vw engine...25 horse...that would probably not be accurate for a late 60's Baja bug. This engine is also molded a little flat and looks good Detail painted inside the Kubelwagen, but does not look right outside of the engine compartment with no engine tin. I have seen 36 horse engines in Baja bugs....like the amt Meyers Manx kit version, but the trans was the earlier version. Post or send me any questions you may have and I will be glad to help.

#55 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Randy- Old and STOCK VW's had single-barrel carbs with big oil bath air filters. Hot-rodded bugs MAY have dual-carb set-ups with Webers (the 48IDA/IDF was one kind with "48" meaning in millemeters the venturi size, or how "big" the carb was). Weber is just one company- Dellorto, Okrasa, Kadron, etc. are others. Folks know the difference between a Demon and a Rochester on models, so... This is the first mod I would do to a real Type 1 (Bug, Ghia, Thing motor). ANY air-cooled VW for that matter. Dual carbs also bring into account throttle linkages which are VERY noticable on 1:1 cars.

Modern motors had "dual-port" heads, instead of "single port". VERY noticable on an engine.

'68 and earlier Type 1's had "swing-axle" transmissions. After '69 they has IRS. A blaring omission in some kits. Some kits have the old split-case tranny where in a totally unexceptable situation.

The "92mm Jug" comment was smart-aleck on my part. It references the size of the cylinder on a bug engine (a stock 1600 motor had 87mm jugs), and would be impossible to differentiate in a model, or in 1:1 for that matter. Still, us bug afficiandos know.

Here is a stock motor-

https://encrypted-tb...-lCPxuhQV3ca_KQ

Compared to an upgraded one-

https://encrypted-tb...QBRxJt85gRRfCoQ

And a REAL hot-rod-

https://encrypted-tb...G4W-RazHyOfqNPR

Bug-style  motors runnin' superchargers and nitro are the final step. They look NOTHING like a stock motor and would have to be scratch-built.

I think you can see that as much as everyone seems to strike for realism in their molds how the VW guys have been left out. No way am I gonna build one of these new Baja kits with the motor totally exposed, and not make it look right.

Hope this helps some. As my modeling prowess improves I'll show ya'll. I hope.

Dale

Edited by Dale W. Verts, 04 August 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#56 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

Sorry, couldn't get the pics to post as anything but links.

Dale

#57 PatW

PatW

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Wickham

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hey I've just come across this thread and yes I would certainly like to see and hopefully buy a few sets of parts. I have built a turbo Type 1 into an AMT Manx using various scratchbuilt bits of my own in both plastic and alloy. I'm also looking at initially resin casting Manx bodies both in two and four seater versions. I already test casted seats, surfboards and buggy sidepods but in resin plaster just to get the experience of casting, but the engines here are very intertesting.

My one problem is that I am in the UK and shipping costs are the one thing that nearly kills all thoughts of buying from the US, as sometimes we get caught for customs & excise(import) duty. So we buy an item plus $27 shipping and £12 duty , then we pay nearly 3 times the value of the purchase!

86_zps8146aa4c.jpg

Edited by PatW, 04 August 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#58 Dale W. Verts

Dale W. Verts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

GREAT Turbo setup Pat! Too bad on the shipping prices... Do you have any pics of those side pods? I want to do some, and since this is my thread off-topic is okay. A PM would be cool, too.

Dale

#59 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

that's some good plumbing

#60 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

More than 30 yrs. ago I owned this. 1835CC `68 swing axle Baja. I had quiet possibly then ONLY Holley Bug Spray 2 Bbl. that actually worked! PLEASE cast these engines!!!! I must build this car!! 

Image1-vi.jpg

A picture of a picture of a much younger John….. if I could only go back in time to THAT DAY.